[SOLVED] Very disappointed in MMW4

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jwhitworth

Re: Very disappointed in MMW4

Post by jwhitworth »

MMFrLife wrote:select tracks from file list after running check > Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Synchronize files

Same result as using "Synchronize Tags" from the pop up menu.

I did copy three albums to the SSD did the tagging and it works there.

When I did the "Files to edit" --> "Unsynchronized Tags" feature all of the found problems are from files which were very recently altered (but there are plenty of files which do get tagged successfully).

Some combination of this latest MMW4 version, the flac files themselves and the FREENAS box is most likely the problem.

The FREENAS box has not changed and a buch of flac files on it get tagged successfully.

I am using MediaMonkey_4.1.14.1813 since 9/29/2016.

I submitted a ticket so I guess I will wait for the results.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

""Synchronize Tags" on the pop up menu"

What pop-up menu are you talking about?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
jwhitworth

Post by jwhitworth »

MMFrLife wrote:""Synchronize Tags" on the pop up menu"

What pop-up menu are you talking about?

I select the tracks I want to edit and right click the mouse and at the bottom of the pop up menu right above "Properties" is "Synchronize Tags"
Peke

Post by Peke »

And what about latest MMW beta 4.1.15.1825+ ?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
jwhitworth

Post by jwhitworth »

Peke wrote:And what about latest MMW beta 4.1.15.1825+ ?
Same behavior.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Ah, yes, the menu expansion pop-up. I was thinking of a non-menu pop-up. :wink:
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
jwhitworth

Post by jwhitworth »

I have determined that the problem does not occur on another dataset on the FREENAS system. The two datasets should be identical in their parameters except for their names Audio vs Audio2. I have asked the users on the FREENAS forum if they know of any reason why the two datasets react differently to MediaMonkey's tagging operations.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Only explanation I can think of is permissions and that MMW access SAMBA resource with different credentials and do not have write access rights.
Best regards,
Peke
jwhitworth

Post by jwhitworth »

Peke wrote:Hi,
Only explanation I can think of is permissions and that MMW access SAMBA resource with different credentials and do not have write access rights.
I am looking at the share and individual files properties/security properties on the windows side and am notices differences. Not sure how to fix that. First I am going to do full backups of my music files before tinkering with said properties.

I submitted the ticket yesterday. Will the bug report give any feed back on MMW encountering permission problems when trying to tag the files?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MMW do not temper with security and will only work with read only files which is reported once and usually when user tags 100+ read only files just click do not ask again and after that MMW silently just skips thru them.

I do not know about FreeNas but on QNAP I enabled ACL for folder permissions at one time but reverted as I wanted to be handled with users on NAS instead of windows with Admin Access. Anyhow I think this should give you where to start/look https://www.google.com/search?q=freenas+ACL+samba
Best regards,
Peke
jwhitworth

Post by jwhitworth »

Peke wrote:Hi,
MMW do not temper with security and will only work with read only files which is reported once and usually when user tags 100+ read only files just click do not ask again and after that MMW silently just skips thru them.

I do not know about FreeNas but on QNAP I enabled ACL for folder permissions at one time but reverted as I wanted to be handled with users on NAS instead of windows with Admin Access. Anyhow I think this should give you where to start/look https://www.google.com/search?q=freenas+ACL+samba
So MMW will just skip files to which it cannot write. I guess that is what I am disappointed with. MMW needs to generate a log file when tagging. I know that is extra work for the program but it just seems like a good idea. Thanks for the link. I will beat my head against that stuff once I complete my backups.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's likely a rights issue. MediaMonkey doesn't have rights to modify the files, thus the tag changes aren't saved. This can mean that the files are read-only or that the User logged on to FreeNAS has no modify rights. There is very tiny chance that the files have corruptions preventing tagging from happening.

As MediaMonkey is designed to work with offline files/read-only no warning is given when tagging fails as this would be bothersome in those scenarios.
Peke

Post by Peke »

jwhitworth wrote:I guess that is what I am disappointed with. MMW needs to generate a log file when tagging. I know that is extra work for the program but it just seems like a good idea. Thanks for the link.
It will ask you for permission even 1000 times on read only files when like lowlander said it is set to warn you.
All is in debug log already.

For link no problem I beat my head around same thing few years ago.
Best regards,
Peke
jwhitworth

Post by jwhitworth »

Peke wrote:
jwhitworth wrote:I guess that is what I am disappointed with. MMW needs to generate a log file when tagging. I know that is extra work for the program but it just seems like a good idea. Thanks for the link.
It will ask you for permission even 1000 times on read only files when like lowlander said it is set to warn you.
All is in debug log already.

For link no problem I beat my head around same thing few years ago.
I beat my head against FREENAS for a day and finally got everything to work. Not really sure what went wrong in the first place since everything was working fine. Thanks for everyone putting up with me on this issue.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Hope you learned the lesson. It was my pleasure to help you in any way I can. Frankly I have chosen QNAP due the clean calculation of cost/time investing/end result/stability/support.

26 years ago, I created DOS PC with two line LCD display and arrow controller to act as a sample player (Chip Music, WAV Samples and MOD files) on My DJ sets for a 2000€ (inflation for those years included) so it is clearly that now I can simply uses existing solution and get same results without banging my head and enjoy more.
Best regards,
Peke