Another can I .................?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

doug a'lorange

Another can I .................?

Post by doug a'lorange »

Question from a newbie on the forum please? (Hope this is in the right place).

Can I load the full version of MM onto a tablet (yet to be bought so could be any OS although Android is preferred), then use it to organise, control and route music from a Western Digital NAS attached to the latest Sky Hub, to a Cyrus Stream X2 renderer, and thence into my hifi system?

NAS to renderer is WiFi at present but will be cat5e hard wired in the next few weeks. NAS and renderer are DLNA / UPnP compliant.

To clarify – it’s not a MM control app I’m looking to use (have tried these successfully via smartphone) but the full version on a tablet to give me total organisational flexibility so I can add / delete, organise playlists etc, but with the media stored remotely.

FLAC files are ripped to the NAS library from an adjacent desktop PC which is normally off so Windows will be out of the loop. To reiterate - the tablet will be the organiser and controller, feeding off the NAS library, not from a PC.

Explanations with short words and as few numbers as possible would be appreciated.

Apologies if this has already been covered – just point me to it. Thanks
Lowlander

Re: Another can I .................?

Post by Lowlander »

No, the full MediaMonkey is Windows only. There is an Android App, but is limited.
doug a'lorange

Post by doug a'lorange »

OK, that's nice and clear so thanks.

Is it therefore possible to do what I'm looking for with a Windows tablet running full blown MediaMonkey?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If it runs the full version of Windows I'd presume so.
doug a'lorange

Post by doug a'lorange »

OK thanks.
PaulEast

Controlling Cyrus Streamers from Windows laptop etc

Post by PaulEast »

I'm attempting this right now for very similar reasons, namely, combining a brilliant piece of software and a superb player. An extra motivation is that, while the Cyrus's remote is very good, their Cadence Android app continually disconnects and is simply a poor interface.
At first, I thought I'd cracked it, but I have the same "plays one track and stops" problem with the DLNA.
It's hard to believe this is an insuperable difficulty, but the Deathly Silence on the Forum makes me fear the worst. Usually this means that all the techies know it's because someone, somewhere hasn't done the development work, debugging that they promised but the regular punters just have to put up with it until one of the Great Ones deigns to respond.
If anyone has a Cyrus Streamer working properly with MM, I'd be grateful to know whether I'm wasting my time.
pushpull

Post by pushpull »

Not being familiar with this equipment, I did go to their webpage to see what it was about. They do have more than one model listed, so which model you have might help with someone trying to answer your question. Also, some sort of diagram on how you are connecting this equipment might be informative. From what I gathered looking at this equipment, it appears that it is intended to use music files directly from a NAS or computer without any other software between. Unless there is some sort of plugin developed for this, I don't see how you can use MM unless you connect the audio output from the computer that has MM on it to the input of the Cyrus streamer, which I would assume would defeat the purpose you intend for this device. You may be better off letting Cyrus know about your issues with their app.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
as we do not own the device, can you please explain in more details (step by step) what and how you play music on Cyrus?

This is essential information that will help us to save your time in "cracking it" and see if there is somewhere a problem that needs to be solved.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
doug a'lorange

Post by doug a'lorange »

OP here.

I wasn't able to get any further with my original idea, so I bought a Samsung Android tablet and use it as a remote control between the NAS drive and Cyrus X2 which then outputs to my Hi-Fi. I've had no problems with drop outs or single track playing since getting the house Cat 5e cabled. WiFi was a very frustrating experience.

I couldn't get the MediaMonkey control app to play gapless (did I miss something?) so now switch between the Cyrus Cadence app (poor functionality but plays gapless) and an app from MediaHouse (easy to use, easier playlists but not gapless).

I bought a Cyrus N Remote then sent it back after a week for a refund. A good idea that should have worked better than it did (bit like the Cadence app).

I use MM on my Windows (7) PC and consider it to be one of the most powerful pieces of software of it's kind, and I still very much like the idea of a "proper" version of MM on the Android tablet, picking music from the TB's available on the NAS and pushing it through the Cyrus Streamer. Perfection that I'd gladly pay for. Even a "dumbed down" version would do!

But I guess it's not going to happen (maybe if enough people shout..........?).

PaulEast, if I can be of any help just fire away................