MM Cloud

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

fcoulter

MediaMonkey in the Cloud

Post by fcoulter »

I'm not sure if this is doable with the current version of MediaMonkey and addins. If it is, then someone need to write up a "how to" guide for the rest of us. If it's not doable, then this is a wish list item.

Currently, Amazon, Google, and Apple provide some sort of "save your music library in the cloud" service. With this service, you're library is backed up and accessible to many devices, assuming the proper client is installed and it has some sort of internet access. However, all the services have limitations and serious bugs. Apple's cloud service apparently destroys music libraries. Amazon's replaces the tags you've added with their own. Google's, while apparently the best so far, has limited functionality and has recently decided to cut functionality rather than increase is.

What would be really useful is if MediaMonkey could be used with a cloud based service. It would be best if a server based version of MediaMonkey were created so that the full functionality were available. I'd be happiest if there was a commercial service (for a fee, obviously) which worked with client sides of MediaMonkey for Windows, Android, and other platforms. Heck, if the database were online, clients could be built for currently non-supported operating systems. But given how easily someone can set up a web site now a days, if the software was available the user could build their own personal cloud.

The idea would be that the user could rip a CD into their library, and then without having to sync their devices, etc., the songs would be available to everyone of their devices immediately.
Last edited by Lowlander on Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
trixmoto

Re: MM Cloud

Post by trixmoto »

Yeah, it's certainly been talked about before. I had a conversation with one of the developers a long time ago, and I was planning to try and get something into some sort of alpha state at least, a proof of concept. Unfortunately life took over, and I never found the time.

I also have a few ideas on my list for better Dropbox and Google Drive integrations via scripts, but this hasn't happened either. Maybe one day... :-?
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.

Post by Guest »

I love MediaMonkey but honestly for me it's becoming harder to use it over the cloud services, even though I enjoy listening in FLAC quality. The reason? Suggested music. Similar music. All that machine learning that finds similar artists, whether or not you know about them. That's hard to beat. The available-everywhere thing is just the cherry on top.

If MM could at least use a cloud database to pick out the similar music in your library to the song/album/artist you're in the mood for, it might be a start. But the way people listen to music has just changed and it's hard to stay loyal, for me at least. Hope there's something on the horizon for MM.
leejac

Post by leejac »

I Second the integration between Google music and MM. MM is great for editing etc, however Gmusic much better for playing. If there was someway the two could talk together. Now Gmusic allows 50,000 files to be stored i can put my whole collection up there, but would like a sync between my MM database and Gmusic.
jiri

Post by jiri »

I can just confirm that we have plans for this in MM5, will hopefully be publicly available soon...

Jiri
joltman

Post by joltman »

jiri wrote:I can just confirm that we have plans for this in MM5, will hopefully be publicly available soon...

Jiri
That's great news!! I am really hoping this means there will be a separate "server" install for MMW/MML. Then, the "client" can be installed on laptops but the server would run as a service all the time on some machine in my home. The "server" install would have the ability to stream music and/or video outside of my network (like Subsonic). I also really hope that there is no MediaMonkey/VentisMedia hosted (required) solution. Honestly, this would turn me off from MM altogether. I should not have to subscribe and pay a monthly fee to access my content. I'd gladly pay another one time fee for the client/server software. There should be no need for the server service to need to talk back to Ventis Media/MediaMonkey Inc (except for possible license check).
Fergal Nugent

Post by Fergal Nugent »

Hi Jiri,

Thanks for the update on this. Like many others, I am at a crossroads with regard to MM. I really want to hold on to it but I need some tool to integrate and store your music on a cloud server so that this could be accessed on the many devices I have. Do you think this upload will be integrated into MM5 in the short or long term? Do you have any further information on when this is expected to be released and whether there will be monthly "host" fee?

Many thanks,

Fergal
jiri

Post by jiri »

We understand that this and related features are very important for many of our users. For this reason we plan to have it in the initial MM5 release, i.e. not 'sometimes' later in MM5.1 or so. I can't say now exactly what it means in terms of time, but I'd be pleased to have MM5 pre-release ready before Christmas (no promises yet though).

Jiri
Fergal Nugent

Post by Fergal Nugent »

That's great Jari. Thanks for letting me know. I will keep an eye out on the pre releases. Fergal
joltman

Post by joltman »

jiri wrote:We understand that this and related features are very important for many of our users. For this reason we plan to have it in the initial MM5 release, i.e. not 'sometimes' later in MM5.1 or so. I can't say now exactly what it means in terms of time, but I'd be pleased to have MM5 pre-release ready before Christmas (no promises yet though).

Jiri
Thanks for the update, Jiri! Hopefully, this means multi-user support and NAS based server, LAN/WAN based client.
zombiefly

Post by zombiefly »

personally i would like to see the db side hosted as a server process. take a look at emby if you want to know what i mean.
All my media is served via Emby now apart from music, i'm stuck in a mess with this outdated MM model as i have to serve DLNA from my main PC. Everything else [movies etc] are coming from my home server.

Ideally i want the server to run MM and connect to it for management purposes from my main PC using MM client. I stream to devices such as my PI and muzo cobblestone over DLNA/UPNP which works a treat and keeps my play/skip counts up to date. I've tried various things such as storing the database on the network but it's always ended badly. I love the MM feature set but it's seriously becoming dated in terms of it's UI and architecture. It's really annoying me now and i'm constantly looking for better options however nothing comes anywhere near the MM feature set.

