Global settings for Auto Playlists

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

olivechicago

Global settings for Auto Playlists

Post by olivechicago »

In my world, it is safe to say that if I have skipped a song 20 times, I simply do not like that track and I never want to (in)voluntarily hear that song ever again.

When I make Auto Playlists, they are generally pretty simple. Everything by a specific artist. Everything for a specific genre. I don't really get too crazy with the number of rules.

Sometimes I forget to put certain caveats into these auto playlists.

I'm not a fan of live recordings. As it is, when I stumble across a track that is a live recording, I toss LIVE into one of the custom fields I set aside for that purpose, and end up setting my auto playlist to include "live recording is unknown." If it's blank, it makes it into the list. If it has Live or Yes or Horrible Audio or TMT (Too Much Treble) or just random gibberish like "dhrhehjfd" it does not get added to the playlist

It would be really cool if there would be a global setting for auto playlists. Below are rules that I try to remember to add into my auto playlists

Do not add tracks with skip count higher than X
-or maybe do not add tracks with skip counts higher than play count
Do not add tracks if custom field (number or name, as there tends to be inconsistency between MMW and addons as to what descriptor the user sees in relation to the custom field) is known/unknown
Only add (or do not add) the following Types to auto playlists.

Then in the auto playlist criteria, a toggle for apply/don't apply global autoplaylist settings.
Lowlander

Re: Global settings for Auto Playlists

Post by Lowlander »

I tie all AutoPlaylists to a custom Collection. Whatever I set in the Collection applies to all the associated AutoPlaylists. One setting change and Christmas Music is included or excluded from all AutoPlaylists.
olivechicago

Post by olivechicago »

Interesting

It works, but maybe I am missing something or looking at it the wrong way.

One of my personal genres which I have an AutoPlaylist for is "Chicago Punk Rock." This genre has 800 tracks, 29 Artists across 76 albums. Any time I add new music from bands who reside in or have close ties to Chicago to my library, I add "Chicago Punk Rock" to the track(s) genre.

My Chicago Punk Rock AutoPlaylist criteria is:
--Genre equals Chicago Punk Rock (side note, "equals" is so misleading. Equals means equals. If the genre for a track has "Rock; Punk Rock; Chicago Punk Rock" it should fail the equals test because, well... it's not equal. Contains makes more sense to me. I cannot tell you how long I chose "contains" and typed the value out before I tried it with equals and used the handy check boxes to discover it works just as well. Moving on)
--Live Recording is unknown
--Skipped # <= 20

Criteria applied, this AutoPlaylist has 696 tracks.

Using one of my parameters, skip count. I'd still have to set the criteria "Skipped # <= 20" for each collection, just as I would for the AutoPlaylist. And since I don't want any of my AutoPlaylists to include tracks that have been skipped 20 or more times, I'd still have to set this criteria for each collection.

What am I missing?
olivechicago

Post by olivechicago »

Nevermind... I got it.
:lol:

Put my "global settings" as a portion of the criteria.

Slick!
olivechicago

Post by olivechicago »

Goddamn this really a great program.

The purchase price is a steal if you ask me!