Selected Columns used to be per library.

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

RobHayes

Selected Columns used to be per library.

Post by RobHayes »

For instance, my Audio Podcast subscriptions require the columns: Date, Podcast, Title, Length; and my Playlists library requires Rating, Artist, Title, etc.

I've noticed that when I attempt to change the columns in any library, they change across the board. This flaw has made MM unusable for more than one Library. Is anyone else experiencing this, or is it just me?
Lowlander

Re: Selected Columns used to be per library.

Post by Lowlander »

Perhaps you set them to be associated with a different Collection thus they all take the changes.
RobHayes

Post by RobHayes »

Lowlander wrote:Perhaps you set them to be associated with a different Collection thus they all take the changes.
My Audio Podcasts library (which has RSS-enabled subscriptions) has "Share Tree & Columns settings: none". Yet when I change it, the columns do change in my Playlists view, which does not even have the option to enable or disable column sharing.

edit: To state the problem more simply, I cannot set how Playlists get their column data, and by default it is populating from a collection I do not want.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Playlists use the settings from the Collection they're associated with.
RobHayes

Post by RobHayes »

Lowlander wrote:Playlists use the settings from the Collection they're associated with.
Not the case. The tracks in my playlist are all from a collection called Just Added, which has the columns I want. Yet, the playlist is getting its column data from my audio podcasts collection, which I do not want.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You may need to run File > Maintain Library with complete optimization.
RobHayes

Post by RobHayes »

Lowlander wrote:You may need to run File > Maintain Library with complete optimization.
That did not work. Any other ideas?

edit: resolved by creating a new playlist and deleting the old one. The playlist was very old and might have become corrupt during upgrades.
RobHayes

Post by RobHayes »

Unfortunately the issue has returned as I have created new playlists. Now the playlists have taken control of my Audio Podcasts collection. I wish playlists just acted like collections instead of trying to inherit their columns.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

RobHayes wrote:Unfortunately the issue has returned as I have created new playlists. Now the playlists have taken control of my Audio Podcasts collection. I wish playlists just acted like collections instead of trying to inherit their columns.
Every playlist can be changed for the view type. You right-click the playlist and there is something like "Edit playlist" or similar. Then there is a drop down menu and you choose the type of items in the playlist. The column settings will match whatever you choose in the drop down menu.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
RobHayes

Post by RobHayes »

nohitter151 wrote:
RobHayes wrote:Unfortunately the issue has returned as I have created new playlists. Now the playlists have taken control of my Audio Podcasts collection. I wish playlists just acted like collections instead of trying to inherit their columns.
Every playlist can be changed for the view type. You right-click the playlist and there is something like "Edit playlist" or similar. Then there is a drop down menu and you choose the type of items in the playlist. The column settings will match whatever you choose in the drop down menu.
Thanks for this info. I am fairly certain this is the cause of my woes. I only wish this feature wasn't so hidden. Edit Playlist should be renamed to something else.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

RobHayes wrote:
Thanks for this info. I am fairly certain this is the cause of my woes. I only wish this feature wasn't so hidden. Edit Playlist should be renamed to something else.
Like what?

RobHayes

Post by RobHayes »

nohitter151 wrote:
RobHayes wrote:
Like what?
I just realized when you create a playlist there is a dropdown box. I must have overlooked it every time. But I think 'View as' should be 'Columns from'
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

RobHayes wrote: I just realized when you create a playlist there is a dropdown box. I must have overlooked it every time. But I think 'View as' should be 'Columns from'
I don't know, that doesn't really seem to be more clear.