Delete key not working workaround [#14246]

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

PeterCM

Delete key not working workaround [#14246]

Post by PeterCM »

Windows 10 64 bit and MediaMonkey 4.1.15.1830

This is an old problem that still occurs in the latest build of MM. Randomly the delete key stops working. Right click and selecting remove still works. Restarting MM clears the problem but I have found a quick way to get the delete key to work again.

If the delete key stops responding click on a file or folder and then press F2 to rename the object. Hit Esc to abort the rename. The delete key will now work.
Lowlander

Re: Delete key not working workaround

Post by Lowlander »

Capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
PeterCM

Post by PeterCM »

I have submitted a ticket.

I have attached a log file for a complete session of MediaMonkey. From MM startup to the Del key not working and the F2-Esc to re-enable delete and then exiting MM.

Let's hope this helps to pinpoint the problem.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
this sounds like if a edit box would be active?
e.g. if you click the search bar then the hotkey action like delete are de-activated so that Delete key deletes a char in the edit box instead of performing the delete action.

Are you sure that there isn't any edit box focused while testing this?
PeterCM

Post by PeterCM »

I am 100% certain there is no edit box open. Key strokes other than delete keep working which would not be the case if an edit box was open. Using the mouse right click - remove still works. Except for the delete key MM keeps on working as normal.

Over the years other people have reported this issue but as it is not known how to reliably cause the delete key to stop working MM support have not been able to fix it. It is difficult to deal with seemingly random issues. Finding the F2-Esc sequence to re-enable the delete key was quite by chance.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
I believe that the issue exists, but I just haven't been able to figure out how to replicate or how exactly this could happen.

I've just revised the code and it seems that "edit mode" of a component needs to be activated to suppress the 'Del' key and most probably the edit mode hasn't been deactivated as it should (you confirmed it by the F2 + Cancel workaround).
But there are many components that could somehow cause this and I would need to get more info from you replicating the issue.

You indicated that it happens randomly after startup without activating any component , right?
Could you please catch and attach screenshot of the UI layout after startup -- just a while before you found that the 'Del' is not working??
The screenshot could be very helpful for me to pinpoint exact layout and component settings to be able to reproduce and fix the issue.

Thanks!
PeterCM

Post by PeterCM »

I have taken a screenshot of my layout. You can access it here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzRmY ... mFDeXNBQlk
PeterCM

Post by PeterCM »

This may be related to the delete problem.

The right click, Cut/Copy options became greyed out. After doing a delete on a file (using the Del key) the Cut/Copy options returned to normal.
misterioso

Post by misterioso »

I will confirm that I also have the exact same issue as PeterCH. For some odd reason, the delete key stops working in Media Monkey. When the delete key is in a non-operative state in Media Monkey, it is fully operative in other applications so it is an MM only problem.

Peter's work around of hitting F2 to edit a text entry restores functionality to the delete key. Not sure what triggers the issue. I tend to run MM non-stop throughout the day and evening, so I don't know if there is a particular event or particular PC state that triggers this issue.

I'm using Win 10 and the latest version of Free MM, although I have no idea what menu item provides the version number. I can't find an "About" menu entry anywhere.
PeterCM

Post by PeterCM »

misterioso have a look at the image of my layout I posted here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzRmY ... mFDeXNBQlk

In the top left corner you should see the menu options: File Edit View Play Tools Help. Under the Help option there is an About... option. The about option displays the version number of MediaMonkey. You should also have these menu options.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
note that I still haven't been able to replicate this.
I'll need to prepare new debug MM.exe with enhanced debug messaging to catch this.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

After re-analyzing I probably have a clue, could you please try whether the issue still happens once you replace your current MediaMonkey.exe by this one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/smrcfx8mmexpm ... y.exe?dl=0 ? Just ensure that you are using the skinned version (skinless version runs another EXE).
PeterCM

Post by PeterCM »

I have just upgrades to MM 4.1.16.1836. Do I need to revert to the previous version before trying this exe.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

You can use this EXE with 1836
PeterCM

Post by PeterCM »

Things are looking promising. I have been doing a lot of deletes over the last two days and the delete key worked every time.