multiple collections with duplicate files

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

tredso1

multiple collections with duplicate files

Post by tredso1 »

Hi all,

I've read through what I can find on this topic but I think I'm missing a piece of the puzzle. Let me explain my issue. I have a collection of music, some of it FLAC and some if it mp3. I have playlists for this and have been using this happily for a while now. I maintain the FLAC and the MP3 in different directory trees like: Music/FLAC/Artist/Album and Music/Compressed/Artist/Album. Over time I'm filling in the FLAC collection and I purchase more CDs to rip and improve the quality of the library. I maintain a third directory tree that I do not have scanned into MediaMonkey which I have for synching to my Zune. Music/Mobile/Artist/Album. This is all the transcodes of the FLAC to mp3 plus all the mp3 I own in one place that I can choose what to sync with the Zune. I have about 26k tracks so it doesn't all fit on the 80GB player so I have to choose what to sync. I've been doing the same thing with my phone and using MMA on my phone but
I've been very unhappy with the lack of volume leveling on the phone since I have been just copying the files to the SD card rather than syncing with MMW. Now I want to try and sync between MMW and MMA as I have a larger enough CD card to fit the entire compressed collection on my phone.
The answer lies somewhere in Collections, I know that. But I'm unclear how to get all the MP3s that are duplicates of the FLACs into MMW without having duplicate, lower quality tracks that will come up when I shuffle play. I can't seem to figure out how to create the second Collection. I assume once I have the second Collection made with all the files from the third directory, I will be able to choose just those to sync with my phone and I'll be all set. I just don't want all those mp3 tracks messing up my good FLAC tracks. I use shuffle play a lot through the sound system attached to my computer and through Squeezebox.
Is there a way to do this right and still make sure I only get the tracks from the FLAC + Compressed directories when I shuffle play and not the Mobile one? And to make sure I can sync to just the Mobile directory on the phone?
Sorry if this has been answered, I could not locate it. And does this mean I need to scan the Mobile directory into the Library?

Thanks,

Tony
Lowlander

Re: multiple collections with duplicate files

Post by Lowlander »

You can use Collections (File > Manage Collections) and use Path as Criteria as that's how you've set it up physically already. You can also use Extension.

For playing files you can also use AutoPlaylists with either the Extension or Path Criteria.

Both Collections and AutoPlaylists can be used to setup Auto-Sync and Auto-DJ.
Nachol

Post by Nachol »

Hello.
I am trying to do exactly the same as you are with my collection and devices.
I also have my FLAC files on a directory, and the mp3s on a separate directory, so there is no danger of physically having duplicates.
The problem is when I add my music to MediaMonkey for Windows (MMW), with the intention of syncing to my Walkman or phone.
I wish I knew how to program a script and run it, so that I can create a playlist or collection with all my tracks, but giving preference to the FLAC ones, and whenever there is a track both as FLAC and a compressed file type, the script willl only let the FLACs through, but for the rest let the mp3s or m4a through.
I don't seem to understand the reply that you received, do you? Or what should I do exactly to avoid the duplicates.

The only solution that I've come up with so far is go through the list or collection, artist by artist, then album by album and finally track by track and remove from the list or collection those mp3 or m4a that I already have as FLACs. This is extremely time consuming and I have not really processed more than a handful of tracks.

Thanks
Nachol

Post by Nachol »

Lowlander wrote:You can use Collections (File > Manage Collections) and use Path as Criteria as that's how you've set it up physically already. You can also use Extension.

For playing files you can also use AutoPlaylists with either the Extension or Path Criteria.

Thank you. I'm unable to grasp the idea of the solution you are proposing. Could you please elaborate?
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

I am not quite sure what your set up is and what problem you are trying to solve. Do you have both FLAC and MP3 versions of the same tracks?
Nachol wrote:
Lowlander wrote:You can use Collections (File > Manage Collections) and use Path as Criteria as that's how you've set it up physically already. You can also use Extension.

Thank you. I'm unable to grasp the idea of the solution you are proposing. Could you please elaborate?
Nachol

Post by Nachol »

[quote="yarguy"]I am not quite sure what your set up is and what problem you are trying to solve. Do you have both FLAC and MP3 versions of the same tracks?

Yes sir.
What I want to do is have playlists or collections available, either for playback directly through MMW or to sync and play through my devices.
My FLACs are on one folder, and the compressed versions are in another. I have a very large collection of compressed files. The FLAC collection is smaller.
I must keep both folders into MMW, otherwise it is much more difficult for me to manage them.
I could probably go removing (not deleting) those mp3s or m4as duplicates, but that has proven to be very time consuming. When I first started ripping my CDs into FLAC, I did not realize there would be a big problem when I wanted to choose.

For those files which I have a duplicate in FLAC, I'd like to have these in my playlists/collections, not the compressed version.

I hope I made myself clear

Thank you.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

@Nachol, This isn't possible, no such solution exists in MediaMonkey. Note that generally you'd have a single copy of any given file and let Auto-Conversion take care of things on sync or DLNA streaming.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

If the only reason you have an MP3 duplicate of a FLAC file is for syncing, then delete the MP3. MM will do the conversion when you sync. http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ration/4.0
Nachol

Post by Nachol »

yarguy wrote:If the only reason you have an MP3 duplicate of a FLAC file is for syncing, then delete the MP3. MM will do the conversion when you sync. http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ration/4.0
Thank you.
As I said before, it's very easy to do more work than necessary when you don't know your tools.
I am in the process of removing my mp3s from the library, but I have to go artist by artist or album by album. Too much work.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There are tools to help manage duplicates: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ate-tracks