Are there any plans to do anything about this?
MM5 latest [Gold] / MMA latest | OnePlus 8 PRO | Noise I make: Pushkin on Soundcloud
zombiefly

Mediamonkey, the fly in the [network] ointment

Post by zombiefly »

ok. so i'm struggling here and have been for some time. let me explain.

I have a home server, a main PC and various streaming devices such as raspberry pi's and MUZO cobblestone [music streamer] + a nexus 5 phone.

My music is stored on my home server. Media monkey desktop on my main PC indexes the server music via file shares and has done for years. I then sync to my phone on which I use MM Android. This works well for mobile use, as I bluetooth to my car stereo as my main source of music in the car [as it syncs play counts etc back to the main library]. When at my main PC in my home office, I use MM desktop to play and administer the music collection. I'm fine with this.

On the server, I run emby server, which serves up movies/tv to the pi's around the house. This works brilliantly and I can even stream multimedia content outside of home. I don't use the music library feature of emby though as it's poor to say the least.

If I want to stream music downstairs to the muzo device, I have to switch my main PC on to use MMW as the DLNA server. this works brilliantly, play counts etc. sync to the main library.

My problem is that i need to switch on the desktop in order to serve music to the devices. While this isn't the end of the world, it means i have to run my stupidly powerful 650w PSU driven beast just to serve music. Ideally i want the DLNA bit of MM to be hosted on the server, but this then presents a problem when running the desktop version on the main PC. I've tried hosting the MM database on the server, but this just failed to work. I was forever getting issues with SQL statements not working and random jamming of the application.

things would work better if MM used a client/server model, much like Emby does or if it could use a proper database model which could handle multi-client access.

There is no better player/management app than MM desktop but it's architecture is pretty much out of date for today's world. I keep reading "this is coming in mm5" all over the forums for so many features, but there's no sign anywhere of MM5 even in alpha form. Does anyone have any idea what I can do here to improve the situation?
MM5 latest [Gold] / MMA latest | OnePlus 8 PRO | Noise I make: Pushkin on Soundcloud
nohitter151

Re: Mediamonkey, the fly in the [network] ointment

Post by nohitter151 »

zombiefly wrote:ok. so i'm struggling here and have been for some time. let me explain.

I have a home server, a main PC and various streaming devices such as raspberry pi's and MUZO cobblestone [music streamer] + a nexus 5 phone.

My music is stored on my home server. Media monkey desktop on my main PC indexes the server music via file shares and has done for years. I then sync to my phone on which I use MM Android. This works well for mobile use, as I bluetooth to my car stereo as my main source of music in the car [as it syncs play counts etc back to the main library]. When at my main PC in my home office, I use MM desktop to play and administer the music collection. I'm fine with this.

On the server, I run emby server, which serves up movies/tv to the pi's around the house. This works brilliantly and I can even stream multimedia content outside of home. I don't use the music library feature of emby though as it's poor to say the least.

If I want to stream music downstairs to the muzo device, I have to switch my main PC on to use MMW as the DLNA server. this works brilliantly, play counts etc. sync to the main library.

My problem is that i need to switch on the desktop in order to serve music to the devices. While this isn't the end of the world, it means i have to run my stupidly powerful 650w PSU driven beast just to serve music. Ideally i want the DLNA bit of MM to be hosted on the server, but this then presents a problem when running the desktop version on the main PC. I've tried hosting the MM database on the server, but this just failed to work. I was forever getting issues with SQL statements not working and random jamming of the application.

things would work better if MM used a client/server model, much like Emby does or if it could use a proper database model which could handle multi-client access.

There is no better player/management app than MM desktop but it's architecture is pretty much out of date for today's world. I keep reading "this is coming in mm5" all over the forums for so many features, but there's no sign anywhere of MM5 even in alpha form. Does anyone have any idea what I can do here to improve the situation?
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... by#p417271
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
MagGyver

Post by MagGyver »

I second zombiefly's request and have additional details I'd like to suggest, if it's possible.

I'm currently using Google Music to host a large portion of my 8000+ song library, but the remaining 900 tracks or so are encoded in FLAC so they are not uploaded to GM. I loathe the idea of converting and storing duplicate MP3 versions of these tracks, for the sole purpose of adhering to GM's format limitations, from a storage perspective. I like MMW's auto-conversion rules for when I sync to MMA on my phone, which converts on-the-fly and helps me reduce storage space needed on my phone.

I wonder if it would be possible, if implementing a direct connection to GM, to have auto-conversion rules allowed? Perhaps GM (and other cloud services the MM devs may be considering) would have to be set up as "devices" so these auto-conversion rules could be applied.

I've been a lifetime license holder of MMW for over a decade now and love the featureset. I've put untold number of hours into honing my playlists and have curated extensions that bring me just the right user experience I want when managing my music library. I can hardly imagine my music world without it, but meaningful connections to today's cloud services is a must-have Killer Feature if MMW is to continue on as one of the world's premiere music managers, in my opinion.
DJ Maggie
MM user since 2005
MMW5, MMA
linktr.ee/djmaggie
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you can access the cloud service through a drive letter on your PC it should work as syncable location with d_USBMass: http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brows ... e-plug-in/