What if ALL track info is from completely different track?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

dr_snuggles

Re: What if ALL track info is from completely different trac

Post by dr_snuggles »

it DID happen at least 3 times here,to be more precise it happened upon search for missing/moved files.
i deinstalled mm3 some weeks ago and cant reproduce it with mm4.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

dr_snuggles wrote:to be more precise it happened upon search for missing/moved files.
ah, here I wouldn't be surprised if MediaMonkey matches fingerprints as that would be a good way to identify missing tracks.
WimYogya

Post by WimYogya »

nohitter151 wrote:
WimYogya wrote: any of the developers aware of that bug? and bugfixes on the way?
No, they're not aware of any such problem. If you can reproduce the issue with a certain set of steps, please let them know exactly how.
@nohitter
Well, I reported some time ago already that an unknown number of my tracks was messed up and i sent my db backup to analyze it.
I wouldn't want to try to reproduce the mess again, on the contrary, I want to get rid of it, not create more. But I wouldnt even know how.
Wim - 67 - Dutchman in Yogyakarta/Indonesia
Acer Aspire 6935 - Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, 2.26 GHz, 4 GB Ram DDR3, 320 GB hard disk, 1 CD/DVD-writer, 3 external drives (3Tb + 1Tb + 1Tb) - Windows 7 Ultimate - MM4.0.6.1498 debug and updating if necessary
WimYogya

Post by WimYogya »

@ludek

I had a session captured now - with a few hickups and a final freeze.
I saved the debug viewer logfile, which is just abacadabra for me.
How do I send it to you? I cannot attach the log file here, can I?

I have a feeling some problems occur if the user is editing the tag info of the currently playing track - the info is apparently not (always?) saved properly.
Recently I had deleted all my dead links, but now I had about 60 dead links back. Around half of it I recognized as tracks that I recently edited, some of them while the track was playing.
I am now rescanning all folders, because the music must still be there, and hopefully MM can find and re-import them again. But with what tags? The old ones, the new ones or a confusing mix?
Acer Aspire 6935 - Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, 2.26 GHz, 4 GB Ram DDR3, 320 GB hard disk, 1 CD/DVD-writer, 3 external drives (3Tb + 1Tb + 1Tb) - Windows 7 Ultimate - MM4.0.6.1498 debug and updating if necessary
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

WimYogya wrote: But I wouldnt even know how.
Then how are the devs to know?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
WimYogya

Post by WimYogya »

Well, they know the theories: what could possibly conflict or interact with what, if a messed up bunch of tracks is the apparent result, from time to time.
That could perhaps already indicate which procedures they have to verify or review.
And I sent my DB which apparently includes a bunch of those tracks - maybe they can locate them and analyze what caused the mess. I can't - I am just a very simple user...
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

WimYogya wrote:Well, they know the theories: what could possibly conflict or interact with what, if a messed up bunch of tracks is the apparent result, from time to time.
That could perhaps already indicate which procedures they have to verify or review.
If they knew of any situation that could cause this problem, then there would not be an issue, because it would be fixed already...

brs_manamal1

Post by brs_manamal1 »

Years ago I got very lucky when I lost a 500 gig library due to system corruption and ended up in your situation. Nothing completely fixed the issue either. What saved my #$%^ is a friend had just burnt a copy of it a few days before so I managed to retrieve it from him quickly. Now I keep a spare copy of all my media on a spare drive that is hidden away and only used to overwrite or to be updated with new content! I use a usb to sata adapter for quickly accessing the "backup drive" and allows for easily transporting my data also. I currently have over four terebytes of media backed up and hidden away!
WimYogya

Post by WimYogya »

Although I did not lose my complete library and most mess-up-tracks seem to regard a limited numbers of artists, I seem to be able to fix the mess when I come across it.
So I deleted a number of artists and re-imported their songs from a clean source.
But still, strange things happen from time to time: was playing the tracks of the cd by new/good/famous Dutch jazz singer Caro Emerald. All of a sudden she was male and sang Greek... Just 1 tracks messed up, the rest ok. Mysterious... Impossible to search.

@nohitter
But if we users report these errors in the way MM handles the db without being able to reproduce the error or to locate the messed up tracks, isn't that enough for the developers to take the issue seriously and start researching? Or is it simply useless to report a bug if you cannot give a solution hint at the same time?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

WimYogya wrote: @nohitter
But if we users report these errors in the way MM handles the db without being able to reproduce the error or to locate the messed up tracks, isn't that enough for the developers to take the issue seriously and start researching? Or is it simply useless to report a bug if you cannot give a solution hint at the same time?
You must realize that extensive testing takes place during the development of MM. But just a user saying that it happens without any hint of how to reproduce the issue leaves everyone in the dark as to how the problem can be resolved. After all, how can the problem be fixed if there's no inkling as to how it happens in the first place?

blucat

Post by blucat »

