Only "unknown" files available to Media Server

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

RobertM

Only "unknown" files available to Media Server

Post by RobertM »

LOVE the media server functionality. Got it running in minutes, as I've been searching for a good media server forever. Only one problem - under the media server tabs only the "unknown" .wav rips seem available. So I deleted the running media server, recreated selecting all media possible, and still, only "unknown" is available. No playlists, no photos, nothing but what sits in an "unknown" folder when accessing the entire library. Normal stuff (albums, artists, genres) appears and plays fine using normal MM functions, but won't media share.

The "unknown" entries that are available for media sharing are all .wav files, and have not been tagged with freedb data. Other flacs in the "unknown" folder do not show up as media shared and were not transcoded to enable media sharing. Other .wav files in the normal collection (with freedb data) did not get transcoded / added to the media share tab. I've rebuilt the database, scanned for new additions/changes, and have now run out of ideas.

So, to sum up the only items transcoded / available for the media server sharing are 'unknown' .WAV files without any tagging, and only in the "unknown' MM space.

How do I get all my audio into the Media sharing tab? Mostly flacs, but I have enabled the format in the media sharing options. Also set the min/max bitrate to 1/10000000. But as stated, it is not seeing other .wav files, just those with unknown everything, name, track title, etc etc, untagged by freedb.

Which is OK, but I can't listen to The Clash Sandanista and Coltrane's Blue train forever and ever, as those are the 2 albums ripped to 'unknown'.
nohitter151

Re: Only "unknown" files available to Media Server

Post by nohitter151 »

What did you select under the "Content" tab? What about at the "Auto-conversion" tab?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you enable the correct items under Content tab of the Media Sharing dialog. Also go through the Auto-Conversion tab to confirm it is set up correctly.

If possible also try verifying on another UPnP capable client that files are missing.
RobertM

Post by RobertM »

nohitter151 wrote:What did you select under the "Content" tab? What about at the "Auto-conversion" tab?
Everything checked in content. All files all types. Autoconversion tab I've set to any audio over 64kb, stream WAV format. Only rule, as I thought maybe a rule was in the way so I removed the others.
RobertM

Post by RobertM »

Lowlander wrote:Did you enable the correct items under Content tab of the Media Sharing dialog. Also go through the Auto-Conversion tab to confirm it is set up correctly.

If possible also try verifying on another UPnP capable client that files are missing.
Yep I've checked on 2 DLNA devices and they can only see the files that show up on the MM server in the media server tab. And they play very nicely for transcoded files.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I assume everything has to be transcoded due to the chosen conversion rule? How do you verify that non-unknown (in MediaMonkey) files don't end up as unknown files once transcoded?
RobertM

Post by RobertM »

Lowlander wrote:I assume everything has to be transcoded due to the chosen conversion rule? How do you verify that non-unknown (in MediaMonkey) files don't end up as unknown files once transcoded?
I guess I don't. I can look at the directory where transcoded files are held and there are only the ones it can see there. Transcoding would take a while and consume resources - I never detected it converting 1000+ flacs.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It will only transcode when files are played on a UPnP client. So unless you play the files they won't end up in the UPnP Cache.
RobertM

Post by RobertM »

Lowlander wrote:It will only transcode when files are played on a UPnP client. So unless you play the files they won't end up in the UPnP Cache.
Nope when I installed on the host it went out and created the transcoded files immediately, but only of the unknown .wav files. Going to a DLNA client it saw/used them perfectly but only those.

There is a loopback in the interface that allows you to see what is shared by the host and thus made available to DLNA clients or another networked computer with MM4. If no items appear no client can see them.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

RobertM wrote:Nope when I installed on the host it went out and created the transcoded files immediately,
That is not the case in MediaMonkey, it only transcodes the files when a client plays them.

Maybe try to create a Playlist with a few files you think aren't working and share the Playlist and try to play the Playlist. If it has no files something might be wrong and a debug log send to support might help: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
RobertM

Post by RobertM »

Lowlander wrote:
RobertM wrote:Nope when I installed on the host it went out and created the transcoded files immediately,
That is not the case in MediaMonkey, it only transcodes the files when a client plays them.

Maybe try to create a Playlist with a few files you think aren't working and share the Playlist and try to play the Playlist. If it has no files something might be wrong and a debug log send to support might help: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
I think you are correct it transcodes on the fly. But entries representing audio files available to the server/clients appear on the host under the loopback host 127.0.0.1 - they are either there or not. In my case, not. I did a fresh install, no change, just in case I screwed up the access rules. I'm totally baffled but I'm thinking its just a bug. Filed an error report.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you try:
Lowlander wrote:Maybe try to create a Playlist with a few files you think aren't working and share the Playlist and try to play the Playlist. If it has no files something might be wrong
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Robert,

You can try sharing locally for testing purposes (i.e. MediaMonkey DLNA client can browse the MediaMonkey DLNA server).

Do this by configuring the MM server to share on Port 4000. That should work correctly--if it doesn't it likely means that there's a configuration problem, and you can use that environment to figure out what it is.

If you find that identical configurations work correctly with MM Client but not with your DLNA client, there may be some sort of incompatibility between MM Server and your client.

Let us know if this helps.

-Rusty