Export to iTunes library.xml

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

nynaevelan

Re: Export to iTunes library.xml

Post by nynaevelan »

nynaevelan wrote:NH:

Nope, guess I skipped over that one. Thanks I will just have to accept whatever I find will not have any playcounts. Now off to search to see if it will import the playcounts from the player. Thanks.

Nyn
I was able to get this script to work in WinAmp, it doesn't work for my playlists but that is not a major problem since I needed it for the playcounts. Thanks for this, now I can use WinAmp to sync my Zen and with only a little intervention from me. :D :D Now off to import my playlists. Although it would be nice if the user was able to select where to save the export file.

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Is there a way to get this to save the xml file to a location of the user's choice?

Nyn

DC

Post by DC »

nynaevelan wrote:Is there a way to get this to save the xml file to a location of the user's choice?
Ok, since you asked twice (and it was easy to do ;-) I added this small feature. You will find the updated script on the first page of this thread. It has a new option QUERY_FOLDER in the beginning. Set this to true and a browse-folder dialog will pop up when you select the menu item. This is how the options area looks like now:

Code: Select all

' Customize options below; then (re)start MM.
const ENABLE_TIMER = true ' change to false to prevent automatic exporting once per hour
const QUERY_FOLDER = false ' set tp true to be asked each time where to save the iTunes xml file

' End of options.
Just to be clear: ENABLE_TIMER should be set to false then because otherwise the browse dialog appears once every hour.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

DC wrote:
nynaevelan wrote:Is there a way to get this to save the xml file to a location of the user's choice?
Ok, since you asked twice (and it was easy to do ;-) I added this small feature. You will find the updated script on the first page of this thread. It has a new option QUERY_FOLDER in the beginning. Set this to true and a browse-folder dialog will pop up when you select the menu item. This is how the options area looks like now:

Code: Select all

' Customize options below; then (re)start MM.
const ENABLE_TIMER = true ' change to false to prevent automatic exporting once per hour
const QUERY_FOLDER = false ' set tp true to be asked each time where to save the iTunes xml file

' End of options.
Just to be clear: ENABLE_TIMER should be set to false then because otherwise the browse dialog appears once every hour.

Thank you, it works perfectly. I use this script on a weekly basis to update the Winamp library. Which gives me a program to listen to my music while I am beta testing in my MM library.

Are you familiar with the WMP library, could you do something similar with that as requested here.

Nyn

DC

Post by DC »

nynaevelan wrote:Thank you, it works perfectly. I use this script on a weekly basis to update the Winamp library. Which gives me a program to listen to my music while I am beta testing in my MM library.

Are you familiar with the WMP library, could you do something similar with that as requested here.
WMP as in Windows Media Player? I try to stay away from it, so far with great success. There is no such thing as a free meal, especially when it comes from Microsoft. The Winamp library I have not used either (why would I when MM has a library and can even use Winamp as a player if necessary).
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

True but we are converting others as fast as we can. :wink: But unfortunately other programs offer conversion tools for either WMP or iTunes so those methods are needed when you want to use your MM library data outside of MM.

nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

i'll leave you alone for now but here is some food for thought: The possibility to select whether to export tracks and/or playlists...

Nyn

Tylast

Post by Tylast »

Songbird is giving me an error when trying to import the XML file. Songbird looks like it wants an .itl file. Can you export to that type?
DC

Post by DC »

Tylast wrote:Songbird is giving me an error when trying to import the XML file. Songbird looks like it wants an .itl file. Can you export to that type?
Maybe, but I don't know the first thing about .itl. I don't even have iTunes installed. I am afraid I got no motivation to export to it, it's of no use to me. Sorry...
Tylast

Post by Tylast »

I just found this: iTunes Library Updater. Perhaps it will work for me. It's taking a really long time to run at the moment though.
Tylast

Post by Tylast »

Correction! Songbird only accepts the XML file. I cleaned it with app in the previous post...Songbird imported it, but none of the ratings, play count, & date added info were there. Any idea?
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

I thought I would give Songbird a try to see what all the hubbub was about and of course I wanted to take my library along for the ride since it has a feature to import the itunes xml, but like iTunes Songbird also has trouble importing the tracks with special characters such as Tonéx, Beyoncé, Tony Toni Tone: Who?. I have tried to change the tag to the ASCII format but it doesn't make a difference. Is there any way to get these to export correctly so they can import into other programs? Winamp doesn't seem to have a problem with them but that is the only program I have found that works 100%.

Nyn

misplacedamerican

Post by misplacedamerican »

Hello,

I am using this script for it's original purpose (importing into Squeezebox) however the path created by the script is "file://localhost///192.168.1.74/" when it needs to be "file://localhost/READYNAS-PRO/" I actually think that the issue is the 2 additional "/" in the xml file and not the ipaddress vs. the server name.

Is there a place in the script that I can fix this? I know a wee bit about scripting but couldn't find anything that looked remotely obvious

Please help,

Buddy
Tylast

Post by Tylast »

My most recent export of my entire library worked. The issues I see are that only 5% of my library's ratings & play count ported over & none of the last played data. Also, the date added was either the last time I did the export or today when I did it again.

Any ideas?
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Tylast wrote:My most recent export of my entire library worked. The issues I see are that only 5% of my library's ratings & play count ported over & none of the last played data. Also, the date added was either the last time I did the export or today when I did it again.

Any ideas?
It is my understanding that the script does not export the last played data and the playcounts are only updated for tracks which are not in iTunes. You either need to remove the tracks from itunes in order for them to be updated or start a new library.