File Copy Name Overwrite

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

TheMartyJoy

File Copy Name Overwrite

Post by TheMartyJoy »

Hello All,

Would it be possible to have a section in the options screen pertinent to vile copies?

I use MediaMonkeys DLNA Server to share my music library to all my different devices, sometimes if a friend is over or I want a copy of the file on the computer I'll just use the copy function from the DLNA folder view to copy them. Two things happen that I would like to be able to control.

1) Folder structure is created.
Example: I'm copying files to a thumb drive that has the drive letter G:, I select multiple files right click them select copy to, then select my G Drive. I will get something like g:\Music\Genres\[ALL]\ then my files.

2) File Names are copied from DLNA Server
If ever you copy a file from the DLNA server you will notice that the filename is anything but human readable, while all the meta data is still present and most players will show you artist, track title, album, etc. it makes it hard to know by looking at a file explorer which file is what song.

I would like to see an section in options that would allow us to control these two features. There could be a check mark to Enable the overwrite file name section. We could get the same options as when we rip a CD perhaps. In terms of how we want to name the tracks. We could also have a check mark like "Keep Directory Structure" that could control if we create the directory structure or not.

I know this was posted before back in 2015 I believe, just wondering if it's worth looking at how easy it could be to implement.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Lowlander

Re: File Copy Name Overwrite

Post by Lowlander »

Tools > Auto-Organize Files. You can set it Copy and you control how files are saved.
TheMartyJoy

Post by TheMartyJoy »

I looked at that section but I don't see how it would help or change the behavior or a file copy.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It copies or moves files allowing you to use the tags to create the folder/filenames of the new files.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

TheMartyJoy wrote:I looked at that section but I don't see how it would help or change the behavior or a file copy.
Look at the top left of the screen .. there is COPY and MOVE
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
TheMartyJoy

Post by TheMartyJoy »

http://imgur.com/a/296Jb

I don't see where you see that it will change anything in regards to copying files from the DLNA server. This only appears to be able to select the file name/structure for files you are moving into your library, this is not the case for most of my file copies. IE my linux box will use a java upnp client to see and copy files from media monkeys DLNA server. The options you listed would not change how the server names the file at all to the best of my knowledge it would only apply the settings if I was copying the file into mediamonkeys library somewhere. Most times I"m copying to a USB Drive that is not in the library so I don't know if those settings would even apply if I was copying from within mediamonkey.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's not the tool I suggested, use Tools > Auto-Organize Files instead.
TheMartyJoy

Post by TheMartyJoy »

Thank you,

I was obviously not looking at the proper tools. I will make a new wishlist for the cases it does not resolve.