MM4 keeps asking for admin permission when starting up

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Bored-UK

MM4 keeps asking for admin permission when starting up

Post by Bored-UK »

Hi, since upgrading to MM4 build 1476, most (but oddly not always) when MM starts it asks for admin rights to change the system.

How do I stop this happening?

I am running Windows 7 64b SP1
patch

Re: MM4 keeps asking for admin permission when starting up

Post by patch »

It is a bug imo
When starting up Media monkey checks the file associations. If it finds any have changed away from media monkey it tries to reassign them. The error it makes is trying to do it globally so needing admin privileges and doing it one at a time so it asks separately for each file type. Very frustrating.

The work around is
1) Choose no about half a dozen times at the admin prompt
2) Go to Tools -> Options -> OS integration -> Re-associate File Types on start-up -> disable
3) Ok option changes
4) Choose no about half a dozen times at the admin prompt
5) Repeat this for each windows user account

Btw I'm running W7sp1 32b and the same thing happens

Edit after searching it appears it is/was a known bug http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 1&p=330640
Has been marked as resolved but still occurs for me with MM 4.0.3.1476
Reproduced by a standard install of MM then set you video file associations back to your preferred movie player
chrismix

Post by chrismix »

I think there are maybe other times this can happen, but not always at startup. If any part of your library isn't in user folders but in folders that Windows considers outside the norm - for example if you keep music in C:\Music\

I think you also get the prompt if your .ini file tells MediaMonkey to store user settings within the program's own folder (in Program Files)
khelsing

Post by khelsing »

Bored-UK wrote:since upgrading to MM4 build 1476, most (but oddly not always) when MM starts it asks for admin rights to change the system.
This issue has been discussed several times in these forums, for example in this thread. IMO it's unlikely that it will be fixed.

The workaround posted above by patch should work.