include folders in device synchronization

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

sn0skier

include folders in device synchronization

Post by sn0skier »

The name of the topic isn't very good, but here is what I want. When you go to "configure device" and then to the "auto-sync options" tab there is an option that says "Delete tracks that aren't on the auto-sync list from the device." clicking this opens up another option that says "exclude folders:" but I don't want to enter every folder that isn't music that's on my phone in this section. Instead there should be an option that says "only include folders:" and then I would put e:\music, and I wouldn't have to worry about it deleting all of my other data.
last.fm signatures don't work anymore, which is sad. Any easy replacement?
Eyal

Re: include folders in device synchronization

Post by Eyal »

I'm pretty sure that the "exclude folders" to delete works only on the music folder,
so it means music sub-folders you don't want to be deleted.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
sn0skier

Post by sn0skier »

How sure are you of this? I don't think that is the case
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

Well, I do have "Delete tracks that aren't on the auto-sync list from the device" checked, and nothing in "Exclude Folders".
When auto-synchronizing to my Sansa Fuze, it deletes music and playlists, but not my photos and videos.
sn0skier

Post by sn0skier »

hmm, I've listed a bunch of folders to exclude, and it is still bring back a few files that it tries to delete from other folders, but maybe if I don't include any folders to exclude then it won't have this problem. I'll give it a try but I swear I did before and it didn't work.
Iananan

Post by Iananan »

I have the exact same problem, and an "include only these folders" option would solve it so elegantly, i have just spent the last half hour trying to get it NOT to delete all of my podcasts (which i get with an in-phone podcatcher) and ringtones (which are stored on my SD card as well) and literally no formatting works.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Eyal wrote:Well, I do have "Delete tracks that aren't on the auto-sync list from the device" checked, and nothing in "Exclude Folders".
When auto-synchronizing to my Sansa Fuze, it deletes music and playlists, but not my photos and videos.
Eyal, I do believe "Delete tracks" operates only on Auto-conversion's "Supported formats on device", despite the location of the latter.
Chris
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> Instead there should be an option that says "only include folders:" and then I would put e:\music,

I'd prefer

[X] Delete Tracks that aren't on the Auto-Sync list from the device
[X] only in Main Directory: <...>

since this would continue to work if the Device Configuration Main Directory was changed.
Chris
sn0skier

Post by sn0skier »

Yeah chris is right, any supported formats are included, it doesn't matter what folder they were in. So the option to limit deleting tracks to a specific folder would be nice. Much better then listing specific folders NOT to delete from.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

chrisjj wrote:Eyal, I do believe "Delete tracks" operates only on Auto-conversion's "Supported formats on device", despite the location of the latter.
Yes it's possible.

sn0skier wrote:Yeah chris is right, any supported formats are included, it doesn't matter what folder they were in. So the option to limit deleting tracks to a specific folder would be nice. Much better then listing specific folders NOT to delete from.
It's not really logical, because we use MM to synchronize music only. If it deletes all supported formats, you might delete your video/other extentions from the list of supported formats. Since they are not used by MM, it wont delete them any more.
sn0skier

Post by sn0skier »

so are you agreeing that we need a "only delete from these folders" option, or are you suggesting an alternate fix, or what? I am confused.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

sn0skier wrote:so are you agreeing that we need a "only delete from these folders" option, or are you suggesting an alternate fix, or what? I am confused.
No, I don't. I think we must keep things simple instead of provide a bunch of "include/exclude" options that will only confuse users.
MM is dealing with music-only files so Isn't it logical to delete only music files?

Maybe the [Delete tracks that aren't on the auto-sync list from the device] only works well only on MTP devices?
Anybody can confirm?
sn0skier

Post by sn0skier »

Eyal wrote: No, I don't. I think we must keep things simple instead of provide a bunch of "include/exclude" options that will only confuse users.
MM is dealing with music-only files so Isn't it logical to delete only music files?

Maybe the [Delete tracks that aren't on the auto-sync list from the device] only works well only on MTP devices?
Anybody can confirm?
Well there already is an exclude folders option, and I don't think it's confusing to anyone. And I don't think an option that only includes the folders that you sync our music to would be confusing either. In fact I think it is more confusing for MM to delete files in folders that have nothing to do with the music folder. I also think if you leave it the way it is you are going to have some android users that are very confused as to why all of their custom MP3 ringtones get deleted every time they sync their phone. Can you explain to me why their is an "exclude folders option" if it is so confusing, if it is not designed to overcome this problem?

Also, the [Delete tracks that aren't on the auto-sync list from the device] works on every device that I have synced, it just has the problem that it also wants to delete files that aren't in the music folder.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Well said.
Chris
Peke

Post by Peke »

Re Delete: That is why exclude list exist.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts