Chromecast Audio for DEsktop App

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Re: Chromecast Audio for DEsktop App

Post by Lowlander »

For DLNA streaming it's set under Tools > Options > Media Sharing by configuring the Media Server.
rdelarie

Post by rdelarie »

Many thanks for the information. If I understand this correctly, it is the setting on the Auto-Conversion tab for "Level volume when converting audio", which I have now enabled. But this produces strange effects -- variations in volume during a song and sometimes jumping to a very high volume.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, and it worked fine for me. Which version of MediaMonkey are you using?
rdelarie

Post by rdelarie »

The version I have is 4.1.14.1813.
another1

Post by another1 »

If people are still looking for solutions on this, I bought the Chromecast Audio because I assumed it would mirror the audio playing on the system, probably like the rest of you. Anyway, after looking around, downloading a small app and updating some settings I got it working.

1) Try set up as per normal on computer, I guess. I couldn't get it to even locate the device upon attempting initial set up but it may have had some effect I'm unaware of, but likely not. Just make sure you can cast from Chrome browser before moving on so you know it's not your firewall settings or other issues, they have a trouble shooter you can follow if you hit a snag. If it says it couldn't find device (like it did for me), just click top right settings (three dots) and just hit cast anyway, may save you a lot of trouble. I went through all kinds of trouble shooting steps and tried to install after each one and nothing but then hit cast in settings and it worked so not sure if any of those changes did anything to help. Anyway...

open chromecast.com/setup in Chrome browser, click below phone set up options for computer set up.

2) Download https://github.com/acidhax/chromecast-audio-stream

if you want additional info on the program just Google it. It's been reviewed on several tech sites.

3) After extraction of files, place the folder where you want it BEFORE install! Several users report stability etc issues if you install it from the downloads folder but then move it to a more suitable location. (I installed from downloads and read about this issue afterwards so will just leave it alone.) All it really does is add a cast button to your notification area, if it's checked, it's on.

4) It should work at this point but the output volume will be super low.

Go to Chrome browser and it should have the cast icon in top right corner in red with ! in it. Click and it will bring up the device selection, click on device and put the volume all the way up, then you can just control volume via MM and/or system.

- OR -

If you have the Google Home app already installed on your phone/tablet you can adjust the volume in there as well.
Fransie

Post by Fransie »

I am confused. What I would like to achieve is to play to Chromecast audio using MediaMonkey on Windows. Currently I am running MM Gold version 4.1.17. But I do not see an option to play to choose chromecast audio as a player. Is it supposed to be available now?

I can play through audio-cast.exe, but it seems to cast all sounds my computer makes, not only music played by MM. And the volume wavers terribly.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Fransie wrote:I am confused. What I would like to achieve is to play to Chromecast audio using MediaMonkey on Windows. Currently I am running MM Gold version 4.1.17. But I do not see an option to play to choose chromecast audio as a player. Is it supposed to be available now?
It is available in MediaMonkey 5 that is currently still in alfa state: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=30
Fransie

Post by Fransie »

Ludek wrote:It is available in MediaMonkey 5 that is currently still in alfa state: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=30
Excellent! Thank you for that information. I am going to test the alfa version right away.
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

I came across AirParrot 2 as in interim solution. It's a paid program, and it's not super great. But I got impatient and bought it anyway.

It successfully streams any audio from my Windows 10 PC (including whatever's playing in MM). It's not a player in MM. It grabs all of your PC audio and sends that out to the Chromecast Audios.

The problem is it gets confused by groups, which is really annoying. Sometimes you can get around it, sometimes not. Happy to provide more detail if anyone's interested.
Remember when Last.fm had those cool imagegen charts for use in signatures?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MM5 Support groups.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dc0

Chromecast Audio

Post by dc0 »

I have my collection organised with Media Monkey and play through my PC. I have now got a Chromecast Audio setup in a different room. What I want to do is use MM to send music from my PC to my CCA over wifi. I'd like to set a playlist playing and then go to the other room to listen. Is this possible? Also if I can get this working is it possible to use my iphone and an app to remote control MM from the other room to skip songs and change playlists?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
if you have an Android phone than you can use 'MediaMonkey for Android' to cast the music from the PC to Chromecast.
For the iPhone you must use a third party app (e.g. mconnect) and set MM on the PC as server and Chromecast as player/renderer in the app.