Media Server Appears & Disappears nonstop!

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

mhenkka

Re: Media Server Appears & Disappears nonstop!

Post by mhenkka »

Hello,

yes!

4.1.13.1801 works fine, with 4.1.14.1813 the same issue.

Hope this helps.

R M
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Yes, that helped!

It is most probably caused by fix of http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12157 , looking into it and will come with another testing DLL.
Thanks so far!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I updated the UPnP.dll here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/at2t2n5tfhnuero/UpNp.dll?dl=0 (should work fine with the latest build 1832), could you please confirm that it is working for you now?

Also, the fix will be included in the upcoming build 4.1.16.1833 to be posted here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 00#p434506 in upcoming days (just subscribe the thread to get the notification)

Thanks!
joshb

Post by joshb »

My desktop is named 'Monolith' and so I have named the big .db there 'mm-monolith.db'. I did a Full Optimize and copied this db to my laptop 'Jupiter8', where I have just done some experiments. MMW 4.1.15.1830 is installed here in Jupiter8 as both 'regular' (C: drive) and portable (D: drive) versions. I have also just installed MMW 4.1.4.1830 Portable to D: drive.

Both regular MMW 4.1.15.1830 with dBName=C:\Users\josh\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\mm-monolith.db
AND MMW 4.1.15.1830 Portable with dBName=d:\MediaMonkey 4.1.15.1830\portable\mm-monolith.db
AND MMW 4.1.14.1813 Portable with dBName=d:\MediaMonkey 4.1.14.1813\portable\mm-monolith.db
have the Problem. (of course all tracks are 'grayed out' in MMW but that is not the issue here.)

For both Portable versions, if I change the dbname to the 'mm.db' that was created at installation time, I do not get MMW Media Server to display in Windows Explorer at all! I did scan some valid audio files on D: drive into this new, small mm.db. I have compared all Tools>Options>Media Sharing library settings to the 'full' MMW install, but just can't get the Portables to get the Media Server to run at all.

I just set the regular MMW 4.1.15.1830 to use the 'virgin' mm.db (with no tracks in it) that was created at first installation. The Problem persists and I see the Media Server appearing and vanishing at about 5 second intervals (have not timed this, this is a rough guess).

In a past lifetime I was an computer manufacturing test engineer, so very familiar with debugging software & hardware. But this really has me stumped!
I am willing to have a MMW developer remote-in to my laptop to see this (I have and like TeamViewer).
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, as I noted above, the problem is already fixed (as http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14196 ).

Just replace your current UPnP.dll by this one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/at2t2n5tfhnuero/UpNp.dll?dl=0
or wait for build 1833 to be posted here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 00#p434506 (just subscribe the thread to get the notification)
joshb

Post by joshb »

Something still not quite right, I think.
New .dll fixes problem in my full MMW installation, when that MMW is running with no other portable MMWs also running at the same time.

It fixes my Portable MMW (D:) installation, but only if that Portable is loading its mm-monolith.db.
If I run only my Portable MMW with the tiny mm.db made its first install (with an album of music scanned in), I see no Media Server at all, as I posted previously.

If I try to run both MMWs (the 'full' in my C: and the portable on D:), each loading its own directory copy of mm-monolith.db - the bug persists.
And, I only see the Portable library being served up. I should be able to have two Media Servers, one from each MMW, correct?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are they both set to run on the same port?
mhenkka

Post by mhenkka »

Hello Ludek,

unfortunately MediaMonkey_4.1.16.1832 and your dll does not do the job.
It makes the blinking less frequent, but the problem does not go away.

I can also notice the problem when using other DLNA controller application, where both the MM server and the MM rendered suddenly disappear and come back.
So suddenly when browsing music the connection is lost.

R M
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

joshb wrote: If I try to run both MMWs (the 'full' in my C: and the portable on D:), each loading its own directory copy of mm-monolith.db - the bug persists.
And, I only see the Portable library being served up. I should be able to have two Media Servers, one from each MMW, correct?
If you run two instances at once that are sharing the same mm.db then it is conflicting because both the servers have same GUID generated and runs on the same IP port.
If you want to run the two instances at once then you need to re-create (remove + create) the server in one of the instances to get different GUIDs and ports.
mhenkka wrote: It makes the blinking less frequent, but the problem does not go away.
Thanks, I updated the DLL again (still here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/at2t2n5tfhnuero/UpNp.dll?dl=0 )
I guess that now it is working fine?
joshb

Post by joshb »

My multiple MMW instances are not sharing the same .db file. As I wrote earlier, each has its own copy of mm-monolith.db in its relevant folder.
And I experiment with setting the Portable to use a tiny mm.db with just a few tracks.
Server Ports to "Auto" and are as follows:
MMW Full (on C: drive) is serving to 192.168.1.104:58252
MMW Portable (D: drive) is 192.168.1.104:54477

This should work, right?
UPDATE: Yes, both Media Servers are running, each to its own .db. Seems to take more than a minute for the Portable once to show up?
Argh, the MMW Full Media Server is giving me Acccess Denied when I try to browse it in Windows Explorer here on Jupiter8 PC (same PC that I'm running the MMWs on).
mhenkka

Post by mhenkka »

Hello Ludek,

MediaMonkey_4.1.16.1832 and your new dll does the job!
No blinking and interruptions any more.

Hope to see this fix in the next release!
Thanks M