MediaMonkey in conflict with my boadband modem

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Sugar Conny

MediaMonkey in conflict with my boadband modem

Post by Sugar Conny »

I am a newbie when it comes to those kinds of forums, but I'll try to be as clear as I can.

I use a USB Huawei (model E220) 3G boadband modem with my laptop.

The modem shows up under "my computer" as an external drive - don't ask me my, but it does. There is a MB flash memory built in to the modem for storing text messages I belive, but still no reason to let it show up as an external memory. Nobody would use it as such.

When I start MM beta 3 or the RC1 my internet connection stops working. Looking like an external drive, the modem shows up and dissappears again and again in the filetree inside of MM . Now and then the computer opens the modems 6 MB extenal drive in a new window. To me, it seems like some kind of conflict is going on.

This does not happen when I use MM 2.5.
Sugar Conny

Forgot to tell you...

Post by Sugar Conny »

I forgot to tell you:

Acer TravelMate 2300
XP Servic Pack 2
Cowon D2 mp3-player in both MTP and MSC modes (MTP for playlists)
8GB Twinmos and Transcend SDHC-cards with the D2

Please ask me if there is anything else you need to know, after all, I am a newbie!
Peke

Post by Peke »

It looks that this become common practice for manufacturers to make CD-Rom Emulation where they store Connection APP and Drivers for Device.

Ok here what we found on similar devices and it worked:
1. Create Folder on your HDD for backup of your devices
2. Copy all files from Device to Backup Folder
3. Write down what drive letter Device uses
4a. MediaMonkey 2.x go to My documents\My Music\Mediamonkey and load MediaMonkey.ini. Locate IgnoreDriveLetters=AB and Add written Drive letter. Save INI and Restart MM it should be fixed
4b. MediaMonkey 3.x go to <user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Mediamonkey and load MediaMonkey.ini. Locate IgnoreDriveLetters=AB and Add written Drive letter. Save INI and Restart MM it should be fixed

If that do not Fix The problem try this (Wiondows XP):
Note: You will need to have Administrative privileges to do this.

1. Right Click On My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> DVD/CD-ROM devices and Disable Huawei CD-Rom (Right Click -> Disable).
2. Device should be normally started from backup folder and all should work without problems

Can you please report What exactly worked on your exact deviceas we haven't got that exact device on test.

FYI. MediaMonkey need to access device to read TOC (Table Of Content), Serial (For FreeDB and Compare it with library to make entry Available), CD-Text if CD is not in library.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Sugar Conny

A couple of more questions and THANK YOU

Post by Sugar Conny »

Peke, thank you for yor time.

I'm not an expert in those fields, but I'm eager to learn.

I don't know how to back up the files from the device, there are none to be found in explorer. I can see the file-tree in the device through the MediaMonkey-window, but when I try to open the modem under "my computer" in explorer (to copy all of it) it appears to be empty.

Is it safe to change the INI-file anyway?

However, disabeling it in the device maneger worked fine, just as you told me. Thank you. I disabled the "Huawei mass storege USB device" and shut my internet connecion down and disconnected the modem, before I reconnected it. It seemed to need a little more time to start up now (as it SEEMS), but I'm glad it works. Thank you.

The text on the modem says "Huawei Model: E220 HSDPA USB MODEM" The modem is very common in Sweden since this modem is given away for free in a national campaign from one of the biggest mobile-phone operators in sweden. I belive I'm not the only one with this problem.

The modem has never conflicted at all with MM 2.5.5.998, wich I find strange. So there shold be a way to make this work better i MM 3 final.

Thank you for your help. I will gladly try your other method and tell you the outcome if you can confirm it is safe.

One more thing - the INI-file can be edited in any text-editor, right? Or do I confuse things?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Yap, you didn't confused anything INI can be Edited from any Text Editor.

You only need to copy from "Huawei mass storege USB device" using your Windows Explorer to For Example C:\HuaweiTools (Create it if non existing)
Most likely that App which your computer starts for faster login is ?:\PhoneConnector\VMC.exe and if you start it manually from C:\HuaweiTools\PhoneConnector\VMC.exe it should give you same speed.
Best regards,
Peke

Post by Guest »

Hello Peke!

I maneged to copy the files off of the device using Explorer. I don't know why I could not find them the first time i checked. I must have done something differently the second time around.

Strange enogh: changeing the INI file did not work. MediaMonkey 3 conflicted with my modem anyway. I'm sure I wrote the right letter.

One should really consider this issue and possible solutions for it before releasing the final version of MM3. As I said, it's a very common modem. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.

I'm happy however, I can always switch the "external drive" of the modem off in the device manager, as you told me.

Thank you again!
steve0

Post by steve0 »

Good info ! Thank you !
bianca

Re: MediaMonkey in conflict with my boadband modem

Post by bianca »

post deleted.
Last edited by bianca on Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peke

Post by Peke »

From what you write your Modem Needs DHCP server to assign LAN IP address which it gets from an router (routers are made for that purpose) and/or you need to check IP address of Modem and set you LAN settings according to that IP address as gateway. The best thing is that you find someone that knows how to manually set LAN Parameters when Modem is plugged directly to PC. It is not anyhow related to MediaMonkey.
Best regards,
Peke
eleanori

Post by eleanori »

My modem works in conjunction with router, but not when plugged into the Computer? When I connect my PC through a Modem and into the router the internet works, when I connect directly it does not. The ISP uses a static IP, and yes I have it configured correctly on the computer, ive checked a thousand times. Ive also tried another router, and it also worked. I have tried both crossover and regular cables, and I know it has nothing to do with the MAC address because when I change that on the router it still works. And yes I have tried resetting the modem by unplugging and re plugging it back in. It seems as if the modem knows when being plugged into a router, the modem is quite old if that makes a difference. Is their some way to fool the modem into thinking my computer is a router, or anyway to reset the modem, Im not afraid to open things up. Please help.
Last edited by eleanori on Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Is it possible that you observe issue Described here http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=41
Best regards,
Peke
ragnarokkr

Post by ragnarokkr »

I have the same problem and found a very simple solution to it.
You just have to use this algorithm:
1. connect the device trough USB port.
2. if you have started Mobile Connect application, turn it off (MobileConnect.exe not running)
3. now start Media Monkey
4. after all these 3 steps start Mobile Connect and connect to internet.

I dont know how, but it seems to work.. if I start Media Monkey when Mobile Connect app is still running, it just disconnects the drive Huawei is supposed to be on.
If you do the steps in the right order, you can listen to music and be connected to internet just like you wanted ;)

I use MM version 3.2.0.1294 and my OS is Windows 7.

Post by Guest »

I have had the same problem thanks for the help here. I did find that changing IgnoreDriveLetters=ABGH did not work on my Windows XP system.

Alan