Another gapless playback thread...

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

~Maxx

Another gapless playback thread...

Post by ~Maxx »

I've been reading a lot of the back threads on this issue. It seems that this was never truly solved for v3? I have v3.2.5.1306 Gold, but haven't tried any of the beta versions of the upcoming v4 yet. My Gold key is only for v3.x. If there's something I've missed in v3, or some promise of things being resolved in v4, I'd sure appreciate a heads-up. Thanks in advance!
nohitter151

Re: Another gapless playback thread...

Post by nohitter151 »

There really shouldn't be any issue to "solve", gapless playback should work fine in v3. That being said, it is also working fine in v4.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
~Maxx

Post by ~Maxx »

Thanks for the quick reply nohitter. The issue I'm having is with tracks that do not have silence between them. There's a jump or skip in the transition. I'm not even sure that it qualifies as a gap to be honest. In any case - I was reading several threads from folks who had the same issue, and couldn't find a solution. My tracks are pretty much all wav files, by the way. But it seems to happen regardless of the format. Anyone have any info on this?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

~Maxx wrote:Thanks for the quick reply nohitter. The issue I'm having is with tracks that do not have silence between them. There's a jump or skip in the transition. I'm not even sure that it qualifies as a gap to be honest. In any case - I was reading several threads from folks who had the same issue, and couldn't find a solution. My tracks are pretty much all wav files, by the way. But it seems to happen regardless of the format. Anyone have any info on this?
Check your output plugin settings, you should have checked "Remove silence at the beginning/end of track" and disabled all crossfading effects.

There was an issue with gapless playback and WAV files, but it was fixed as of the latest build (3.2.5) plus you mentioned it happens with other formats. If all else fails try to switch your output plugin.

~Maxx

Post by ~Maxx »

Again - thank you nohitter. Your suggestions were covered in another thread though, and they either had no effect, or made things worse. If this hasn't been a problem across the board I'd have to wonder if it's MM at all. Maybe something else in my system? I run MM on two machines though (XP & Win7), and things are identical. Same issue. This is not a simple thing, is it...
~Maxx

Post by ~Maxx »

I hate to be overly persistent - but does anyone have any more info on this? From what I've read there are some folks with similar issues even when using MM4. I'm really not sure what to think or where to begin trouble shooting.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Maybe it's an issue with the files? Did you try with another player, to verify that another program plays them gaplessly?

~Maxx

Post by ~Maxx »

Playback is gapless in WMP (v12.x), and in XMPlay. But not in MM or VLC player. I was just getting ready to drop a couple of wav files on my mp3 player to see how they performed. I'm not sure if this gap or "jump" is transferred when moving to portable media players, or even if burning a home made disc. Seems that it's either not the file, or somehow WMP and XMPlay can remove the "skip" if it is in the file(s).

Thanks again nohitter. Can I assume that you do not have a similar issue?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

~Maxx wrote:Playback is gapless in WMP (v12.x), and in XMPlay. But not in MM or VLC player. I was just getting ready to drop a couple of wav files on my mp3 player to see how they performed. I'm not sure if this gap or "jump" is transferred when moving to portable media players, or even if burning a home made disc. Seems that it's either not the file, or somehow WMP and XMPlay can remove the "skip" if it is in the file(s).

Thanks again nohitter. Can I assume that you do not have a similar issue?
Yes, you can assume that. I never had any issue in version 3.x and now I've been using 4.x for a number of months without issue.

~Maxx

Post by ~Maxx »

It seems unlikely - but would this be some sort of buffer issue?

Post by Guest »

Just came here with the same issue. What Output plug-in are you using? I was using WaveOut.dll when having this problem. After reading this thread I tried switching back to DirectSound output and that eliminated the gaps.

Since I wanted to use the WaveOut output I started messing around with the buffer settings. Adjusting the "Buffer Ahead on Track Change" setting seems to have eliminated the gaps. Need to do more experimenting, but this seems to be on the right track (at least in my case).

-Dan