[SOLVED] Very disappointed in MMW4

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jwhitworth

[SOLVED] Very disappointed in MMW4

Post by jwhitworth »

Today I had to delete the MM database. When starting MMW4 I was getting an error message (something about being unable to query the database). I searched this forum and the solution was to delete the database and re-scan. Upon re-scanning I noticed that a bunch of tags I had made recently were not in the database. After further investigation it looks like the missing tags could easily involve hunderds of songs. I had been tagging songs which were concert recordings by inputting info on the venue (using custom field 4) and the "original date" field as the concert date. I had defined a collection "Concert Recordings" to filter for these fields.

During the days in which I was adding these tags I would close MMW4 when done and every night I would shut down the PC. Tags which are now missing were present in the database (but apparently not the actual flac file itself). I know this because I would often go back to an specific artist and review the songs that were showing up in the "Concert Recording" collection. INFO THAT IS NOW NOT PRESENT WAS REPEATEDLY SHOWN TO EXIST by the database. TAGS WERE NOT COMMITTED TO THE FLAC FILE but kept appearing in the database thru multiple iterations of opening and closing MMW4 and turning the PC off and then back on.

In the past I have seen MMW4 warn me that upon trying to close the program that background tasks (tagging operations) were still running. THAT DOES NOT SEEMED TO HAVE HAPPEN THESE TIMES???

WHY?????

THIS IS THE BIG NIGHTMARE OF USING A PROGRAM LIKE MMW4. I AM GLAD MMW4 FINALLY DECIDED TO CORRUPT THE DATABASE SO I COULD DISCOVER THE ERROR. IT COULD HAVE GONE ON LONGER AND WASTED EVEN MORE OF MY TIME.

Hopefully MMW5 can do a better job of making sure this type of disaster does not happen again. In the mean time I will have to make a couple of days worth of tsgging. Then using a portable install of MMW4 rescan and make sure the tags were actually committed to the flac files.

Quite a bit of the info I added to the tags was not easy to find on the internet.
Peke

Re: Very disappointed in MMW4

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I hope that you made backup of library prior to delete. as if MMW is to blame we need to determine what happened? Also what plugins you had installed at time of corruption?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
jwhitworth

Post by jwhitworth »

Did not make any backup of a corrupted database.

Today I spent a couple of hours adding some of the lost tags.

To check whether or not the tag actually were made I installed the latest beta. Imported the artists I did the retagging on and guess what.

The tags do not show up. So to summarize.

Add tags. MMW4.1.14.1813 shows tagging as successful.

Install 4.1.15 portable install. Import tagged artist files. New tags not present.

I will reboot my FREENAS server to see if that is part of problem. Still no reason for MMW4 to pretend to update tags.
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

Hi,
If I'm reading your original post correctly your trying to store original date and a custom column in the tags on Flac files, I thought Flac files don't support these tags stored in the file.

See this page from dtsig that's lists where all tags are stored http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

AlanH wrote:original date and a custom column in the tags on Flac files, I thought Flac files don't support these tags stored in the file.
"Non-Standard" means they are save to tag, but there is no standardization for majority of apps being able to "read" them. Any app that already reads them like MM
should. I'm not certain what "& partial" means, though. Maybe saves only simple year (2017) format rather than 01/29/2017. I recently redid my database but I can't check for
that, as I only use simple year.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
jwhitworth

Post by jwhitworth »

MMW4 has no problem with some of the files tagging the "Original Date' field (with m/d/y format also).

The problem also occurs with a simple tag of "(Live) being tagged into the "Comment" field.or editing the "Album" field to append something like ("2002 Remaster)" to the Album name.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

MM should make changes to tags automatically when editing properties, but it is a good practice to periodically check
"Entire Library" > Files to Edit > Unsynchronized Tags just in case something slips through the cracks. Do you check that on occasion?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
jwhitworth

Post by jwhitworth »

Update:

Copied an album to the local drive. Altered some tags. Removed album from library. Rescanned the album back into library.

Tags did not disappear this time.

MMW4/OS is having problems with the FREENAS system.

Still does not excuse MMW4 from not reporting a problem being able to tag flac files on the FREENAS and then showing the tags in MMW4 itself when in fact they do not actually exist in the flac file.

Weird.

Nothing has changed on my FREENASS in a long time. This MMW4 tagging issue is new.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

FREENAS, possibly.
Where were the files sourced from, rip, online, etc.?
😜
jwhitworth

Post by jwhitworth »

MMFrLife wrote:MM should make changes to tags automatically when editing properties, but it is a good practice to periodically check
"Entire Library" > Files to Edit > Unsynchronized Tags just in case something slips through the cracks. Do you check that on occasion?

Have not used that in a long time. Guess I should.

Clicked that and now MMW4 is "Reading files" Must be checking the entire db?

In progress. Some of the problem files are starting to show up.
Last edited by jwhitworth on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
jwhitworth

Post by jwhitworth »

MMFrLife wrote:FREENAS, possibly.
Where were the files sourced from, rip, online, etc.?
Ripped (some recently and many quite some time ago) and some online.
jwhitworth

Post by jwhitworth »

MMFrLife wrote:MM should make changes to tags automatically when editing properties, but it is a good practice to periodically check
OK. Unsynchronized Tags found what seems to be most of the problems.

Is there some way to make MMW4 "force" those tags to "stick"?
jwhitworth

Post by jwhitworth »

jwhitworth wrote:
OK. Unsynchronized Tags found what seems to be most of the problems.

Using "Synchronize Tags" on the pop up menu.

Will rerun the finding of unSynchronized tags

Finding some of the same files with unSynchronize tags.

How do I fix those?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I'm trying this again with hope I could replicate, but ended unsuccessful.
Can you please create debug log as described in http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=12&t=69 and send us using support ticket?

The process that should be in debug log is:
1. Start of MMW
2. Unsync tags listing
3. Sync tags executed
4. Unsync tags listing

If you can please create screenshot what unsync tags are found in step 4 (Should be marked yellow)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

select tracks from file list after running check > Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Synchronize files
😜