problems upgrading from ver3.1 to ver3.2

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

gds

problems upgrading from ver3.1 to ver3.2

Post by gds »

I'm trying to upgrade from MM gold version 3.1 to gold 3.2 that will hopefully cure a few problems with playback.
PROBLEM #1 At the end of the installation wizard for ver3.2 it asks to launch MM and I tell it to do so and it does launch ver3.2, but when MM was closed and then opened again, it would run the previously installed ver3.1 instead of the new one. I went back and forth installing and uninstalling both versions several times, always with the same results.

PROBLEM #2 I guess I installed too many times because now there's a new problem, no matter which version is installed, MM won't launch after closing the program from the initial installation wizard. I've even deleted the ver3.2 .exe file and downloaded a fresh ver3.2 .exe file from the MM site. Whenever I try to launch MM I get this warning box "MediaMonkey.exe-unable to Locate Component" "-sqlite3MM.dll not found."
I don't want to totally uninstall everything because I don't want to lose the 'ratings' info for all the tracks, but maybe that's what I'm going to have to do.
rovingcowboy

Re: problems upgrading from ver3.1 to ver3.2

Post by rovingcowboy »

remove files in the monkey's program files folder. leave all folders in that folder. so you won't loose the skins the scripts the icons the data the local and the other folders. monkey won't mess with them on the install, he might import the database if you have an old sql database.?

now after you removed them files run your registry cleaner, if you don't have one go get the ccleaner slim from majorgeeks.com and run that. its good, but i like the RegScrubVistaXp program found on majorgeeks also.

but i use both of them so it won't hurt to get both.
but clean your system and then take that new copy of the mm 3.2 install and run it.

it will install like normal and replace the files you removed.

DON'T let it launch monkey after the install. monkey does not require you to reboot. but windows will be picky and make you if you have not done so after so many installs of programs, or updates. so reboot system and then try mediamonkey.
let us know what happened.
:)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
gds

Post by gds »

Still won't launch. The folder containing my personal settings is safely stored away for when needed.
The MM program has been totally uninstalled, the registry has been cleaned with CCleaner, computer rebooted, MM reinstalled, computer rebooted again, still no joy, still same message.
I have gone thru the above process with ver3.2 twice and once again with ver3.1. Ver3.1 worked flawlessly for over a month.
Guess I'll try it a few more times.
I know the "sqlite3mm.dll" is in the program folder, I can see it in there.
Oh, thanks for your help so far. Surely (don't call me Shirley) I'll get this working sometime. Next step...throw computer in trash and start all over.
gds

Post by gds »

PROBLEM FIXED!!!
I decided to give it one more try before going to bed.
I had been installing MM into Drive D (which is where I install all my programs, even the original MM ver3.1) instead of Drive C. Well, this time I thought I'd let it install into the default Drive C and see what happens. It worked!!!
I don't know if changing the installation location had anything to do with it not launching before, but I don't care right now, it's working. And so far no "popping" between tracks and no random degradation of sound.
....And... so far, most personal settings (such as 'ratings') are already active, I didn't have to use any of the old folders.
.....Guess I won't throw this computer away..... yet.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

you put it on drive D ?

why would you do that for a program that is pulling data from other drives.
the program info has to be pulled along with the other info both going to c drive through the gray cables.

i've never put programs like music, video, players or editors on other drives then drive C they need closer to the main windows folder to get the parts of the files faster that they use from windows.

now things that don't need close to windows i put on the other drives like games or other small programs but the big ones always go on drive c. the swap file i have on its own 6 gb hd in the win98. but on this xp it allows to put swap files on all the drives so i do.

but monkey the only thing it does with other drives is pull the music from them.
i'll make it a formal suggestion. for you and anyone else that might be doing the same as you.

