playback issue

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

reg mombassa

playback issue

Post by reg mombassa »

hi there,

i have two problems with playing songs through mm:

1. with *some* songs, i can't hear any singing at all, just muffled music - these play perfectly in other players
2. with *some* songs, the music sounds quite saturated - these too, sound perfectly alright in other players.

does anybody have any suggestions ?

tia
rusty

playback issue

Post by rusty »

tia, sounds kinda strange. Could you please mail me samples of 2 of the tracks that fall into each category you've described? (only if the tracks are less than 4 MB each).

My guess is that you may have accidentally activated the Defx DSP plug-in, but I'd like to listen to the tracks myself and verify.

thx.
reg mombassa

Post by reg mombassa »

hi rusty.

i'll send the songs by email now...

btw: defx isn't enabled in the plug-in list.

tia

reg
rusty

Audio distortions for some files with MAD plugin

Post by rusty »

I tried the files you sent--quite bizzare--when using the MAD plug-in, frank sinatra sounds like some kind of space alien.

I then tried using MediaMonkey's in_dspmp3.dll plugin and Winamp's in_mp3.dll plugin (instead of in_mad.dll) and found that it plays the file just fine.

My guess is that the file isn't formatted properly or is slightly corrupted and that MAD isn't quite as forgiving as Winamp's default plug-in.

Any idea what was used to encode the files?
reg mombassa

re: audio distortion

Post by reg mombassa »

i'm sorry, i have no idea how the frank sinatra one was encoded. the barenaked ladies' song was encoded from the original cd of mine using 'cdextract'. but yes, they do sound quite peculiar don't they ?!!

i'll go and look for a thread that tells me how i can change plugins now, and use the ones that you mentioned, instead of the 'mad' one.

additionally, once i've done that, i'll check to see whether i continue to have the 'saturated' sound issue with some of my songs too. if changing plugins solves that problem, then i won't need to trouble you with it further.

thanks for your help :)
rusty

plug-in configuration

Post by rusty »

fyi, the online help has has entry on 'plug-in configuration'.

Generally there's nothing to configure, though--in this case all you have to do is copy the desired plug-in to the /Program Files/MediaMonkey/Plugins directory and rename in_mad.dll to something like in_mad.dll.off (just in case you decide you want it later on).

-Rusty
reg mombassa

plugin configuration

Post by reg mombassa »

well that could hardly be easier, thank you !

you mentioned both the mm and winamp plugins - would you recommend one in preference to the other ?