Adding... Scanning Folders?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MortTheBeast

Adding... Scanning Folders?

Post by MortTheBeast »

So I have 1 drive dedicated for my music and inside is individual folders labeled with the Artists and at the very bottom I have XMAS SONGS folder... so I added the drive and deselected the XMAS folder, but each time I restart the program, it's re-adds the XMAS folder back. I do have it on Scan at Startup. But it shouldn't be scanning a folder that isn't checked and even tried checking off the Hide Unselected Items
Lowlander

Re: Adding... Scanning Folders?

Post by Lowlander »

What is scanned by the Startup Scan from Folder Monitoring is set on the right side of the Add/Rescan Files window. What is selected or unselected on the left side has no bearing on this (it is the manual scan selection).
MortTheBeast

Post by MortTheBeast »

Lowlander wrote:What is scanned by the Startup Scan from Folder Monitoring is set on the right side of the Add/Rescan Files window. What is selected or unselected on the left side has no bearing on this (it is the manual scan selection).
So what your saying is basically, that the software is coded in a way that makes the user have to rearrange their entire library. I guess MM isn't for me then. I have had no issue like this from previous software and shifted to MM because of it's tons of bonus features. But this is something that should be considered a basic feature in any kind of software when dealing with a large file base, be it music or any kind of file system.

Whats even the point of having the left side say "Select the folders you want to scan for media files". If in essence you can't actually select or deselect folders you want added or removed? It's like going to a Penny Candy Store and finding out most of what they offer cost $1.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey scans what you select. So if you select is scanned. So if you select a folder, it and it's subfolders are scanned.

If you don't want subfolders scanned you'll need to select each sub-folder separately that you do want to be scanned.
MortTheBeast

Post by MortTheBeast »

As I said though, I have 4 drives and one of them is for just my music. Each band has their own folder... so for example it would look like this when you open up the drive:

ACDC
Ace of Base
Billy Joel
Black Sabbath
Boston
Cassidy
Chris Brown
Ciara
Ozzy
XMas Songs

So why can't I use the Select/Deselect to "deselect" XMas Songs folder? Is it really that much more coding involved for such a simple and basic functionality?

EDIT: And you say subfolders, but each one of those is a primary folder, subfolders would be folders within the primary folders.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It works the same on the left and right. You'll need to setup each sub-folder you want Monitored.

It seems you'd be much better of scanning all files and using Collections to Filter out certain content like Christmas Music.
MortTheBeast

Post by MortTheBeast »

Lowlander wrote:It works the same on the left and right. You'll need to setup each sub-folder you want Monitored.

It seems you'd be much better of scanning all files and using Collections to Filter out certain content like Christmas Music.
There is no option on the right side, because it's monitoring my entire D drive... so that's the only option the right. So for me to get it the way I want, I'm forced to jump through unneeded hoops rather than then there be basic functionality. I guess I will have to move onto something else, which really sucks because I'm going to end up losing a lot of extra's.

I will post a thread in the wishlist section and hope something changes so I can come back to MM. Thanks for the help though.

Post by Guest »

If you highlight the folder in the scanlist (by selecting NOT ticking) then use the monitor check box it will then mark that folder as one to be monitored.

Hope this helps.

Kevin