MM Doesn't recognize CDs (Was: Rip CD - Access violation)

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

nohitter151

Re: MM Doesn't recognize CDs (Was: Rip CD - Access violation

Post by nohitter151 »

peaches wrote:I un-installed MM3, re-booted then went back to my MM2 exe file and installed MM2 again, and it's back working as MM2 with no problems.

I would never have installed 3 over 2, not sure if that would have been possible, but I take your word that it is.

As for the CD drive, I use Windows 98, and it doesn't use any particular driver for that operating system.

It could be an operating system issue, be interesting if anyone using 98 and MM3 if they experience the same issue with playing official CD's on MediaMonkey 3.
You need a patch to use MM3 on win 98, http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=38
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
peaches

Post by peaches »

nohitter151 wrote: You need a patch to use MM3 on win 98, http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=38
Thanks, but it was just the playing of CD's that I am having trouble with not burning, or does that link cover that too? I didn't see anything about playing on it.

My CD drive which is "D" does show, and this is the drive I play the discs, but the funny thing is my DVD writer drive on "E" doesn't show on the left of MM3.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

you didn't say 98 at first that was a big help to find that out.

you see mm 3 was made on xp. there are issues with hardware on the old 9x systems. i had an old win98 on an isa slot mother board. that board was so old it could not handle the png files.

also after much debate here from me seveal years ago the developers and some ms tech's got me to realize windows 98 was made and shipped with known bugs in the os that they could not fix at ms. so you do have to fight with the 98 os
for use of some things it should do.

i don't suggest mm3 on 9x systems for all those errors and hardware issues. the patch will help not sure if the burning issue is fixed by that patch. but the developers did try their best to get a great working mm 2 for win98 before they moved on to mm 3 for xp. and newer os's. mm 2 will work on newer os's but has more trouble on win7 then i think its worth, trying to use it on win7.
i would get the patch and use it since your on win98 you will need it., if you have your win98 on xp hardware then it should not have too many hardware issues to use the mm 3 version it will just have tons of win98 software issues.

you been using 98 for awhile then you know it needs babysitted every day that means junk files cleaning , registry cleaning,
defragmenting every week, and some other maintance programs of which i have forgot since i got rid of my old 98 os.

but run those and any others you might have. oh try to find a copy of the old cybermedia diskminder program or was it the nuts and bolts diskminder? that is the best one to use for fixing win98 errors

but if you keep it in shape 98 will run until the motherboard has a melt down. like mine finaly did after 10 years.
8)

oh your dvd drivers are too old win98 dvd units have been way out paced with the new ones. but the new ones don't work on 98. nothing is being made to work on 98 anymore unless it is some av program or antispy program very few are doing some games but very few that is. you can find lots of win98 software that was free still on the majorgeeks.com freeware site servers.
they kept it there just for you that still have 98 :D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
themgnt

Post by themgnt »

rovingcowboy wrote: i suggest it is an hardware issue with the cd drives you have that is causing the trouble.
Nah. That can't be it.

I thought it was as well so I replaced the drive but I still have the problem.

I'm thinking there's some problem with the hpcdburn.dll as, when the debug version is installed, that's what fails immediately on startup.
delapaz

Post by delapaz »

I get the same error in WinXP SP3, but only when I run as a user. When I run as admin it works fine.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

themgnt wrote:
rovingcowboy wrote: i suggest it is an hardware issue with the cd drives you have that is causing the trouble.
Nah. That can't be it.

I thought it was as well so I replaced the drive but I still have the problem.

I'm thinking there's some problem with the hpcdburn.dll as, when the debug version is installed, that's what fails immediately on startup.
well we both are on the same track then, i'm just a train length behind ya. 8)

um? so delapaz
you get it working in admin mode on xp.? that might be why i don't have troubles i run this xp pro computer as admin.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
peaches

Post by peaches »

What about users of win98?, I don't see anywhere that I can change who runs the computer as it's only me who does.
I don't think the option to change or amend this applies to windows 98.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

peaches wrote:What about users of win98?, I don't see anywhere that I can change who runs the computer as it's only me who does.
Have you installed the patch I linked to earlier?

peaches

Post by peaches »

nohitter151 wrote:
peaches wrote:What about users of win98?, I don't see anywhere that I can change who runs the computer as it's only me who does.
No because that was all about burning problems, mine is playing problems, and to be honest I wasn't sure which link was relevant.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

peaches wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:
No because that was all about burning problems, mine is playing problems, and to be honest I wasn't sure which link was relevant.
I think it's at least worth a shot. It certainly isn't going to make the problem worse.

peaches

Post by peaches »

nohitter151 wrote: I think it's at least worth a shot. It certainly isn't going to make the problem worse.
Like I say unsure which link is relevant.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

peaches wrote:
nohitter151 wrote: I think it's at least worth a shot. It certainly isn't going to make the problem worse.
The link to the .exe file and the link to download the ASPI driver.

peaches

Post by peaches »

nohitter151 wrote:
peaches wrote:
The link to the .exe file and the link to download the ASPI driver.
Thanks, but as I don't use MM to burn and as I can use version 2 to do conversions and rips then that will do me.

I know full well what can happen when replacing non essential drivers and executing non essential exe files.

The risk isn't worth the taking, but thank you just the same.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

windows 98 had to have you log off and change uses but you had to go in to admin and set up the users first there was
no fast user switching for 98. it was a pain in the but also it was not very well programmed because it requried you
to install the same program on each users desktop if they were to use that program. even though the same computer hd was being used.? that was not said by ms but found out by the users of 98. as well we also found out that you had
to run the maintance programs on each desktop, too so ten users had scandisk ran ten times. same for defrag, and the others. the mutliple users on 98 was as you see stoneage working of space age ideas.

8)
TJSmith

Post by TJSmith »

I have seen the same problem. I'll work on a report.

System is Win7, fairly clean install. I suspect the problem is related listing or accessing drives. When I first start media monkey, my upper drives dont show up. (They include card reader drives (basic 17-in-1 type card reader on the PC), a canon network printer card reader, and an LSI raid card)...

If I try to rip a CD from the E:\ while all these other drives are not being shown, I get the access violation error. 10 minutes later, after the drives show up in the Media Monkey list under My Computer, then I can rip CD's again.

I'll see if I can pull a debug log and such... might take awhile.
Regards,
TJ