Rating

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Linn_addicted

Rating

Post by Linn_addicted »

I am using MM for a couple of years. It is my favourite tool for sorting and changing my FLAC Collection.
However I have a big problems with the rating of MM. :evil:
I read that there are problems with high number of records. Currently I have a collection of more than 10.000 records
MM is using a percentage range from 0 to 100.
My tool on the ipad like Kinsky sorts the titles between 0 and 5 stars.
If I change the rating with another tool in the 0 to 5 star range I always get a bomb in the rating.
Is there a tool in MM to change from the percentage range to a the classic star range or can I change the setting to the star range?

Best regards
Lowlander

Re: Rating

Post by Lowlander »

When sync files from MediaMonkey to an Apple Device there should be no problems with the Rating. Definitely there is no correlation between Library size and Ratings. Also the 0-100 scale is an internal one, not one used in files, nor does it matter as MediaMonkey writes to the Apple Device DB itself when syncing.
Linn_addicted

Post by Linn_addicted »

May be my question was not precise enough.
I am using MM as the basis for my collection. The 2nd step is ASSET UpNP. Number 3 is a Linn Akurate device.
The only Apple device is the iPad for selecting the files. The apps I'm using is Kinsky from Linn or Songbook.
Both apps have a rating option to select the records (classic number 1 to 5 as a star equivalent).
If the rating has been done by MM all rated files will be higher than 5 stars in theses apps, as even 20 is the minimum (one star equivalent in MM)

Is there a possibility in MM to get rid of the percentage scale?
Is there a tool to convert the percentage scale within MM as a plugin?
The easiest way may a setting in the new version 4.1.

Of course I can do the rating in a differnt tool, but I would like to stick at MM.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Linn_addicted wrote:If the rating has been done by MM all rated files will be higher than 5 stars in theses apps
You have observed this?

What file types are you working with? MP3's ID3 uses a 0-255 scale which is what MediaMonkey uses as well. There's a discussion that indicates this will be implemented a little better according to the standards for ID3: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =7&t=40532
Linn_addicted

Post by Linn_addicted »

Yes I have observed this.
If you need some images I can provide this pictures.

I am using FLAC files converted by dbPoweramp CD Ripper.
When I used the MM rating logic I can see the percentage rating with MP3tag in the extended tag region under "rating".
3 Stars means 60. Selecting the records with the Kinsky app means a 5 Star rating (60 higher than 5).
Therefore I changed the MM rating to a 1-to-5 star rating via MP3tag. Then the rating is correct at the app but I see a bomb in MM. :evil:
I also changed the app. I got the same results with songbook. :evil:

Useless to say that I am only using the gold edition MM and I bought all the other tools - not just downloaded.

Thanks for your help. It seems there is no easy to fix solution. I am hoping for MM 4.1.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0 confirms that MediaMonkey is using a non-standard way for FLAC? I don't know the rational for doing this.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Lowlander wrote:http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0 confirms that MediaMonkey is using a non-standard way for FLAC? I don't know the rational for doing this.
The rationale is that there is no proposed standard rating tag for Vorbis comments.
http://wiki.xiph.org/VorbisComment#Reco ... ield_names
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Linn_addicted

Post by Linn_addicted »

Thanks for the comments. :D
However if two programms are using the same way of handling rating FLAC files from different vendors I assumed that there is a quasi standard.
Mayby MM can support that way, also. :wink:

In the meantime I have to live with the bombs.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Linn_addicted wrote:Thanks for the comments. :D
However if two programms are using the same way of handling rating FLAC files from different vendors I assumed that there is a quasi standard.
Mayby MM can support that way, also. :wink:

In the meantime I have to live with the bombs.
Your lucky i want the bombs to show but i dont get them in my ogg files :(
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Linn_addicted wrote:Thanks for the comments. :D
Mayby MM can support that way, also. :wink: .
But if MM changes to a 0-5 system for vorbis comments, this means there will be no way to support half-stars, which is a key in MM.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.