Samsung Galaxy S3 sync

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Aralvor

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 sync

Post by Aralvor »

rovingcowboy wrote: glad to have you join in the mm forum.
Yeah, just noticed it after i replied.. sorry about that. Thanks for the welcome..!
ScottieB

Post by ScottieB »

Hi everyone. I've got a Galaxy Note 2 and MM paid version, and similar issues. I've been reading and experimenting for the better part of 2 weeks now...

In my case I think MM is working mostly correctly. I have the latest release version for now, plan to try the beta 4.1 when I have more time. It sees my phone as the model number and 'phone and 'card'. Syncing seems to work, though Samsung's driver's (and/or windows 7) seem to make the mtp connection flakey. The main issue I have (when I can get the USB connection to hold long enough to sync) is that MMA on my phone cannot see the playlist files. Other player apps can see them but ideally I's stay in MM. I've read a few threads on this but nothing I did seemed to work - tried the different playlist settings, tried deleting profiles, etc.

Really I think the main problem in my case is the samsung and/or windows mtp drivers. They are not very stable and a lot of people seem to be having issues getting the connection to 'stick'. I would like to figure out this playlist thing though because if that was working for me I could work around the other stuff.

I read earlier that someone said a fresh install of windows fixed it for them... I've been having other nonrelated problems with direct-x as well and have a win8 license... maybe time to do a fresh install....
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are the Playlist PLA or M3U playlists on the device?
ScottieB

Post by ScottieB »

M3U
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

ScottieB wrote:M3U
I had posted the first day of beta testing my m3u playlists were not being seen by mma. Rusty found out and replyed that andriord handles out side of program m3u's and sends them to default system player which is mostly google, but monkey sees all mma internaly made m3u's.

Maybe this is cause of your errors too.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=68828

Just had thought that might fix this?

1 mmw made m3u's synced to mma device
2 mma instead of just copying the m3u needs to re write it and save it doing the syncing operation.

That seems like it should then be an internaly created m3u list and mma could play it then,
Does that appear to meet the requirements of andriod devices?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
ScottieB

Post by ScottieB »

Cool thanks for the link and info.

It's weird... sometime MTP works flawlessly. Other times it is frustratingly flaky. I can't seem to find a pattern (ie reboot of phone/computer/both doesn't necessarily fix it) but to be fair I'm new to Android.

Regardless of the MTP connection though still no luck with the playlists but lots more experimenting to do :)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Note if you have problems with Playlists you should upgrade to the latest beta of 4.1 and remove the Device Profile(s) for the device to let MediaMonkey create new ones. For many this will resolve Playlist syncing, if it doesn't make sure you enabled Playlists to sync in the Device Profile. If that fails send a debug log (step 4b) to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... f=12&t=341
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Just starting to attempt to use MM to store/sync music to my SG3.

First problem I am finding is that you MUST first start MM .. THEN plug in the phone. MM can not find the phone if it is already connected. Why is this?

Second, when I connect the phone W7 automatically gives the list of ways/progs to connect to phone. 1st one listed is Sync using MM .. If i select that it tells me that I only have 11gig on my phone. That is probably true of the primary phone but the card, where i want to store music etc, is a 32gig with approx 29gig left. How do I get MM to sync to the card?

Win7 with current patches, MM 4.0.7.1511

Is there a beta that works better?

Thanks
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There should be 2 profiles for the device (one internal and one card) under Tools > Options > Portable/Audio Devices where you can setup sync for the card.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Thanks Lowlander .. found it and unclicked phone and left card clicked. Will see how this works.

Any ideas on the other 2 questions.

Thanks again
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Never tried connecting phone prior to MM launch as MM is always running. 4.1 beta's have a general Playlist sync bug fix, but for the S3 that was addressed on 4.0.7.
finstinct

Post by finstinct »

I sync a playlist called "Phone export" its the easiste way I know of keeping track of the music I want on my phone. I have a tmobile sgh9999 samsung galaxy s 3.

I just noticed when synching to "sgh9999- card" it goes to phone and when synching to "sgh9999-phone" it goes to the card. Didn't notice until it filled the phones memory and ran out.

win7 home premium sp1

I never saw this before, I had almost 20gb of music on another 32gb sd and I guess I fried the micro sd plugging my phone in and out too much I guess...so this is a new 32gb.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can simply rename the devices (ie. switch card and phone in the names).
ScottieB

Post by ScottieB »

I'm back. Thanks for all the info. I think I got MTP working - at least for the last week or two it has behaved the way I'd expect more or less - but is what I read correct: that MTP cannot sync play counts? If that's true... why? Why would they omit a specific thing like that? What is it about play counts that causes issues and why a new MTP protocol that can't do it?

Anyway, if that is true, would an app like this - EasyUMS - (link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1711009) work if I can get the phone connected via UMS? I really miss my play counts, even if it is a trivial thing. Plus I just like trying to get stuff to work :) I understand the main downside to this is that it only works with the external card (fine by me) and you have to unmount the card from the phone to remount it as UMS on the computer. This means an extra step and also the phone cannot use the card when it is mounted. Fine by me again.

Any info appreciated.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Using MediaMonkey for Android should allow for playcount syncing.