Options for sharing my MM library on my WIFI

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

NWDreamer

Options for sharing my MM library on my WIFI

Post by NWDreamer »

I've tried to get somewhat up to date on DLNA and did some searching through the forums here, but I think I'm more confused now than before I started, so I'll just say what I have and what I'm hoping to do. Maybe someone can lead me in the right direction - I can't afford to buy a bunch of things and hope they work (some of the solutions I saw, like Sonos, are stupidly expensive).

I have a large MM library (soon to be close to 200,000 songs) that I currently access using Erlend's remote app or directly from the PC that contains the hard drive with my music and a portable installation of MM.

Eventually, I want to be able to use my phone and tablet to control MM and send music to other rooms but, for now, I'm starting with just the best approach to network my library (without having to use someone else's software to see things).

I have a USB port on my wireless network so, can I connect an external hard drive with my portable installation of MM and my library to that, or do I need to get an actual NAS? Is there a "best" practice here? The whole goal to having a portable installation is so you can access it while it's on a network drive (or take it with out on an external), right?

I'm trying to prepare for when the ability to "push" using DLNA comes along with v4.1 (or whenever) and would also like to help Erlend test out changes to his app again to support this new functionality.

Thank you!
Craig B. (a.k.a., NW Dreamer - Gold MediaMonkey user.)
NWDreamer

Re: Options for sharing my MM library on my WIFI

Post by NWDreamer »

I think I've got one question answered. I definitely would want a NAS instead of just using an external hard drive. Some of the other features they bring to the table really make it worthwhile.

So I guess my updated question would be if MM can run on a NAS and be used from networked computers? I don't see why not, since it's running as a portable installation now, but I just want to be sure before I buy any remote device (currently looking at the Arctic Audio Relay http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/living/wirele ... tml?c=2327) that attaches to a stereo or powered speakers.
Last edited by NWDreamer on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

The use of a NAS is the way to go for storage but don't cheap out because they can be very slow. I have on and love it for simplicity/access from other devices on network. Serving files is usually okay but other access, copying to and management tools (usually some 'on nas' tool) sometimes really are slow.

Although I have not tried it I believe I have read that it is best not to put MM on the nas because of performance issues.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
NWDreamer

Post by NWDreamer »

Yeah... I continued researching them for a couple of hours after posting and found that, unless you pay a LOT for the better ones (like a Synology), that it will be too slow for media streaming. I'll still get one eventually, but I can't afford to spend $600 right now plus whatever it will cost for two hard drives (I hear that it's best to get ones specifically designed for NAS, like WD's red instead of green).

For now it looks like I'll have to continue to use a hard drive inside a PC and share that.

Still wondering how it will work with MM if I get one of those Arctic Audio Relays though!
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

NWDreamer ..

I don't think that is true. I have a pretty cheap Buffalo NAS box and it streams to multiple devices pretty well. For some reason it is just putting MM on the drive that is *slower*. Specially the db. And access from external to the drive for maintenance.

But like I said .. for streaming it is working pretty well.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can't install MediaMonkey on a NAS (so that the NAS runs MM), however installing as Portable Install can be done anywhere and then every Windows machine runs MM. I wouldn't recommend that, but it should work.

If you use one machine in the network for editing you could install MediaMonkey local (Portable Install is still fine) and use its DLNA server to serve to any client (including MediaMonkey on other Windows machines). This way you have one central DB, fast response (as it runs local) and your media files can still be stored anywhere (internal/external/network(including NAS)).
NWDreamer

Post by NWDreamer »

Ok, thanks for the reply Lowlander. I think I'll spring for one of those Arctic Audio Relays and, when it arrives, give this whole thing a try.

Will the ability to push songs from MM still be available with v4.1? (Any idea about when it will be out of beta?)

I literally have weeks of work still ahead to import and format the remaining songs so I'm certainly not in the "Is it ready yet???!" crowd. That said, I'm sure looking forward to being able to do this! :wink:
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

NWDreamer wrote:Will the ability to push songs from MM still be available with v4.1?
It's a new feature in MediaMonkey 4.1. No release date for 4.1 final is known.