Scripts, Extensions - what is the distinction?

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

terrypin

Scripts, Extensions - what is the distinction?

Post by terrypin »

What is the difference between an Extension and a Script? They seem to appear in different parts of the program. I have just two entries under Tools > Extensions and seven under Tools > Scripts, which includes the two 'extensions'. I added the latter myself. And is Add-On yet another term for Extension? (The one chosen for this forum section, I note.) Do they all three simply mean the same entity, namely a Script.

I have many more than seven scripts in one place or another. Should they all be in one folder? Why are they not listed under Tools > Scripts? Is Tools > Extensions the only place to add 'new' scripts to Tools > Scripts? Does this overwrite older vesions of those scripts?

Is there one place all this sort of guidance is documented?
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
MM 5.0.2.2532 (Gold), i7 4.0 GHz running Win 10 Pro
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)
Lowlander

Re: Scripts, Extensions - what is the distinction?

Post by Lowlander »

Scripts, Extensions and Addons are different names for the same thing. Tools > Extensions shows all that have been installed. Otherwise it's up to the Addons author as to where in MediaMonkey you can access and use the Addon. Some are Panels, some run through Auto-Tag from Web, others will have entries in the Menu or Context Menu, some will have entries in Options for configuration.

You can install most Addons by running the downloaded installer .MMIP file. This will open them with MediaMonkey for installation (or updating). You can also D&D .MMIP files on to the Player in MediaMonkey or use Tools > Extensions.
terrypin

Re: Scripts, Extensions - what is the distinction?

Post by terrypin »

Thanks. As per my other post 'How to set up MMbackup?' I don't get any dialog when I run the Backup add-on, so cannot make or check whatever settings are necessary. It just gives that error message when it runs.

It's frustrating because it was working before I started trying to sort out my old playlists.
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
MM 5.0.2.2532 (Gold), i7 4.0 GHz running Win 10 Pro
MM 4.1.31.1919 (Gold)