Issues with Collections/Tree Nodes/Views

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Davo

Issues with Collections/Tree Nodes/Views

Post by Davo »

1. Composer or Conductor only display in the Grid View. The other views just display all albums or tracks without reference to the selected node

2. Selecting a composer/conductor in the grid view does not display the albums associated with the selection. It only displays the composer name & play buttonss. But of course there is nothing to play. If you click on the composer link it then takes you to another screen with some general info about the composer gleaned i assume from some external source, but still no info about the albums that are in my library. This appears to be a design flaw.

3. Path/File in the criteria selection for the Collection only gives you the choice of Contains or Not Contains. This is inconsistent with the criteria choices provided for other fields

4. In the Tree pane i would like to see a list of the items under the nodes. You provide it for "Years" but nothing else. This is generally the quickest way to select things, eg artist, composer, conductor etc. My library contains more than 200k files. Wading/Scrolling through graphical displays is too cumbersome. Also i don't want to have to compose search queries every time i 'm looking for an item.
David

Re: Issues with Collections/Tree Nodes/Views

Post by Davo »

No response? - Am i missing something here
David

Post by Ludek »

Davo wrote:1. Composer or Conductor only display in the Grid View. The other views just display all albums or tracks without reference to the selected node

2. Selecting a composer/conductor in the grid view does not display the albums associated with the selection. It only displays the composer name & play buttonss. But of course there is nothing to play. If you click on the composer link it then takes you to another screen with some general info about the composer gleaned i assume from some external source, but still no info about the albums that are in my library. This appears to be a design flaw.
Thanks, we'll add this to our bug tracking system and will definetely look into them.
Davo wrote: 3. Path/File in the criteria selection for the Collection only gives you the choice of Contains or Not Contains. This is inconsistent with the criteria choices provided for other fields
This was just ported from MM4, but you are true that it makes sense to add "Start with" and "Doesn't start with" choices as well. Added as http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14654
Davo wrote: 4. In the Tree pane i would like to see a list of the items under the nodes. You provide it for "Years" but nothing else. This is generally the quickest way to select things, eg artist, composer, conductor etc. My library contains more than 200k files. Wading/Scrolling through graphical displays is too cumbersome. Also i don't want to have to compose search queries every time i 'm looking for an item.
You can easily add them back by installing "showAllNodes" script, it is in the sampleScripts folder in your MM5 install folder.
As for the "quickest way to select things", IMHO the quickest way to select an artist on large libraries is just to type the artist name in the artist grid (when Artists node is selected), often only first two letters give you a concrete filter to bring the artist item into view. Expanding the Artists node directly in the tree (like in MM4) is cumbersome.
Davo

Post by Davo »

Thanks Ludek
I've installed "show all nodes" & that is what i was after. I'll try your suggestion of typing directly in the grid view also.
In the " show all nodes" view it would be good if you could search in the node by typing in the first few letters. If i try to do that now it locks the application up with an error message which i have submitted.
David

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
I will look at your crash report, but can you specify what do you mean by " show all nodes" view?
If I go to Music > Artists node and type "beatl" then it filters the grid and shows only "The Beatles" artist in the grid, isn't it?
Davo

Post by Davo »

can you specify what do you mean by " show all nodes" view?
If I go to Music > Artists node and type "beatl" then it filters the grid and shows only "The Beatles" artist in the grid, isn't it?
You are correct. The filter works as you explain. But only if the node is not expanded.

I have used the term"view" incorrectly, What i should have said is - When i expand the Artist node (or any other node) & then type in a few letters to the query box MM freezes and displays an error message which i have submitted each time it happened

So the problem has something to do with the expanded nodes.
David

Post by Davo »

After further testing - Update to my previous post

The problem has become intermittent. The system will also freeze (intermittently) if you switch between nodes and/or views.
David

Post by Ludek »

Hi, although I still cannot replicate the issue -- I see some logs from PC name "DAVID-PC" so I suspects that these are yours?
Re the steps to replicate: Are you also collapsing the Artists node or you have just clicked it, expanded and typed something?

EDIT: I've just most probably fixed the crash, please re-test in build 2090 once is available.
Thanks!
Davo

Post by Davo »

Thanks Ludek
Yes they are my logs. I'll test again in the next version. Do you have an ETA for it
David

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It should be very soon after few more finishing tweaks, fixes and touches are added.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Davo

Post by Davo »

GENRE - issue
I have my own set of genres which i use for tagging. When I expand the node i just want to see these genres. The "All Genre" subnode is redundant & just creates an unnecessary extra level.

I would also like to remove the high level genres that come with the node. MM appears to read my tagged genres & associate them with one of MM's high level genres.
The results often don't make any sense. I suspect because it's looking for key words or some other criteria i'm not aware of.
David

Post by Ludek »

Davo wrote:I would also like to remove the high level genres that come with the node.
Just use the view selector arrow and change it from "Genre Categories" to "Genres", it will show genres like in MM4 then (without the extra level of genre categories).
Davo

Post by Davo »

ok i did that but it only changes it in the "grid" view. The nodes in the tree stay the same. I want to use the tree nodes to find genres ( and artists, albums etc) The tree nodes are where i expect to find searcheable lists. At the moment searches are'nt reflected in the tree. ie if i seach for an artist it brings it up in the grid view but not in the tree.

To use an anology, When i go to the supermarket i take a list of items i need. I don't need a picture of every item because i know what things look like. Now when i get to the checkout i notice the staff do need the pictures because a lot of them would'nt know the difference between a parsnip & a turnip.
David

Post by Friedrich »

Davo wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:43 pm I want to use the tree nodes to find genres ( and artists, albums etc) The tree nodes are where i expect to find searcheable lists. At the moment searches are'nt reflected in the tree. ie if i seach for an artist it brings it up in the grid view but not in the tree.
There is already an extension available to enable the treeview of the left side nodes:
Inside the installation folder there is a folder "SampleScripts":
"showAllNodes.mmip" does the job:
Treeviews on the left nodes.

Installs and works well even under Linux/Wine..
MM5 (2606)and MM4 (1919) installed and running well on:
Debian 11 KDE, EndeavourOS KDE (wine 7.4 via playonlinux), Win10 64bit
Davo

Post by Davo »

I'm now testing the v5 final alpha build
Collections & their nodes still have problems. eg I have a Collection which is defined by one rule which is a pathname. but the nodes eg genre artist etc are displaying tracks/albums with a different path. To my way of thinking if collections have rules then the nodes associated with the Collection should follow the same rules.

I've written before about genres & i still see the same problem. I cannot see why you have to impose your own set of genres. I only won't to see the genres i actually use & i dont want them arbitrarily attached to your idea of what a Genre is. Genre is really a marketing definition & not a universally agreed standard.
The extension 'show all nodes' does not solve this problem.
I will continue testing as time allows
David