random play

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

cleveland kid

random play

Post by cleveland kid »

Hi folks,
Sorry if this has been previously covered but could not find a recent thread on the issue.

After searching many blogs from several different media managers, I have noticed that the "random play" function of those players randomly play tracks but tend to repeat some tracks before all of the tracks on the playlist have been played, instead of randomly playing all of the tracks once without repeating any, and then stopping for further commands.
This would be better known as a "non repeat" random play.

I thought that I had read where this was, at one time, an issue with Media monkey as well.

Was / Is this also an issue with Media monkey as well ?

Thanks for your feedback!
AlanH

Re: random play

Post by AlanH »

True random will repeat songs, there may be add on that does what you want.
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

Here is one solution in an old thread by nohitter151 last year

If you just want a shuffled list put your playlist into now playing, then right-click in the now playing area and click List > Randomize list.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, Shuffle will repeat tracks as each next track is picked randomly from the entire Now Playing.

You can use Randomize List as mentioned above or use Randomize sorted AutoPlaylists and disable Shuffle.

Post by www »

I agree - such a seemingly simple feature: play all the songs randomly, once, until they are all played.

It has been a bugaboo of mine about all players - I never seem to get to hear all my tracks, regardless of if it's my 10K song library in MM or a couple hundred on my ipod shuffle. Feels like I constantly have to click Next to get fresh music and on the shuffle I manually delete stuff I've heard until the contents are exhausted and I load up new stuff.

I guess I'm a slave and the machines my masters.

cleveland kid

Post by cleveland kid »

Thanks for the the posts !

I have a Pionner 18 disc CD Changer Player that I bought over 25 years ago that has a logic chip in it.
The chip keeps track of every song that is played and therefore when it is in the random play function, knows when all of the songs among the 18 discs have been played once . Not randomly playing songs per disc, but between all 18 discs ! then stops and wait for further instruction.

Question is, can this logic be applied to software ?.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Yes if you keep playback continously. Pressing NEXT can interfere with Random play.

If you want to be sure that no repeat tracks are played and to have influence on playback then you need to disable Shuffle and set Tools -> Options -> Player -> Auto DJ -> Now Playing -> Retain 0 tracks. That way as soon as track gets played it is deleted from now playing and you can add additional tracks in the list as LAST.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
cleveland kid

Post by cleveland kid »

Thank you for the info. !
To take the random play issue to another level, would you be able to randomly play tracks in that non - repeating fashion and add the gap less music function to all of the songs in your chosen Playlist ?
Therefore randomly playing all of the songs on your playlist once, in a continuing Segway, until the Playlist has no more songs remaining ?

Thanks,
ck
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can use Randomize List in the Now Playing instead of Shuffle. This way the files will be randomized, but then play in the order shown. This means no repeating and you can use previous/next track properly as well. You'll also know what's coming up and what has played recently.
Clevelandkid

Post by Clevelandkid »

After purchasing both MediaMonkey for Windows and MediaMonkey for Android , I have noticed that there is a difference in the gapless play function between the two.

The Windows version tends to start the '"next up" song on the last two notes of the playing song , (a very slight overlap ) where as the Android version waits until the song's last note is heard before starting the next song.

My question is , Is this just a difference caused by the operating systems of each , or by the way each was programed?

My own feelings are that I like the option of both !! The Windows version is particularly slick !

CK
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Windows version have configurable crossfade MMA do not.
Best regards,
Peke
Clevelandkid

Post by Clevelandkid »

Hi Pavie,

You know I was going to asked this question !

Will the MMA soon have this crossfade option also?
It really sounds great ! It gives a sort of an energized feeling when playing pop music .

Maybe the option for either choice of crossfade in both MMW and MMA would be available in a future revision ?

Thanks,
CK
Peke

Post by Peke »

Yes, we plan to improve that in future versions of MMA. When that is hard to answer.
Best regards,
Peke
Clevelandkid

Post by Clevelandkid »

Following up on the previous post above, have any plans been made yet to have the crossfade that is heard on MMW applied to MMA ?
I must say that when playing MMW , I really like the slight overlap in the songs to make one continuous seque way of music !

Please, please, please, make this an option for MMA !

Sincerely,
CK
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Crossfade is available in MMA.