MM5 2072 review by MPG

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MPG

MM5 2072 review by MPG

Post by MPG »

My review:

Startup:
- When first setting up MM5, the drop down to select how often to scan specified folders is too small to read all text. One Time is okay, At Startup and Continuously is cut off. This is both on the setup wizard form and the Add Folders form. Once you select At Startup and Continuously it enlarges to the full text.

Application:
- The problem with having to double click still exists. If you have any window open in MM5 and you make another application active, when you go back to MM5 by clicking a button, you have to click the button twice. Once to make it active and a second to activate the click event.

- Unable to resize or move the album artwork window.

- The default color scheme at this stage of development is whites and grey background with black text. the player is blue with white text. Can/should it be the same as elsewhere...too early in the development?

- I have not played a song yet. when I click on the Now Playing folder, a grid is displayed. When I click on the grid the Play symbol is flashed. Expected behavior?

- Under Folders, I navigate down to a folder and right mouse click to scan. Option is not available. Clicking the Insert button brings up expected window. New expected behavior?

Playlists:
- I'm starting to like the criteria section of the Auto-Playlist. Starting....but not enamored. I like that as you specify your criteria, the results are automatically filtered. Still not a big fan of the real-estate it uses. Can it be made to completely collapse, not just the partial that currently exists? Also, when I'm done with my criteria, how do I save it?
- Unable to paste an image to an Auto Playlist. When the criteria section is collapsed, a pic icon is displayed to the left of the name. When I right mouse click on the icon, the paste option is provided, but clicking on it does nothing.

File Properties:
Unable to copy an image from artwork.

Devices:
[SOLVED] HERE - I have my Samsung S7 hard connected to my PC, but it is not displaying under the Devices folder. Phone does show up in Windows Explorer. Running Win10. Phone does not show up in Send To list either. Still in development?

HTH's,
MPG
TIA
MPG
Triumph - Hold On: Music holds the secret, to know it can make you whole.
jiri

Re: MM5 2072 review by MPG

Post by jiri »

- Unable to resize or move the album artwork window.
Resize by mouse should work. As for move, go to View\Configure Layout and select where to show which element.
- The default color scheme at this stage of development is whites and grey background with black text. the player is blue with white text. Can/should it be the same as elsewhere...too early in the development?
This is the intended color choice for this skin. You can try other skins in View\Skin.
I have not played a song yet. when I click on the Now Playing folder, a grid is displayed. When I click on the grid the Play symbol is flashed. Expected behavior?
Now Playing node shows various layouts that you can switch by right-clicking the view. When nothing's playing it doesn't do anything useful (this probably could be improved), you have to start playback first somewhere (double click a track or any other way).

There are improvements/fixes planned re. other issues you mentioned, should be available soon.

Thanks for a detailed feedback!

Jiri
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

MPG wrote: Devices:
- I have my Samsung S7 hard connected to my PC, but it is not displaying under the Devices folder. Phone does show up in Windows Explorer. Running Win10. Phone does not show up in Send To list either. Still in development?
I am unable to replicate with 2072 debug, both Phone and Card storage are available in the "Send to" right-click menu and under the "Devices & Services" node.
Is your S7 detected fine in MM4 on the same computer?? If yes, could you please generate both MM4 and MM5 debug logs to compare and analyze?
Thanks!
MPG

Post by MPG »

Hi Ludek,
It would appear that I have led you astray. I just got a new Win10 machine, and saw the Samsung S7 showed up in file explorer so I assumed it was good to go. When I saw your response, I investigated a bit more and realized that the machine recognized the phone, but couldn't access it so I had to install the drivers. Once they were installed, both Windows and MM5 were able to access the phone.

My apologies for the wild goose chase. Hopefully it didn't take too much of your time.

MPG
TIA
MPG
Peke

Re: [SOLVED] MM5 2072 review by MPG

Post by Peke »

Thank you for update and you are completely right on the spot.

It is all explained in Android: Device not recognized / USB Synchronization fails

Hope You do not Mind that for status tracking I added SOLVED in your Original Review regarding Devices?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MPG

Post by MPG »

Fine by me
TIA
MPG
MPG

Post by MPG »

Mini/Micro player:
Not developed yet? The option's are available but MM5 doesn't seem to minimize to them.

Album being ripped: Nightwish - Once

Updating Tags:
The track titles MM5 provided needed to be updated before being ripped, so I opened the Properties window and updated the first track. While the properties window is open, the ability to navigate to the next song is missing Alt+(right arrow/left arrow). Development is still outstanding?

F2 doesn't automatically allow updating of fields?

When opening the Auto-Tag window, pressing the down arrow key doesn't automatically scroll through the items in the drop down list.
When you click the drop down arrow, then press the down arrow key, the cursor always restarts on the first row.
System crashes every time I open the Auto-Tag window, select a suitable album, and click Auto-Tag.

Ripping:
Ctrl+Shift+R doesn't always automatically load the rip properties window? It can take several attempts and sometimes I have to resort to using the menu. sorry, I'm unable to consistently recreate. I'll monitor to determine steps required to recreate.

Will the ripping properties window provide a function to automatically add album art to the ripped files?

CD includes an mpg file. When attempting to play, I just got a white screen, so MM5 is unable to play video yet?

TIA,
MPG
TIA
MPG
jiri

Post by jiri »

Most issues will be fixed, just:
F2 doesn't automatically allow updating of fields?
Do you mean in the Ripping dialog?
CD includes an mpg file. When attempting to play, I just got a white screen, so MM5 is unable to play video yet?
Please check out the latest version. In case it still fails, please report back with some details about the video and a debug log.

Thanks,
Jiri
theresabruno

Post by theresabruno »

Can you please consider adding the option to change the background color. The black background is difficult to read.

Also the text size. It is too small. Please consider options for color and text size.

Thank you.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

theresabruno wrote:Can you please consider adding the option to change the background color. The black background is difficult to read.

Also the text size. It is too small. Please consider options for color and text size.

Thank you.
Are you referring the "Black Monkey" skin? You can try other sample skins like "Material Design" or "Monkey Groove". But these are still sample skins added only by us developers. We are expecting more skins to be created by a graphic designer (and/or users/scripters) to be added during the MM5 testing cycle. More at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 27&t=81285
jiri

Post by jiri »

You can either try a different skin, or even modify any of the skins. It's actually pretty easy to modify just colors and font size, it's about two lines in skin\skin_base_add.less file (for each skin).

Jiri
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

OK dumb user here... v 5.0.0.2115
How do I determine what skin I'm using?
How do I change which skin is being used?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

yeah, takes some time to get used to. Lots of things have moved.
View|Skin
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
malkierian

Post by malkierian »

Ugh, necro much?

jgt1942, you're looking for View->Skin. The one you're using will be highlighted, and you can just click on any of the others to load them.