Well, here it is 2 years later, and I came across this issue still occurring. Maybe fixed by now, but this is the string that matched my search, so replying here. Here's EXACTLY how I ended up with music tagged with information from an entirely different track:
1. Had an album previously ripped into iTunes that was not yet in MM. (Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Show Your Bones) Lossless, if that matters.
2. Pulled tracks into MM using "Open URL or File..." under File menu. Highlighted all tracks from this album and pulled them in all at once.
3. It interpreted track 3 (fancy) as Zeppelin's D'yer Maker, and track 4 (phenomena) as REM's Old Man Kensey.
And YES...it overwrote those tracks with these YYY songs. Every Zeppelin song WITHOUT D'yer Maker? That's a bug that approaches moral travesty! Please fix! Must fix!
If there is one already, please direct me to it...
blucat

Post by blucat »

Ugh...after further review...my whole library is rife with this issue. MM and iTunes are not playing nice with each other...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

To add files you'd normally use File > Add/Rescan Files not Open File/URL. You also may want to disable Infer File Properties (under Tools > Options > Library) as it can get strange results.
WimYogya

Post by WimYogya »

I will soon give up using MM.
It is much better than iTunes for editing purposes, but it is much worse when it comes to the reliability and stability of the database. That is a complete mess.
Of my big library (100.000+) LOTS of tunes have been messed up while being used/imported in MM:
1. Many tracks (hundreds, maybe thousands) got wrong track info, from another existing track in the library.
2. Art work is often ridiculously stored: thousands of tracks have wrong art, hundreds have 5+ covers, all from wrong albums
3. During the recent christmas period I often played my 'christmas genre' songs in my restaurant. They included pop and rock and country and classic because the genre had been changed automatically.
4. Many tracks (hundreds, maybe thousands) end in the middle, e.g.: a 3.00 min tracks plays 0.47 seconds.
5. The strangest issue: Many tracks (hundreds, maybe thousands) contain sound from two different songs: an Ave Maria can start with Ave Maria and after 51 seconds change into My Way.
6. You can only find out all these issues one by one by playing them. Issues #1 and #3 can only be corrected if you know/remember/find what is the real title, from which artist etc. But it would take hundreds of hours to correct that all manually! - Issue #2 can be corrected manually but it takes lots of time - Issues #4 and #5 cannot be corrected. You must remove the item and hope you still have an original somewhere to reload or import again.
7. The MM developers show hardly any activity in the last year.
8. The MM developers do not do anything on the issues mentioned above. I should tell them how they occur, so that they can replicate them. But I have NO CLUE how they occur, they just ARE THERE. Then their reaction is: we cannot do anything. It means: We are not willing to admit that the STRUCTURE of the database is wrong and should be completely rewritten.

MM seemed to be a promising product.
But it became a nightmare.
Last edited by WimYogya on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

WimYogya wrote:I will soon give up using MM.
It is much better than iTunes for editing purposes, but it is much worse when it comes to the reliability and stability of the database. That is a complete mess.
Of my big library (100.000+) LOTS of tunes have been messed up while being used/imported in MM:
1. Many tracks (hundreds, maybe thousands) got wrong track info, from another existing track in the library.
2. Art work is often ridiculously stored: thousands of tracks have wrong art, hundreds have 5+ covers, all from wrong albums
3. During the recent christmas period I often played my 'christmas genre' songs in my restaurant. They included pop and rock and country and classic because the genre had been changed automatically.
4. Many tracks (hundreds, maybe thousands) end in the middle, e.g.: a 3.00 min tracks plays 0.47 seconds.
5. The strangest issue: Many tracks (hundreds, maybe thousands) are contain sound from two different songs: an Ave Maria can start with Ave Maria and after 51 seconds change into My Way.
6. You can only find out all these issues one by one by playing them. Issues #1 and #3 can only be corrected if you know/remember/find what is the real title, from which artist etc. But it would take hundreds of hours to correct that all manually! - Issue #2 can be corrected manually but it takes lots of time - Issues #4 and #5 cannot be corrected. You must remove the item and hope you still have an original somewhere to reload or import again.
7. The MM developers show hardly any activity in the last year.
8. The MM developers do not do anything on the issues mentioned above. I should tell them how they occur, so that they can replicate them. But I have NO CLUE how they occur, they just ARE THERE. Then there reaction is: we cannot do anything. It means: We are not willing to admit that the STRUCTURE of the database is wrong and should be completely rewritten.

MM seemed to be a promising product.
But it became a nightmare.
So you got this too i thought all these were caused by defraging, but if you got the same thing going on it cant be my defraging every other day, man i thought i was hearing two songs to day and i do get songs cut off and have had them switched in the middle, i replace them and some time later its back to the same way and always the same artists are being messed with,

And i use ogg files on mm3 xp pro sp3. Thanks for posting all these in one post, makes me glad to know i'm not doing this or my system is not doing it. But i'm sorry you got the troubles too.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.