playlist from my desktop to my laptop?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

policecruiser007

playlist from my desktop to my laptop?

Post by policecruiser007 »

I have all my music on both my desktop and my laptop. I want to create playlists on my desktop and then move the playlist to my laptop. I tried copying a playlist using a thumb drive, but the playlist shows the thumb drive letter and not the actual location on my laptop. What am I doing wrong?
Lowlander

Re: playlist from my desktop to my laptop?

Post by Lowlander »

File > Export to Playlist and then copy to other PC and use File > Add/Rescan Tracks. This only works if paths to files are the same on both PC's.
policecruiser007

Post by policecruiser007 »

Thanks, have to figure out how to change the locations to match.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If it's a simple difference in the root (ie the change is the same for all files) you can use Notepad and it's Replace function to replace say C:\Documents\My Music with D:\Music.
Karolm

Post by Karolm »

This if very important to me too, as I lost a lot of time doing it by hand. Unfortunately, I did not quite get the advice given here; so could someone please explain it to me in simple words? What I did: 1)exported the files to the same named folder from desktop to laptop (yes, C\:... etc. on both). 2)Transferred an .m3u file containing the playlist from the desktop to laptop. 3)Having .m3u files enabled, clicked on Add/Rescan tracks to the library, and put the checkmark: a) on the .m3u file, then, since nothing happened, put that file into a folder and put checkmark on that folder. Still, nothing happened. What did I do wrong? (I have the latest MM, the desktop runs on Windows 7, the laptop on XP - can that be the problem?) - Karol
"I wish you well!" - Rex Stout
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

The Export M3Us/Create Playlists for Child Nodes add-on could be used instead of the built-in Export All Playlists script, with the advantage of a possibility to replace paths in the .m3u files.

However, I think that Restore Play History/Date Added/Playlists add-on is much better for transfer of playlists.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
Karolm

Post by Karolm »

My problem is not with the exporting playlists (i.e., with creating .m3u), but with using the exported m3u file on the laptop (target computer).
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

My answer is mostly for the original poster and other visitors reading this thread which have different paths to the audio files on two computers. I think it is much simpler, faster and better for them to use my add-on to export .m3u files then the built-in Export All Playlist, then to open each and every .m3u file into Notepad and to use its Replace function.

However, as I said, Restore Play History/Date Added/Playlists add-on is much better solution for transfer of MM playlists then any .m3u export/import method. It works also with changed paths of audio files. You just need to copy MM.DB database file to the another computer and use that add-on to import playlists from it. However, if you prefer the solution with .m3u files, then I don't know the reason for your problem. Are you absolutely sure that you have the audio files with the same paths on both computers? Did you take a look at those .m3u files, is there anything unusual?
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
Karolm

Post by Karolm »

Thanks. I'd love to use your add-on, except that I cannot transfer the data base (I tried), because the laptop runs on Windows XP and the desktop on Windows 7. As for .m3u-s, I did not notice anything unusual. It just looks like MM on the laptop did not want to recognize them.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Karolm wrote:I cannot transfer the data base (I tried), because the laptop runs on Windows XP and the desktop on Windows 7.
I don't see any problem with that. You could transfer files even to some Linux computer if you want. Do you have the network? If you do, you even don't need to transfer the database file, just share folder with it and specify it using Network Neighborhood in the Open dialog box of Restore add-on.
Karolm

Post by Karolm »

No, I don't have a network. As for the problem: I transferred the MM.DB and the laptop MM never recognized it (it showed up fading to gray and did not play).
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

The MM.DB database file is not an audio file, it cannot be played, nor drag&dropped. You need to copy it to some temporary folder on the another computer and specify it in the Open dialog box which you get by click on the "..." button next to the "Backup database file" text box of the Restore add-on.

By the way, if you decide to try my suggestion, please make sure that you have a backup of both databases. I don't want to be blamed for something which could happen to you.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

ZvezdanD wrote: I transferred the MM.DB and the laptop MM never recognized it
See: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Folks here only want to transfer/import their playlists, not whole database.
Karolm

Post by Karolm »

I hope ZvezdanD is one of the "folks around here": I only answered his descripion of how to use his add-on.