newbie help with creating folder structure

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

merlin7777777

newbie help with creating folder structure

Post by merlin7777777 »

Ok, so just installed MM today for the first time - desperate to bring order to my extremely messy,decades old collection of mp3 files.

They're about as bad as you could imagine. Collected from many different devices and drives, no folder structure, separated from their artwork and many duplicates. I reckon there most be upwards of 18000 files including dupes.

I have them all on my laptop hard drive in one main folder which has many assorted sub folders. I don't want to tough these in case I delete anything I shouldn't while I'm trying to organise them. I have an external hard drive I'd like to copy them all to whilst organising them into a folder structure, removing dupes, and fixing all the track information and album art.

I found tools/auto-organise files but I don't really understand how to use it and I couldn't see how to leave my filenames untouched.

Any advice on how to approach this task would be most welcome!
Lowlander

Re: newbie help with creating folder structure

Post by Lowlander »

You'd need to start with making sure the tags are correct in the files if you want to use Auto-Organize Files. Then you can organize them using the tags.

Filename can be left intact by using <Filename> in the Mask: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... ormats/4.0
merlin7777777

Post by merlin7777777 »

Thanks for that. Given the volume of files I have what would you recommend to auto correct them?
Cienega32

Post by Cienega32 »

I can match your numbers with the unorganized files. Mine go back to the old alt.binaries newsgroups of the late 90s and the potpourri of tag "styles" was incredible. One archive name would be the band and the contents were track1, track2 with zero metadata... All sorts of problems with metadata and filenames etc. dupes of various quality. An incredible mess

Myself, I ended up using TagScanner. I tried a few others but, for my needs, I found it efficient and flexible.
merlin7777777

Post by merlin7777777 »

I'll give tags canner a try.... thanks. Is it a freebie and can it batch? Not sure I'll be alive long enough to handle every individual file!
Cienega32

Post by Cienega32 »

I hear you on the life-time event. It's a 'DonateWare' type - fully functional either way.

Screenshots: https://www.xdlab.ru/en/screen.htm

My best feature with all the garbage files was the 'Generate tags from filename'. Whatever tags are a part of the filename can be manipulated into their proper tag-fields. Then rename the filename with the title tag and it's all good for me. Rename folder with album name, etc. With full album/CD tracks that have no metadata, once you get enough decent info established, it can search online for all the specifics and art work, etc.

Like I said, for me - it was perfect. It has changed a bit in the interface but poking around clears any confusion.