Access violation at 77A1CFF5 in module 'GDI32.dll' [#14281]

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

Unsunghero

Access violation at 77A1CFF5 in module 'GDI32.dll' [#14281]

Post by Unsunghero »

I have done a clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro on my Lenovo Thinkpad. Since re-installing MediaMonkey and beginning to put my music back onto the system I'm constantly met with the message "Access violation at address 77A1CFF5 in module 'GDI32.dll'. Read of address 03EA5000."

This message originally appeared whilst using MediaMonkey and editing video's/music to put them where I want them in the library and once it appears it is on a constant loop, after clicking ok it reappears before I can do anything else.

The message has now started appearing almost instantly after startup, the only way to stop this message appearing is if I am fast enough to click on a menu item, for example 'Tools' or 'Help' and I can browse the menus, change settings if I go into options, but whenever I leave the menus the error message appears again.

I am the sole user of my laptop and obviously have full privileges to access anything on the computer. I only have C:/ on my laptop, no other drives other than access to a NAS box, which I initially thought was the problem, but I have removed from MM and files that were being accessed on the NAS box, and removed the option to scan those drives. So MM is only accessing C:/.

I have now installed MM Debug and will send the error report once I submit this and have the reference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.
Unsunghero

Re: Access violation at address 77A1CFF5 in module 'GDI32.dl

Post by Unsunghero »

For anybody else having this problem, I have found a solution. It is not ideally what I want but it works.

The issue appears to be caused by the File Monitor. Tools > Options > Library > File Monitor.

If the folder my music is stored 'C:\User\Music is ticked to be monitored then I repeatedly get the error message, as soon as I un-tick so the folder isn't monitored I no longer get the access violation error.

Obviously this has solved the issue for me, but if I move any music to or from the folder or make changes to files, I need to re-tick it to make sure everything is updated properly. It would be much better if I could keep this ticked and obviously as I'm the only user with just one drive on the laptop. There should be no access problems.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then it may trip on a file. A debug log would clarify this.
Unsunghero

Post by Unsunghero »

I sent a debug log when I posted the original question, but I've not had any response to it. To be honest I'm not sure how it works because I've not done a debug log before.

I presumed that once I clicked send, that was all I needed to do?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you open a Support Ticket with the log (step 4b) attached: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ets/Submit
Unsunghero

Post by Unsunghero »

Sorry please forgive my ignorance, what is a support ticket?

EDIT, I think I have opened a ticket now for this.

I am also now getting the same access violation message if I try to drag tracks to transfer into MM. And after this has happened a few times MM completely crashes and is unresponsive, it can not be closed other than using task manager. After this has happened a few times, when I try to load MM I get an error message with the below message:

ERROR: Library file C:\Users\Justin\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\MM.DB can't be opened, would you like to create a new local Library?

I then have to restart my computer to get it to open MM again with my library.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That indicates MediaMonkey is still running.
Unsunghero

Post by Unsunghero »

Thanks, I had closed it from the Task Manager so something must have still been running in the background.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you installed the MediaMonkey Service it may have been running.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
GDI32.dll is system essential file tied to way how windows represent/draw desktop graphics/windows and other graphical elements.

From Log you provided it is clear that MMW skinning engine call to draw window throw error.

More details in Ticket.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Unsunghero

Post by Unsunghero »

It has now been three months since I had any response on the ticket I opened and am still no further to knowing what the problem was.

I posted on the ticket a month ago asking for an update but received no response. I have posted a on the open ticket again and am posting on here to see if I can get a reply.

MM has become unusable as I can not add any new music. Ever time I add new music I get the access violation and MM locks itself out, I have to shut it down through task manager and when it reloads, the music I just imported is gone.

Could you please provide some update as I really do not want to have to look for a new music player/library.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I'm sorry to hear that you still have same issue, but unfortunately we are still not being able to replicate on any of our PCs.

Due the inability to debug GDI32.DLL which is system resource not in any way tied to MMW and I'm more than willing to try to recreate steps from ticket and see if something is changed on your PC settings and we can fix it.

I'll give you more details on how to proceed in ticket you opened.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts