iPod eject/charging issue

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

mjs93

iPod eject/charging issue

Post by mjs93 »

Using MM 2.4, the official build, and it works very well on my iPod mini, 2nd generation.

The thing is that Apple started selling the 2nd generation without an adapter, so you can only charge via USB. In iTunes, when you're done syncing and whatnot, there's an icon for you to "eject" the iPod, so it disappears off the iTunes source list but is still connected to your computer. This way, it still charges, but it's not really being in use and the "Do Not Disconnect" message is not flashing. (It flashes when you are using it in iTunes before it is ejected.)

With MM, I can't find an eject button, and the only way to disconnect is to completely remove it from your comp. But when I do that it doesn't charge. I would just leave it connected with the "Do Not Disconnect" screen flashing on my iPod to charge, but I read that it wears down the iPod's interior, and it's best to have it disconnected but still getting charge from your USB... So I don't know what to do, any advice on this? Will an eject button for the iPod be in future MM releases?

I really hope my post made sense!
FurAnt

Post by FurAnt »

In MediaMonkey's iPod menu (The toolbar icon) there's an option to safely remove device. That basically performs the eject. Alternatively, you could also open a Windows Explorer windon, right click on the iPod drive letter and select eject.

Let me know if that does the trick.

Joey
mjs93

Post by mjs93 »

Hi Joey, thanks for your quick response. :)

I know about the MM option to safely remove the device, but that does more than eject it, it completely disconnects the iPod from your computer so that the iPod cannot charge. I didn't even know there was a difference, but there is, ejecting unmounts it but removing the device totally breaks the link between PC and iPod - I was looking for the former option as MM only has the latter.

All I wanted was to eject it, not completely disconnect it, and your windows explorer right-click option worked like gold. Thank you!
abrazor

Post by abrazor »

I had the same situation of wanting to eject but not disconnect so it would keep charging. You are right, right click on explorer works, but it would be great if MM could do that. It would be even better if there were an eject buttton instead of going through a menu.
FurAnt

Post by FurAnt »

mjs93 wrote:Hi Joey, thanks for your quick response. :)

I know about the MM option to safely remove the device, but that does more than eject it, it completely disconnects the iPod from your computer so that the iPod cannot charge. I didn't even know there was a difference, but there is, ejecting unmounts it but removing the device totally breaks the link between PC and iPod - I was looking for the former option as MM only has the latter.

All I wanted was to eject it, not completely disconnect it, and your windows explorer right-click option worked like gold. Thank you!
Cool. I didn't know that those two actually did different things. I guess I learn something new every year :D