Mediamonkey 5?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Peke

Re: Mediamonkey 5?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Many of users would agree that their libraries are important and do not want to risk years of statistics and tagging.

On other hand MM5 is coming beautifully and we are very very happy with its how it looks and work even in this non beta state.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MaximusPrime

Post by MaximusPrime »

Take your time, right now I am so happy with MM4, I'm "afraid" I'm emotionally not ready for the upgrade now :D :D :D :D :D
Peke

Post by Peke »

MaximusPrime wrote:Take your time, right now I am so happy with MM4, I'm "afraid" I'm emotionally not ready for the upgrade now :D :D :D :D :D
Exactly my point, I couldn't written it better.
Best regards,
Peke
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

I agree, don't rush it!

But...could you at least give us a "broad" ETA?
I mean, like - less than a year or less than 6 months?

If you can't, I understand. :-?

To echo MaximusPrime's concerns, I'm worried that many skins and scripts won't work properly, at least until their developer's
can get them working. Although, they probably already have the behind-the-scenes info and tools needed to work out any issues that
might have arisen.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
cncb

Post by cncb »

Everything doesn't have to work straight away - that's why it is called "beta". It is crazy that we are talking about it being "rushed" when they were talking about a beta version being released "in a few months" back in September, 2014. Here we are nearly 2 years later and still nothing. It doesn't inspire a lot of confidence and makes it seem like they don't really have a plan/schedule at all. I am still here because I foolishly purchased a lifetime license nearly 5 years ago and mistakenly thought I would get something for my (extra) money.
MaximusPrime

Post by MaximusPrime »

cncb wrote:...I am still here because I foolishly purchased a lifetime license nearly 5 years ago and mistakenly thought I would get something for my (extra) money.
Foolishly? You get a lot of extra features within MM as a paid user, doesn't matter if the version is still 4 oder 5 someday, the advantages are there.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

cncb wrote:Everything doesn't have to work straight away - that's why it is called "beta".
True dat!

But, just because there's a reason for it ("it's a beta"), it doesn't mean that you can't be worried,
in this case more than normal, even if things don't work well for a fairly short period.

Even though the first thing released is a Beta, it still has to be fairly good and in decent working order.
They are trying to guarantee that the first thing released isn't a disaster, just something that hopefully
only needs a "little" work after release.

And this is not a typical change. It's probably the biggest and most dramatic change since
the change from "SongsDB to MM". So, it's not like worrying about the typical "baby" beta steps we're use to.
cncb wrote:It is crazy that we are talking about it being "rushed" when they were talking about a beta version being released "in a few months" back in September, 2014. Here we are nearly 2 years later and still nothing. It doesn't inspire a lot of confidence and makes it seem like they don't really have a plan/schedule at all.
As far as being "rushed", that's always relevant to how much time and attention something
needs at any given point along the way.

The devs only thought it would be ready earlier, but they were wrong. Turns out it needed more attention.
They have since admitted that (search through the forum), specifically, Ludek, Jiri and Peke. And in the meantime, they have continued to provide
improvements, updates, betas for what we do have (MM4).

I feel you on being anxious for MM5. It's been too long. But we are all anxious, including the devs.
cncb wrote:I am still here because I foolishly purchased a lifetime license nearly 5 years ago and mistakenly thought I would get something for my (extra) money.
I purchased a lifetime membership nearly 4 years ago (Gold before that), and I'm still here because I've yet to find or hear of
anything better, overall. After a mere 4 years, I feel like I've already gotten my money's worth.

I personally accept the excuse of needing more time, but it does seem lately like the word from the devs themselves
is intensifying (more frequent posts of the "it's getting closer" variety). So, I do think there needs to be "something"
fairly soon. Please, don't make us wait another year!
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
Pathduck

Post by Pathduck »

Please if you can, give at least a little teaser in form of a screenshot of two :D

I am very anxious to see how the default skin would look, at the least.
Blackcat12

Post by Blackcat12 »

MaximusPrime wrote:
cncb wrote:...I am still here because I foolishly purchased a lifetime license nearly 5 years ago and mistakenly thought I would get something for my (extra) money.
Foolishly? You get a lot of extra features within MM as a paid user, doesn't matter if the version is still 4 oder 5 someday, the advantages are there.
I agree with MaximusPrime.

