.pla playlist

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

untel123

.pla playlist

Post by untel123 »

Hello,
I have an old zen Xtra and wanted to refresh the content. In synchronizing, mp3 files were copied without any problem and quite rapidly. First time I didn't care about playlist type and .m3u playlists were added very rapidly (few minutes) to the player. Then I discovered that .pla had to be used. Changed that, resynchronized and then mediamonkey 4.1.15 takes very long time (hours) to create playlists.

Can this be explained (fast m3u very very slow pla) and fixed ?

As m3u files are written very rapidly I had in mind to modifiy it to a .pla. I could not see any difference between m3u and pla file. To make a test, I just changed the names but player doesn't see the renamed playlists. So there may be differences somewhere. I googled to find pla file structure but could not find anything. Is it possible to manually create a pla file ?

Thanks in advance J guy
Lowlander

Re: .pla playlist

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey and does this still occur after a MediaMonkey and device restart?
untel123

Post by untel123 »

Windows 10 with 4.1.15.1830 and Yes it doesn't change with pc restart nor with zen xtra restart. I also did the test twice : very fast with m3u very very slow with pla.

Thanks J Guy
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You may want to update as you're using an old release: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... =8811&sd=d
untel123

Post by untel123 »

I did the update and it's much faster. So ... newest version solved the problem.

Thanks J Guy
untel123

Post by untel123 »

I did some testing with another Zen Xtra and problem is still there, creating .pla is very very slow. With dbview I saw that to get each song folder location (or something like that), it required 2-4 seconds. I tried resetting everything, nothing changes. I,m using windows 10 family every thing up to date (version 1803 17134.228).

I tried to prepare a dbview report but as I have more than 6000 songs, reports took some time to prepare and it became probably to big, I could not have it saved.

Hope you have enough information with the error log Mediamonkey produced with debug version. Sent August 23rd around 13h45. Before installing the debug version, I had an error saying that device could be frozen and to reset everything and test with wifi. I had that error each time a new .pla was created. I opened dbview when that error happened and Mediamonkey was still creating the .pla playlist with 2-3 seconds for each song of the playlist . I imagine there's a timeout somewhere that was reached.

J guy
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Log size shouldn't be an issue, however if it is you can set it to File > Log to File, so that it continually saves.