do this.
  • put all major programs on drive c with windows or other operating systems.
    put all data used by media players on other hard drives.
    put your saved data, as in documents and other work stuff in folder on other drives then C drive.
    use C drive only for updates to the os. and major programs on c drive.
    use if you have it a smaller hard drive for the swap file and temp folders so you download all temp
    stuff to a big empty hard drive and have room to work with the temps that way.
thats what i do and have done for the last 10 years. :)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
gds

Post by gds »

My system contains 2 hard drives separated into a total of 7 partitions:

Disk 0 (150GB): C (windows XP)50GB .... D(programs)50GB .... P (pictures)50GB ..... O (personal files)2.5GB

Disk 1 (375GB): Z(swap file, temp)5.5GB .... V (video)135GB ..... M (music)235GB

7yrs ago my OS crashed and I lost everything because everything was on Drive (partition) C. While setting up my new system I thought that if I installed programs to a different partition, then if my OS crashed, all my programs would still be readily available. I never understood how the computer looks for info on the hard drives, but I figured having a separate file (partition) for each main category would make it easier and faster for the computer to find anything.

It's been about 7yrs since my last computer overhaul and I'm in the process of reviewing replacement parts that will hopefully be on sale for Black Friday. My last overhaul was so that I could play the original Call Of Duty with an AMD Athlon (can't remember which model number, but it runs at 1.1Ghz), Biostar M7NCD mobo, ATI 9200 SE graphics card, and 512MB DDR memory.
Now I'm building for the latest Call Of Duty with (hopefully) AMD Phenom II X3 720, GA-MA790GPT-UD3H (AM3, DDR3) mobo, ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card. I am not a gamer (the last games that I bought and played were the original Call Of Duty and Dragonslayer), just wanting a good, up-to-date system.

*** Almost forgot to mention the sound card. I've always used the M Audio Sonica USB exterior sound card that takes the digital signal straight to my:
Onkyo TX-SR706 A/V receiver. ATI AT1506 Amp. (3) AudioControl EQ's for all speakers/subs. JBL Studio S312 II BE speakers. (1)10" HSU sub. (1)15" homemade sub. Panasonic DMP BD35 Blu Ray player. Pioneer SD-533HD HDTV CRT rear projection tv.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

sounds like your got it figured out almost like i do it. only you use one drive and partitions.

i did that for about a month. but very quickly started with the different hard drives and raid cards.
found the different partions made more work for the hd then the multiple hd's and the hd's only run up
the speed when they are being used. they been that way for over 10 yrs. the original c drive on the 98 is now the swap file drive it started messing up with that partition stuff, so i added newer drives fast. just last yr i switched the cdrive to another drive again with out formating the 98, just put it on by hd copy. i did that cause i got a bigger hd for the data so i switched the small hd 13 gbs to the new c drive and added the new 40 gb drive in to the system now i got more room for songs.
which are the only things on the other hard drives in that system. :)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Being closer to Windows doesn't improve programs speed. Being on another drive (Physical) could as now it reads data from 2 drives (and with SATA that doesn't matter anymore).
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Lowlander wrote:Being closer to Windows doesn't improve programs speed. Being on another drive (Physical) could as now it reads data from 2 drives (and with SATA that doesn't matter anymore).
yep but he was using one drive sliced up in to multiple areas and calling them different drives.
that can slow up programs a little because the drive arm is trying to read both areas at one time.
its like playing song one and song four on the old albums the arm has to play both and that means
going back and foruth which makes the sound and song's really slow and messed up.

but using different drives is better cause each drive is contacted by the cpu via its own gray cable. its arm only reads that drive.

and being close to windows does not really make it faster but it does allow the cpu to get the data for the program faster then if it ran down the gray cable with the data the program was to be getting to use and or play. doing that is like trying to squeeze the lime in to the class the same time you are picking the lime from the tree? not too easy.

i found also a long time ago some programs will not work unless they are on the same drive as the os. some will when on other drives but lots want to be with the os. or lots did when i found that out, if they have been programmed to not care what drive they are on now i don't know. i just keep on the same way i found worked.
8)