Add Customs to Categories

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

sickofusernames

Add Customs to Categories

Post by sickofusernames »

The nodes for categories are able to be edited easily. For example, if you have multiple "moods" for each song (separated by ;.) you can expand the mood tree and delete each individual node that you do not want in the mood category and it will be deleted from each individual song that it was associated with.
However, Custom 1-5 cannot be added to this list and so single tags cannot be mass deleted from these categories. Magic Nodes can create the nodes for Custom1-5 and separate child nodes for each individual tag; however, you cannot delete the tags in bulk from the tree.

Please message me if you want more information, but this would be very helpful!

Thank you!
Last edited by sickofusernames on Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: Add Customs to Categories

Post by Lowlander »

You can sort on the Custom field in the Library itself, select all files you want to modify and modify/delete the value in the Custom field.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

use the classification categories instead of custom fields, then you will have built in node where can mass delete/modify
sickofusernames

@tecnojnky - I already use the mood, tempo, occasion, and quality fields.

@Lowlander - I used genrefinder to import tags from last-fm users into a few of the custom fields based on specific criteria for each of the customs. But the criteria I used was broad because they are all user generated and there is very little uniformity. Therefore, I want to go through and delete the ones that I don't want. There are between 1 and 20+ tags per song. I want some of the tags but not all of them and it would take way too long to go through each track individually.
sickofusernames

Basically, I like a lot of different kinds of music, but it really depends on my mood and a lot of the time I'm in the mood for a specific kind of sound. That is why I like pandora. So, I tried to tag my music very specifically. I used to have iTunes, so I used the comments section. I rated a song 1-9 on how the overall speed felt. Then I said whether the beat and rhythm were fast or slow. Then whether there was a lot of feeling in it, if it always made me want to sing along, the main instrument, variability of the beat/rhythm, strength of beat, if it was more like talking than singing, if it was noisy or mostly acoustic, then a lot of words to describe the mood it made or setting it should be played in, then words describing the lyrics (story, notsappy, etc). Lastly a + "neut" or - to signify if it was upbeat/cheerful or more depressing of mood.
examples would include:
3 fasterbeat fasterrythm variable talkish move upbeat singalong! feeling uplifting light bright happy hopeful +
4 normfasterbeat normfasterrythm variable piano move swingsway upbeat singalong! feeling soothing uplifting lowkey light notsappy lyrics +

and that would take forever if I wanted to do all of my tracks. So I got mediamonkey + genrefinder to try to facilitate bulk tagging. If you have another suggestion, feel free to let me know.

Thanks!