MM doesn't access Freedb

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

SeteCordas

MM doesn't access Freedb

Post by SeteCordas »

Hi all,

Yeah, that's the problem.

It says: "Socket error # 11001 - Host not found."

Also tried [http://www.gracenote.com], to no avail, either.

Sorry if that's already mentioned elsewhere, but after some research and an answer not coming up, I just gave up and decided to post a topic anyway.

My MM version is 3.0.3.1183.
I'm using Kerio Personal Firewall, on a XP working perfectly.
NOT behind another Firewall (MS's off), or linked to a router or even using a proxy.

I could list here *everything*, but maybe it'll be a waste of our time, 'cause I'm betting it's just some simple adjust/option somebody would come up with, and everything will get back to normal afterwards. :-)

So, in case anyone have any questions & data request in order to help, I'm here to provide.

Cheers!

SeteCordas
Lowlander

Re: MM doesn't access Freedb

Post by Lowlander »

Make sure the firewall allows MediaMonkey to access the internet and that you didn't set the wrong settings for Proxy in the MediaMonkey options.

Also see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... edb#p69276 for ideas.
SeteCordas

Still...

Post by SeteCordas »

Thanks, Lowlander, but it doesn't work either.

BTW, I said I didn't use any Proxy here, so, it doesn't apply.

I might add that it did work once, and suddenly, *with the exact same settings as before*, it stopped to communicate with Freedb at all, returning the same "Socket error # 11001 - Host not found."

And judging by the [strong sarcasm] "prompt answer" [/strong sarcasm] that issue back in 2004 got, I'm just considering to throw this MM in the lametware basket and go on with my life.

Also: is there any place here where I could somehow find an "Error's list"? It's not in the FAQ's, where it should be, so, where to find it?

I mean, it's ridiculous that a Software is full of Codes for Errors which ultimately are NOT provided in the Help, isn't it? Hell, how dumb is that?

Why to conceal it from its customers?
Why all the mystery about it?

Well, that's the end of my rant.

Annoyedly yours,

SeteCordas
Lowlander

Re: Still...

Post by Lowlander »

SeteCordas wrote:BTW, I said I didn't use any Proxy here, so, it doesn't apply.
Which is why I asked that you didn't inadvertently changed it's settings.

Anyway it seems that this issue is caused by the DNS failing to resolve the URL into an IP. This is not an issue caused by MediaMonkey nor is it a MediaMonkey error code. Going by Google there seems to be no easy answer to this issue, but causes could be a virus, security software or filter software somewhere along your internet connection.

Security software can be tested by turning all security software off and then try to connect to FreeDB. It's up to you if you're willing to do so for testing purposes.
Filter software (not on your PC) can be tested by moving to a different network, which if you have a desktop might not be feasible.
A virus requires thorough scanning of machine.
Wav3481

Post by Wav3481 »

I found no answer online or in MM forums,so,I tried this:My solution when I suddenly encountered this socket error,was to open Audiograbber,and the Db for my audio cd showed up,then I refreshed MediaMonkey and the Db was properly populated.I tend to have Db issues with old CD`s,particularly soundtracks that are rare,so,I use other programs for my audio needs.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Audiograbber is one of few apps that have license (long time obtained) to use CDDB v1.1 (now gracenote) without limitations so when you load CD in Audio grabber and retrieve info it is saved in cdplayer.ini which MMW pickup and import on refresh.

I used it before MMW and even I have paid for it while it was not free due the AudioCatalyst.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts