Volume leveling does not work [#13592]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

nightroan

Volume leveling does not work [#13592]

Post by nightroan »

Hi,

In MMW, I analyzed volume for one copy but not the other, so only one copy has volume leveling information. Volume leveling works as expected in MMW. When syncing the same two copies to MMA, both songs had the same volume even with "Level Volume" enabled. I confirmed that mmstore.db had the correct information (one with and one without volume leveling information).

build 551
Zenfone2
android 5.x
usb and wifi sync - deleted files in between
Log ID: OWIKPVAL5Y
Lowlander

Re: Volume leveling does not work

Post by Lowlander »

Do you have Volume Leveling enabled in the Device Profile in MMW? It will level files on sync.
nightroan

Post by nightroan »

That's a MMW gold feature, which I do not have :(
rusty

Post by rusty »

To clarify: volume leveling should work in MMA if:
- The tracks have volume leveling co-efficients in MMW
- The tracks were synced to the device with MMW (if they're just copied to the device, metadata from the database such as ratings/volume leveling will not be in MMA)
- MMA has volume leveling enabled

Can I ask: do the tracks in MMA contain ratings information (I want to verify that the tracks were synced correctly)?

-Rusty
nightroan

Post by nightroan »

Hey Rusty,

The tracks have volume leveling information in MMW. MMW plays the copy without that information louder than the one that does have it (coefficient is -10.1dB)
Tracks are synced using MMW. Ratings seem to sync properly. I synced tracks, changed the ratings in MMW, synced again, and the ratings updated in MMA.
"Level volume" option is checked in MMA. Please don't tell me there's another option that I missed :-?
I took a peek at mmstore.db on my phone and the volume leveling information matches MMW.

Some more info:
MMW is configured to only store tagging information in the library and not in the files' tags.
I tested using internal storage to avoid any potential sd card issues.
Zenfone2 runs on an intelx86 cpu. Hopefully that shouldn't be a problem.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
May I suggest that you increase Volume leveling in MMW to 93-95 (Tools -> Options -> Player -> Volume leveling) end set it to Level Per Track not per Album and report back the results?

Even by red book nominal leveling should be 89 mostly newer tracks are compressed/leveled to 93-95 as it increases Sub-woofer/Bass frequency response.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
nightroan

Post by nightroan »

Hey Peke,

In MMW, I changed the volume level target to be 95dB and set it to level per track.
In MMA, I wiped the app data, deleted the songs, and synced everything over (tried both USB and wifi sync)

Nothing changed. Volume sounds the same on speakers and headphones.

I manually edited the file tags for one of the files using mp3tag and it doesn't seem to do anything for MMA. MMA doesn't have a tag parser, right? For other android apps with a tag parser, it resulted in a noticable volume change.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Ok Thank you. I'll tested on my devices today and see if I can find one that can replicate the problem.
Best regards,
Peke
nightroan

Post by nightroan »

Thanks for taking a look. Let me know if you want me to create more debug logs.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Tested on Moto G LTE (2013) LP 5.1, Verizon LG KK 4.4.2, Nexus 7 (2012 LP 5.1.1, 2013 MM 6.0.2) , ZTE Blade Q JB 4.2.2 and had no issues.

Can you send Log before you start playback of file and one after and send us both log IDs here? We should see what is read and why it is not used.

Only difference I can see is that there is Track gain but no Album gain or album gain is badly calculated. Can you copy track directly off device and send us a sample to see what exactly is going on and we can analyze audio data.
Best regards,
Peke
rusty

Post by rusty »

Nightroan,

When I'd last responded, one of the questions I'd asked was whether Ratings appear on the device (1-5 star ratings). The reason i asked is because if they don't then it means that track metadata isn't being correctly synced to the device (i.e. the device is only getting whatever metadata is included within the track's tags, but not any other metadata that is stored solely in the db). So if track ratings don't appear on the device, then it means that volume leveling data won't have been synced either.

-Rusty
bob123

Volume leveling for MMA not working while it works on MMW

Post by bob123 »

I have the latest versions of both MMW and MMA and Android 6.0 on my phone. I have set my volume leveling set to 89 db and set the "level/sync volume value" to per track in MMW. I did the analyze volume command for all my songs in MMW and it works fine (also have volume leveling option checked in MMA), however when I sync my songs to my phone the leveling does not work and the volume is all over the place on my phone as it would be if I had not done anything with it at all. Is there another setting I need to tweak to get it to work? I also checked the properties of a number of songs and all of them show the leveling coefficient so I know the info is in there.

As a test to see if the metadata is transferring over I changed the rating on a song an re-synced and it did transfer to my phone so I know that's working but the volume leveling still isn't working for some reason.
Aff

Post by Aff »

Same here with MMA 1.2.0.0614. Volume leveling has no effect, it doesn't turn the volume down on loud tracks.
Aff

Post by Aff »

Log file sent (before playback: 8QFSXR98C, after: NVNHH28ESW).

The volume_leveling field in mmstore.db has -12.52.
I've created a copy with a lower volume (volume_leveling 0.29), but it plays the same volume.

That's on a Samsung S5, Android 6.0.1.

See Volume leveling for MMA not working while it works on MMW as well.
cncb

Post by cncb »

rusty wrote:To clarify: volume leveling should work in MMA if:
- The tracks were synced to the device with MMW (if they're just copied to the device, metadata from the database such as ratings/volume leveling will not be in MMA)
MMA relies on MMW for volume leveling information and can't read it from the track file itself?? So, if I just copy a track with volume leveling metadata onto my device from Windows Explorer (outside of MMW) it will not be able to read the volume leveling information?