What is the best backup methodology (no devices or periphs)

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MMFrLife

What is the best backup methodology (no devices or periphs)

Post by MMFrLife »

What is the best general backup methodology (not accounting for devices/peripherals).

I mean, as I understand it, the basic idea is to: make a copy of your .ini
and .db.

The .db, from what I understand, holds the library and collections/columns/nodes
data.

And the .ini holds the options, eq, search, burn, etc. settings (right)?

But I read something in another post from a while ago that said the .ini is also machine specific
and if you were ever to do a new install on a new machine you should just use the .db.

...so, you would just have to reset the .ini data manually? What about where GUI element manipulation is stored.

Also, what about carrying over just the .db file from an installer version to a new machine with the portable version and putting it in the portable folder.
I did this when I built my current machine using MM 4.0.6 and it displayed things in an abnormal way, but I also used the .ini (I don't remember all the details,
was a year and a half ago).

Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out what scenarios are proper.
As many of you know, having to rescan your collection can suck, but it's nowhere near as painful as losing all the other stuff.

[currently using MM 4.1 portable]

Thanks
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Lowlander

Re: What is the best backup methodology (no devices or perip

Post by Lowlander »

Just do the DB, settings are stored in DB, ini and registry. Besides DB consider media file backup.

To make things easy: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... lit=backup

For more information just search the forum as there are several topics on backups already.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Lowlander what do you mean by "media file backup"? Is that a program or are you just generally saying
make sure you back up all your media files. I have no worries in that department.

That script looks really neat, will look into that. But I want to know it from the manual/DIY perspecctive.

Anyway, I'll look around and welcome any other input. [start edit] If no one knows off the top of their head, that's fine. I will look around. but I know about backing up files
and where the .ini and .DB are located. I'm looking mainly for someone who can tell me where GUI manipulation is stored and any bkp scenarios that most people don't usually mention in the typical forum topic on backups [end edit].

thanks
Last edited by MMFrLife on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, it means backing up your audio and video files.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

MMFrLife wrote:Lowlander what do you mean by "media file backup"? Is that a program or are you just generally saying
make sure you back up all your media files. I have no worries in that department.

That script looks really neat, will look into that. But I want to know it from the manual/DIY perspecctive.

Anyway, I'll look around and welcome any other input. [start edit] If no one knows off the top of their head, that's fine. I will look around. but I know about backing up files
and where the .ini and .DB are located. I'm looking mainly for someone who can tell me where GUI manipulation is stored and any bkp scenarios that most people don't usually mention in the typical forum topic on backups [end edit].
I agree with lowlands ... Backup 5.8 is great. It the a problem if your db is greater than about 650mb (I think it is). But I use it every day and before any large edits.
As for media files, just get a secondary, tertiary etc drive and keep copies of your music and video files. It can get expensive depending on the size of your collection but much better than having to re-rip all your media if you drive dies. The is a great program for just coping new changed files ... I do this once a month.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Ok, I feel like I worded what I'm wanting to know incorrectly.
I also don't want this to be like one of those posts where it feels like
someone is beating a dead horse" So, I'm gonna take one more stab at it and let it go.

"best backup methodology" in topic title refers only to MM files (library, settings, options, etc.) [forget about generally backing up media files (hard copies)
I am rather masterful and obsessive in that department, so no worries]. When I made the comment about "losing all the other suff" I was referring to settings,
not the library or media file hard copies. If you lose your library all you have to do is rescan (may take a while, but it's simple; you just make a few clicks)

Also, forget about other scenarios like mixing installer files into portable folder on a new machine, etc that I mentioned.

Ok, lets focus only on the idea of the .DB, .ini, registry, etc. MM files:

So, the two bkp ideas are:

01.) Do it the manual way (literally copy MM file(s) yourself)

02.) use a script or program to make it easier.

Using Backup 5.8 sounds awesome. I'd love to do that and will, but I don't like the idea of relying on one thing.
Let's say I start using only this program and in the future I move to a new machine. So, I say "great", I'll just
run the ole backup. But for some odd reason it wont work right. Well, I've been manually backing up the .DB
like Lowlander says (which I've done all along) but I guess I'm screwed as far as setings/GUI manipulation goes (right?).
[probably one in a milion that this will ever happen but I am a "what if" guy when it comes to anything computer related
(yeah, I know, annoying right?).

So, to conclude:

The vibe I'm getting is that maybe it's possible to back everything up manually for a future "new machine" situation, but it is so involved and difficult to figure
out that it's just easier to do the "Backup 5.8" program. But I would still like to get it "directly" confirmed by someone literally saying the words, "yes"; "no"; "I don't know" and
then adding any additional info if they want.

Anyway, sorry to be so annoyingly exhaustive. Again, my fault for incorrectly communicating.

Maybe my question is best suited for a MM programmer/developer/moderator. Someone who can also tell me things like what "all" the .DB holds other than the library and collections data (or maybe find a program that reads .DB files).

................. and if nothing else, at least thanks for taking the time to read.
MMFrLife out.

{btw "dtsig", thanks for the contribution, but I have no idea what you are trying to say at the begining of your post. Something about "It the a problem if your db is greater than about 650mb (I think it is)" also "The is a great program for just coping new changed files"}
😜
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Actually the Library (database) is the most important thing to back up from MediaMonkey. It contains all metadata (including metadata that isn't saved to files) as well as your Playlists, Podcast subscriptions, device profiles, dlna settings and part of the settings. Backing up and restoring registry is a bit involved (although if you care about this install as Portable as then it's a file instead of the registry) and the ini tends to have PC specific Paths (you could edit those prior to restoring on new PC).

As hinted above, a Portable Install may be the best way to go if you do care to backup settings as it is self contained, backing up the Portable Install folder would backup DB, ini, registry and addons. However the pitfall is that the Temp folder is also located here (can be moved to a different location).

Although I run a Portable Install I only backup the database daily (Karen's Replicator) and don't bother with anything else. If I loose settings (it has happened recently) I reconfigure them (a fresh start isn't a bad thing after all when it comes to computers).

As far as Backup and DB size, it is referring to the size of the MM.DB file, not your media collection size. As for checking out the DB it is an SQLite DB, more on the DB itself: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... _structure
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

That's a heck of an answer Lowlander. Give yourself a round of applause! You are truly appreciated!!!
You've given me enough to were I can figure out what I need to know. Sorry to make you write so much
but it is seriously apprecitated!
😜