Can no longer add music to MM

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

JimPa

Can no longer add music to MM

Post by JimPa »

After a few successful months of being a new MM user, my motherboard decided to die last week :(

I've since replaced the motherboard and all is back up and running again (I also upgraded to Win 10 from W7 in the process) but I can no longer add new music to MM. I used to just drag a bunch of files directly onto the Music node in MM and they would be sucked up into my library.

But now when I drag any files over the music node, the cursor remains as a 'no entry' icon and won't allow me to drag anything in. Neither can I drag anything onto the 'Now Playing' pane as it also stays as a 'no entry' icon.

Have I missed something obvious after adding my new motherboard? My hard drives are structured exactly the same so my music library is still in it's original location.
Lowlander

Re: Can no longer add music to MM

Post by Lowlander »

That should work (which version of MediaMonkey are you on?). Have you tried File > Add/Rescan Files instead?

Related: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.php/WebHelp:
JimPa

Post by JimPa »

Tried it several times now and definitely not working like it used to (running latest ver 4.1.19.1859).

The only way I seem able to add new music is to right-click the file/files I want to add and select "Play in Mediamonkey", at which point they then appear in the Now Playing pane. From there I can then drag them to the music node and they then finally get added to my library.

It just won't let me drag them from my desktop straight onto the music node like I used to do.

Oh well, bottom of my list of current problems trying to restore system from a dead motherboard! Will have a play around and post back if I manage to resolve it.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Maybe they're in a reserved folder like VirtualCD, Previews or UPnP Cache?
Hdhntr23

Post by Hdhntr23 »

I'm having the same issue but mine started when I changed the collection of my music to be based on a folder vs. the "stock" criteria.

The only way I can now add music to my original "my music" collection is to put it in a watched folder now vs. file/add/rescan.

Any help would be appreciated.

To the OP... I don't mean to threadjack so apologies.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you change the Criteria for Music the file will need to match it to be shown there. Use Entire Library (enable under File > Manage Collections) instead as it always shows all files in the Library.
Hdhntr23

Post by Hdhntr23 »

Lowlander wrote:If you change the Criteria for Music the file will need to match it to be shown there. Use Entire Library (enable under File > Manage Collections) instead as it always shows all files in the Library.
How can I fix mine so that it works the way it used to as well as shows just that collection? Is it possible?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Default Criteria is Type = Music; Classical Music
Hdhntr23

Post by Hdhntr23 »

Will that still allow me to see the music in "my music" as well as operate the auto-organize rules in it? That and most importantly... allow the other collections show up and use the file/add+rescan?

Thanks!

Also, if you are USA based... happy Thanksgiving!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, but Auto-Organize would depend on how you set it up. Note that you can use Entire Library instead and leave Music as is. Entire Library as said will show all files in the MediaMonkey Library as it has no Filters.
JimPa

Post by JimPa »

Could this be something to do with the UAC settings in Win 10? The reason is that every time I launch MM I get the "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" message. I clicked to view the Thawte certificate for the app and it says "Valid from 24/08/2015 to 22/11/2017" so apparently that expired a couple of days ago.

My Win account has admin privileges and I checked that I am definitely running as admin.
JimPa

Post by JimPa »

Thought I'd managed to figure this out eventually after a clean re-install of Win 10. I'm now able to drag and drop music onto the music node and it gets added to my main library.

The problem is it also deletes anything on my desktop when it does this. For example, I download an mp3 file to my desktop and drag it onto my music node. The track gets added to my library but it also deletes whatever else was on my desktop and puts that in the same folder in my music library (I made sure I only had the mp3 selected).

Say I have a shortcut link to my Google drive folder on my desktop, this gets moved over too by MM. So when I look in my main music library for the artist just added I can see the new mp3 is in the artist folder but I can also see my Google drive shortcut in there too. I tried adding a couple of test files to my desktop like a blank txt file. Whenever MM adds the music file from the desktop it also takes everything else on there too along with it.

I do have Auto Organize enabled but I tried it with "Delete emptied folders" checked and unchecked. Same thing happens whatever.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's likely considering them associated files. You should have a separate folder for your media files if you're using Auto-Organize so that this doesn't happen.
ggsmit

Post by ggsmit »

SOLVED, SEE LAST BIT

same problem as thread starter JimPa - actually the thread topic is slightly misleading, adding music to mm is not the same as the problem being addressed, which is :
drag and drop functionality from explorer into 'now playing' de-activated
with update to mm 4.1.30.1914 the drop n drag functionality ceased - frustrating to say the least [or am i just missing a simple setting as usual?].
ive tried to drag from explorer and dopus file manager, no joy.
ill search further under 'en/disable drag and drop to playlist'... maybe there is a solution out there
in the mean time you chaps in the us of a must hang in there until this election chaos is sorted...
regards
:)

edit
some similar threads/topics
https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=87069
https://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/ ... ylists.htm
https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=87069
https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58971
at the moment i run 'optimize complete' under File > Maintain Library, then i will follow this advice:
"Go to the desktop shortcut for mediamonkey
Then right-click and choose properties
go to security and then edit
click every box for your user name
then save"
the there might be something here:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... elp:#Notes according to @lowlander...

reboot
i have disabled all extensions
no joy
reboot plus deinstall mm and reinstall
reboot again
no joy
totally deinstall all mm plus db in apps roaming
reboot
install mm again totally fresh without any extensions
reboot
no joy, still can not drag and drop.... sigh

i'll let you know if i can get it working again

HOURS LATER... SOLVED!
clean total reinstall of mm 4 - wipe ALL old db, playlist etc
rescan of all mp3 in music folder!
reboot pc
enter all necessary registration data for mm gold
VOILA!!!
Last edited by ggsmit on Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No problem here to drag some files (mix of MP3, M4A, MOV, FLAC, MP4 and M3U) from File Explorer and to drop them on the Now Playing window, Now Playing node or on the Player. There is no setting for this.

Are you trying to drop the files somewhere else in MediaMonkey (this only works for root Collection nodes like Music)? Have you tried reinstalling 4.1.30?