Duplicate files

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Bookwalter

Duplicate files

Post by Bookwalter »

Greetings! I'm in the process of removing duplicate files that have amassed in my Library over the years (yes, lazy, busy). So I went to the Duplicate Files/Duplicate Content tab in the tree, and sure enough it pulled out a whole bunch of them. But, are all of the titles listed duplicates or is this just a list of All the titles? If I delete all of the listed files, amI losing my original file? I am not finding any info on this, so I dont want to delete anything until I figure out exactly what is in the list.

I also found on here that I can enable duplicate tracks to be eliminated automatically when importing from my Library. Does anyone else use this? Is it effective?

I have multiple folders of music, created over the years, that are in serious need of cleaning/organizing. I just dont have the time like I used to to do this, and I am not all that up on technology these days and certainly cant code. Are there any tools out there to help me automate the process of combing through folders and eliminating all those duplicate files?

Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated.

I'm using whatever the latest release of MM that there is. I used to play with random plugins, but I am definitely behind technologically.
Lowlander

Re: Duplicate files

Post by Lowlander »

It includes all copies of the file, thus you'll need to delete all but one to keep 1 copy in the Library. Note that these are just tools and require the user to decide what is a duplicate and what isn't, and what to keep and what to delete.

Also see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ate-tracks
VladTepes

Post by VladTepes »

Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Yeah, but that is another commercial app I need to pay and it doesn't integrate in MMW (Gray tracks everywhere) and too Automatic without handling of Playlists.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
VladTepes

Post by VladTepes »

There's a free version that has most of the functionality most people would need.

Why would you need or want to integrate it into MM ?

Yous aid you have a lot of duplicates. Just use a program like audio de-dupe to get rid of all the duplicates then rescan the library and all will be lovely !
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Yes you are right but full Clean rescan would loose my playlists (Have around 2k of them) and 15 Years of Statistics, device sync profiles, ... Imagine that on 120k library like mine.
Best regards,
Peke
VladTepes

Post by VladTepes »

haha yeah well that'd be a bastard :)
bookwalter

Post by bookwalter »

Thanks to all who replied to this. I now have more than enough tools to clean and organize the filth that I call my Library. Much appreciated!
VladTepes

Post by VladTepes »

How did you go? All sorted?

What tools did you end up using with success?
bigcebo

Post by bigcebo »

Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix...
pamelasplayroom

Post by pamelasplayroom »

i have a similar problem but im not that bothered about playlists and other info. i just have around 7.5k of duplicates.
any chance of sharing the tools that you used as im sure that im not the only one with large amounts of duplicates.
many thanks
Peke

Post by Peke »

For duplicate files I use MMW, under Files to edit you can tools to list all duplicates so that you delete only those you do not want to keep until only one is left.

HINT: You can use F5 to refresh track list view.
Best regards,
Peke
pamelasplayroom

Post by pamelasplayroom »

thanks peke. i understand that.
the problem that i have is i have around 98000 music files and the duplicate content tab under files to edit has over 7379 entries, each containing 2,3 or more duplicate files that may or may not have the same file name and/or tag information.

if there was a way to be able to display the acousticid that is generated (saved to a idv3 tag) so that files could be sorted in the view entire library tab then the library could be sorted on that tag field and things would be fairly easy.
as it is opening each duplicate set and selecting the files to delite and clicking confirm is a fairly slow process given the starting quantity of duplicates.

any ideas for a fairly easy method gratefully received.
arnouddevries49

Post by arnouddevries49 »

everyone talks about "under files..." I dont have "files" ????
Can anyone make a screenshot?

I have:
My collection
>>location
>>artist
>>album
>>genre
>>year

Stupid I can not uload a screenshot..and hey...I am Dutch and I use Dutch languages in MediMonkey

Irritating duplicates! Why

Why not use folder and files why stupid labels --- too messy