Greetings From China Rising

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

China-Rising

Greetings From China Rising

Post by China-Rising »

I didn't see an Intro forum on here, so I thought I would post in the off topic forum. I've just joined (obviously) so I thought i'd give you a little intro....I say little, it will be rather long:

I'm 36 and from the UK and I live in a city called Manchester. I'm a Merchandising team leader and I'm also a DJ. Been into dance music since the 80's (I was a breakdancer for a while and loved old school hip hop) got into Jungle, Drum&Bass, Rave and happy hardcore in the early 90's (when EDM really took off in a very big way) (That's also when I got my 1210's) and then moving to Trance, House and Progressive in the later 90's. Over the years my record (Vinyl) collection has grown to over 10'000 and I have thousands of CD's, having moved to CD mixing a few years back when I got Denon and Pioneer CD Mixers.

My musical taste is very diverse, it's not just about dance music. I love rock, pop, soul, funk, new wave, punk.....the list goes on and my music collection does reflect this.

I use to do DJ reviews on the Net. Basically I would review up and coming DJ's and give links to their mixes for people to have a listen. I saw it as a way of giving the little guy a chance. Sadly, the reviews proved so popular, they had to be pulled as people were taking the reviews and links as their own and putting them on other sites. At last count, before it was pulled, there were over 1000 different web pages with the reviews and mix download links.

I've Dj'ed in the UK and also in Thailand and China. I was the first western DJ to play in Hui'an China in 2006 and I was also the first western DJ to play trance in the same place. I also have a monthly radio show on Renegade Radio called Its All About Trance, which is on the 3rd Tuesday of everyone month between 9pm-11pm (UK Time).

I'm looking to move to china by 2012. My wife is Chinese and lives in the UK and we've been together for 7 years.

I was an Admin on a very popular oldskool website called Pureoldskoolers. Sadly, after a year an a half online, it closed it's doors in March 2009. I stepped down as Admin due to "creative differences" and as a result, I decided to go it alone and open up my own Oldskool website. It's a forum dedicated to oldskool rave, jungle, drum&bass ect, It opened it's doors on the 25th March 2009 and is doing very well. Because i'm such a big fan of Trance I decided to open a site dedicated to that Genre as well.

I have a monthly radio show called Its All About Trance on Renegade Radio and i'm loving every second of it :)

Anyway, enough from me,

China-Rising
Eyal

Re: Greetings From China Rising

Post by Eyal »

Welcome to MediaMonkey community, China Rising.

What kind of user are you? : http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=3&t=881
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Peke

Post by Peke »

That is what I call introduction. Welcome.

Only thing missing like Eyal posted is BIO on how you use MM and how you found out about it.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
China-Rising

Post by China-Rising »

Peke wrote:That is what I call introduction. Welcome.

Only thing missing like Eyal posted is BIO on how you use MM and how you found out about it.
I replied to the thread which Eyal pointed out to me :)

As for how I use MM and how I found out about it, here goes:

Quite a few years ago I decided to transfer all my vinyl to the digital format. Having such a large collection I spent countless hours looking for software that would manage such a collection. I stumbled across MM and tried it out. After about a week I decided I didn't really like it (I was a fool back then) I suppose I just wanted something simple and shiny looking ( we all like pretty things) so I just stuck with WMP.

Now back in the present, my collection has grown by massive proportions (3 1TB Hard Drives full of music (Yes, that much)) I have everything quite neat (OCD anyone?) but I was finding it harder to find what I was looking for without using the windows search function. iTunes was ok to a certain degree (It was pretty, and easy to use) but it seemed to lack something for me. I wanted more control over how my files were tagged, so, after a break of a few years I decided to give MM another try.

I wasn't sure at first, but I did a little reading, finding out what I needed to know and how to do it with this programme. After a couple of weeks of messing and learning, I decided to buy a lifetime licence. Not really because I wanted lots of extra features, but because I actually thought it was such a fantastic programme which had been made and my little contribution of a licence would be me playing my part in it's future and of course, giving something back to the makers of the programme.

I use it all the time now and while I'm no expert, it is doing exactly what I want it to and need it too. It may not have the looks of iTunes (it certainly isn't a ugly looking programme, far from it) but it has to be the most perfectly rounded programme for music organisation there is.

I'm so glad I decided to give it another go and I haven't regretted putting my hand in my pocket and buying it. I would still like it to look pretty (I do like pretty things :lol: ) but as everybody says, it's not about looks, it's what's inside that counts.

As for how I use the programme? well It just keeps everything organised for me, I no longer use the windows search to find what I'm looking for. I open up the programme and find it straight away. I also use it to create playlists for my radio show (this is a massive bonus for me) I just love it, I can't praise it enough.