Library has doubled everything

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Lyndon

Re: Library has doubled everything

Post by Lyndon »

Lowlander,
I just spent a good thirty minutes removing as many big blocks of dupes, but there are so many, bold type, ghost type afterwards, bold type, ghost type.
A real pain to delete. Is there no way to filter or separate those ghost type dupes?

Lyndon
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Ghost type? If they're grayed out you should be able to find them under Library > Files to Edit > Dead Links, unless the path starts with ? in which case you can delete the drive from the Library > Location node.
Lyndon

Post by Lyndon »

Will try that!

It just runs through dead links and doesn't produce anything. No question mark.

No question mark, but I did find the second half of your comment

Ghost type? If they're grayed out you should be able to find them under Library > Files to Edit > Dead Links, unless the path starts with ? in which case you can delete the drive from the Library > Location node.

I located a listing of a new HD, and I deleted it, and bang! That took out the grayed out dupes. What is going on there? Lowlander, I am buying some new Samsung 2TB drives,
and want to transfer over my 1TB of music files. What is the best method, so I don't get the duplication factor? Of course, I have already talked about the problem of "correct" duplications, like the Billie Holiday cd I just bought that has EIGHT versions of the same song. Nightmare!

P.S. Thanks again! I wish I had tried that trick last night instead of spending two hours removing those dupes!!!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'd use Tools > Auto-Organize Files to move the files.
Elmer B. Fuddled

Post by Elmer B. Fuddled »

I've just recently had the same problem after adding a new hard drive to my system and moving all my personal stuff to it. Although the new and old path names were the same I ended up with "ghost songs". I got round it by going to (in Windows 7) C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\MediaMonkey and renaming the MediaMonkey Data base file, MM.DB, to MM.DB.old. When I restarted MM again it just rebuilt the data base up again. No settings, or music, lost.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey doesn't use drive letter, but uses driveID. So when you move music to a new hard drive (even with the same drive letter) it will be a different location for MediaMonkey and thus on scan it will enter them as duplicates in the library. For more see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer
Elmer B. Fuddled

Post by Elmer B. Fuddled »

Lowlander wrote:MediaMonkey doesn't use drive letter, but uses driveID. So when you move music to a new hard drive (even with the same drive letter) it will be a different location for MediaMonkey and thus on scan it will enter them as duplicates in the library. For more see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer
Thanks for clearing that up for me Lowlander. I wondered why, with MM closed, I moved from D:/Data to S:/Data. Deleted D:/Data, renamed S:/Data to D:/Data. The clever b*gg*r MM was looking at Drive 0 and Drive 1 all the time!!
Lyndon

Post by Lyndon »

Here I am with I guess the same problem? My system is Windows 7 Premium 32

What I did wrong. I have a persistent problem with my CD/DvD unit. Every once in a while, it reports errors when ripping a disc. Not like there is something wrong with the disc.
Using device manager to uninstall and reinstall won't cure it. I have to physically unplug it from the system, start it up, turn it off, plug it back in, and it seems to run fine for some time. Have tried a new unit, and it repeated the problem. Tried both units in another desktop, no problem. Fee; ;ole dealing with the HAL 9000 from the 2001:A Space Odyssey move.

Anyway, I just figured I did not have the time to take out the unit, and ripped about 12 albums on another desktop, transferred the files to a thumb drive, plugged that into
my music desktop, used the add/scan option on the MM to the flash drive and added. Then realized my mistake. The files that MM would look for were in that flash drive. So, I copied the files, and added them to my particular music hard drive.
Now, my mistake. I used MM to add/rescan on the entire hard drive. Now I have duplicates all over the place. I am running the MM>duplicates right now, but that is a very long process on at least a terrabyte of music. Any other solution? I refuse to sit down and go through every single entry. Also, I am not looking to get rid of "ghost" entries. They are on another two hard drives that are not in the system.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If the duplicates are from the thumb drive just remove the thumb drive from the Location node to remove its files from the Library.
Lyndon

Post by Lyndon »

Thanks, Lowlander, for the quick reply.

I removed the thumb drive, after copying the files and placing them in the correct hard drive designated for music.
But was still left with pale ghost copy files on every album. That is what I was trying to get rid of.

I know there must be an easier way, but I gave up and did it the Cave Man way. I went to every album I had put in yesterday, and highlighted the ghost songs, and deleted it from the computer. Thus leaving me with the true files in the hard drive. This takes a long time, especially with soundtracks, which can have 20 to 30 titles in each album.
This stupid procedure took 30 minutes or more.

I know there has to be an easier solution.

Not connected question, Lowlander. I purchased Chromecast Audio. I can't seem to get a way to access and 'throw' my MM music library to it. Is there something I am missing?
Also, I can't get my music computer to recognize the Chromecast APP in Chrome Browser. It keeps saying that I have no internet connection, which, of course, I do.
It does recognize it in my second desktop right next to it. Weird.
Thanks, Lowlander, for all your help.
Lyndon
Salt Lake City
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Like I said, remove the thumbdrive entry from the Location node (ie. Music > Location > Thumbdrive) and all the files on it will be removed from the Library.

MMW doesn't support Chromecast yet. It is planned for MMW 5.
Lyndon

Post by Lyndon »

Lowlander said:
MMW doesn't support Chromecast yet. It is planned for MMW 5.
I will be looking forward to this!
Thanks, Lowlander