Multiple Artist Handling on Android Showing Up with Slash

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

jdgnewhaven

Multiple Artist Handling on Android Showing Up with Slash

Post by jdgnewhaven »

Recently got onto MM and am a big fan -- had been fighting iTunes for a while and didn't know what other options were out there. My computer library is handling my multi-artist tracks correctly (i.e. if it's by "Aventura; Don Omar" it shows up under both "Aventura" and "Don Omar". I decided to try out MM for Android, and the player has a nice feel but the multi-artist tracks are processing as "Aventura/Don Omar" which is exactly what I'd like to avoid. Strangely, I have some tracks that are multi-genre and they show up exactly the way I want. I assume that means that the Android player can read and process the tags, but that somewhere along the way the tags are getting messed up. I made sure to update all my tags before syncing, though, so I'm not sure what to try now. If someone who knows more about ID3 tagging or syncing could help out, it would be much appreciated!

-should be latest version of MM
-should be latest version of Android App, just downloaded it
mr.gerald

Re: Multiple Artist Handling on Android Showing Up with Slas

Post by mr.gerald »

I too would like to know the solution to this. Or see the feature implemented.
phaedrusnyc

Post by phaedrusnyc »

So I created an account just to answer this question and it turns out it was asked 2 years ago and no response. My multiple artists tags were meticulously switched over to use "/" as a delimiter when I found out that would be the id standard going forward...but MediaMonkey doesn't process them. And it looks like semicolons aren't working for you. So I guess MM just doesn't work with tags.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You'll need to provide more details. Did you change the delimiter in MMW (this will work, it's only visual) or in another program? Did you sync from MMW to MMA (this will work) or loaded the files another way onto the phone (this relies on Android Media Scanner for tag interpretation).
phaedrusnyc

Doesn't sort multiple artists, genres, at all

Post by phaedrusnyc »

Phone stats: Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900T0
Android 6.0.1 w/07/01/2016 Security Patch

I installed MediaMonkey on my phone because the reviews said it would be the best thing to robustly handle my very, very large library of media, which I have in the past used TagScanner to tag properly. The issue is that the app completely fails to sort fields with multiple data separately at all, regardless of delimiter. My collection has used in the artist fields the "/" delimiter because that is the idV3 standard...however, I copied songs with multiple artists and rather than sorting into multiple artists, the app treats a field with a slash as one, unique name. After looking around I thought the problem might be that MM is idiosyncratic about it's delimiters, so I tested by replacing the slashes on one album with semicolons. Nothing changed.The same goes for genre.

Interestingly, I installed MMW to see if this had the same issue, and it's handling the delimiters exactly the way it should.

Searching the forums it looks like this problem or variations have been ongoing for years without anyone actually offering solutions.
Last edited by Lowlander on Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
phaedrusnyc

Post by phaedrusnyc »

Lowlander wrote:You'll need to provide more details. Did you change the delimiter in MMW (this will work, it's only visual) or in another program? Did you sync from MMW to MMA (this will work) or loaded the files another way onto the phone (this relies on Android Media Scanner for tag interpretation).
As I said, the delimiters were originally put in through TagScanner and other programs based on the standard of the latest version of id3v2, ie, forward slashes. I changed the delimiters to semicolons on one album to see if anything would change in how it's handled by the program. I have done so both using TagScanner and by directly changing it in MMA itself. Doing so made no difference either way,

As far as syncing goes, I have no idea how that even work nor why it should be necessary to have MMW to even use MMA in the first place (I frankly prefer WinAmp, as old as it is, on my PC). I have about 250GB worth of music tracks compiled over decades and copied to a microSD card that has been in my phone since I got it. I installed MMA because I was not happy with the library functions of the built in Samsung player. There was no importing involved beyond the usual scanning of the library by the program.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

For starters you'll need to use whatever the standard defines for the file type as delimiter. The option to change delimiter in MMW is only a display change, it doesn't change the underlying delimiter used in the files tags.

MMA currently relies on MMW for proper tag transfer as otherwise it relies on Android Media Scanner. MMA 2.0 should come with more features and I think I've read its own tag scanner. As Android Media Scanner seems to struggle a lot with tags the current advice is to use MMW to sync to MMA as MMW will directly update the MMA database with the correct tags instead of relying on Android Media Scanner.

In your scenario you could rely on MMW only for syncing while still using WinAmp for everything else. MMA 2.0 should improve the user experience for those not using MMW to sync.
phaedrusnyc

Post by phaedrusnyc »

Lowlander wrote:For starters you'll need to use whatever the standard defines for the file type as delimiter. The option to change delimiter in MMW is only a display change, it doesn't change the underlying delimiter used in the files tags.

MMA currently relies on MMW for proper tag transfer as otherwise it relies on Android Media Scanner. MMA 2.0 should come with more features and I think I've read its own tag scanner. As Android Media Scanner seems to struggle a lot with tags the current advice is to use MMW to sync to MMA as MMW will directly update the MMA database with the correct tags instead of relying on Android Media Scanner.

In your scenario you could rely on MMW only for syncing while still using WinAmp for everything else. MMA 2.0 should improve the user experience for those not using MMW to sync.
As I said, I use the id3 standard, which is slashes.

Thanks for the information...but I don't think it's worthwhile to re-transfer hundreds of gigs of music just to use an app. Maybe I'll check it out again if they work out a way to make the Android app truly stand-alone.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
For ID3 Standard, default multi value separator is ";" not slash. You can tell MMW to show Slash as separtor but multi value in tags would still be ";"
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts