Tracks sort order changes itself from Date ASC to Date DESC

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

Norti

Tracks sort order changes itself from Date ASC to Date DESC

Post by Norti »

Hello,

My tracks are sorted by the date column, ascending (so when I open some artist in a tab I have their oldest albums at the top and the newest at the bottom). But sometimes the sort order changes itself to date descending. It happens after I restart the OS, e.g. I have 5 tabs open, they all have date ASC sort order, then after I restart the system in some of those tabs the sort order is changed to date DESC - it may be changed in some of those tabs or all of them, or none of them sometimes, as it should be, but more often than not it changes and I couldn't find any reasons why it happens. I just have to change it back manually. The only thing I found is that the last version w/o that bug was 4.1.7 and basically I tried to update to every version after that, I tested them for a few days and it happened again and again, then I reinstalled v. 4.1.7.1741 and it never happened there (and I never experience it before that, I've been using MM since ~2010), but I understand it's not the best solution to stick to the old version because of that one bug.

I'm on Windows 7 64 and I have MM 4.1.17.1840 at the moment

I also have a laptop with Win 8 64 and it's the same problem there.
Peke

Re: Tracks sort order changes itself from Date ASC to Date D

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I'm not able to replicate, Can you please let us know what exact version of MMW 4.1.7 you have found that do not have bug, so that we see what changes we made and track it down?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Norti

Post by Norti »

Hi, it's 4.1.7.1741.

The next one I tried was 4.1.8.1751 - and it certainly happens there for me (I've just tried to test this one again and yep, it's there), but it never happens on 4.1.7.1741. I'm not sure about those in between (.1742-1750) - couldn't find the links to d/l them to find out...

Here's a screenshot showing what exactly happens:
On the one above - is the way I set them up, so the albums get sorted by the year ASC (and the tracks in the albums are sorted by their number ASC). And below is the way they get sorted after that bug happens - the albums are sorted by the year DESC and somehow the tracks in them are sorted by the title ASC, not track number (which is really strange, because as I see it's impossible to set it up this way manually so both columns are selected, I see I missed this detail in the original post)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Could what you're viewing have it's settings inherited? Maybe that's why it changes?
Norti

Post by Norti »

Of course, I tried to install 4.1.17.1840, like I already said, as well as other newer versions after 4.1.7 - every time some new version came out I received a notification to update, I installed it, I tested it for a few days, received the bug again and again, then installed 4.1.7.1741 again (over the newer version, not clean installation) - the bug disappeared. It happened every time a new version came out, so thus I'm still on 4.1.7.1741
Lowlander wrote:Could what you're viewing have it's settings inherited? Maybe that's why it changes?
Sorry, I don't understand, inherited from where? (and why it doesn't happen on 4.1.7 and older versions anyway?)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Playlists and Collections can inherit from another Collection when you share it in the Collection settings/Playlist settings.
Norti

Post by Norti »

I don't use playlists, I have a list of artists opened in the Media Tree > Music > Artist & Album Artist - I select some artist there to listen to and it automatically lists all its songs in the Now Playing tree. I usually have a few tabs opened at once, so I can quickly switch between artists using the tabs on the top.

The tab's settings get inherited from the previous tab when I open a new one, yes (if that's what you mean), but the sort order doesn't change when I open a new tab - it changes when I restart my system, not every time and not necessary in all of the tabs opened - it may change in 1 or 2 or none at all, but it happened from time to time in all versions since 4.1.8.1751. And it never happened in v. 4.1.7.1741 and older.