It is true that we get some extra functionality with gold, but we would have the same with v4 gold at less than half the cost rather than lifetime. I also purchased the lifetime license in 2012. At the present pace of releases, I would have been better off buying the v4 gold license and eventually the v5 gold license, and still spend less money overall. At the present release pace, I would still be current for a decade.

I have the utmost respect for the developers as well as MMW /MMA in general. I would recommend MM to anyone without hesitation, but I will never recommend a lifetime license.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Blackcat12 wrote:It is true that we get some extra functionality with gold, but we would have the same with v4 gold at less than half the cost rather than lifetime. I also purchased the lifetime license in 2012. At the present pace of releases, I would have been better off buying the v4 gold license and eventually the v5 gold license, and still spend less money overall. At the present release pace, I would still be current for a decade.......

.......but I will never recommend a lifetime license.
That's a great point. But, who knows if the pace will stay the same.
Also, it's kind of like when you are driving and there are 2 ways to get to your destination. The passenger says, "you should go that other way, it's quicker".
She is right, it is quicker but only by 10 seconds. If the pace stays the same and in the end (way down the road) it averages out to losing some money,
how much would I really be loosing, around 10 bucks maybe? If that's the case, then I consider an extra $10 a fair, "just do it once and never have to think
about it again", fee.

On the flip side, I might feel "s...-out-of-luck" if it went defunct within the next 10 years.
I've only ever bought the standard Gold once, and that was when it was $19.99 (or something like that).
But, if you've already purchased several golds (I guess, three being the most possible at this point?), purchasing a lifetime may not be the way to go. :-?
😜
tarasis

Post by tarasis »

My one questions about MM5, particularly as you are supporting Mac (Yay!!) is: will MM5 handle filename/paths that are longer than 255 characters on platforms that support that? (aka Mac & Linux; and Windows 10 if you apparently tweak the registry)

--

Edit:

I bought a Lifetime license back in 2006 for the princely sum of $35.19, (I had used the none gold version for a while before hand) and then basically haven't been able to make use it since about 2008 when I switched from PC to Mac :) MM was the one app I missed from Windows, so the news that MM5 is coming to Mac makes me rather elated.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Blackcat12 wrote:It is true that we get some extra functionality with gold, but we would have the same with v4 gold at less than half the cost rather than lifetime. I also purchased the lifetime license in 2012. At the present pace of releases, I would have been better off buying the v4 gold license and eventually the v5 gold license, and still spend less money overall.
You would not regular discounts are up to 40% (based on past reference), and you would pay a bit more and no discount on next version.
Blackcat12 wrote:At the present release pace, I would still be current for a decade.
Isn't that point of an stable app?
Blackcat12 wrote:I have the utmost respect for the developers as well as MMW /MMA in general. I would recommend MM to anyone without hesitation, but I will never recommend a lifetime license.
I agree, or I would not get any of my paychecks due the no update purchases. I got mine back in 2002 and on a first day of GOLD I earned triple the price by just using GOLD features for money.

255+ filenames: MMW already support that but it is disabled due the system limitations
RE MAC: It certainly should support that.
Best regards,
Peke

Post by Guest »

Peke

Do you think that us users will have a beta to play with by the beginning of the new year?

Waiting in anticipation.

Kevin :D
dhruvbhutani

Post by dhruvbhutani »

So do we have any idea at all about a prospective Mediamonkey 5 release? Having tried and struggled with finding a decent music player on Mac. Even Clementine is just barely usable. Mediamonkey on the other hand is <3 It is the only reason why i still have a windows machine so i absolutely can't wait to buy a copy of MM5 for my Mac once it is out.
Peke

Post by Peke »

mm5fan16 wrote:remember.... winter is coming! :P
It is already here and I can't wait to light the fire.
Best regards,
Peke