iPhone Users - Beware of iMonkey

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Monk

iPhone Users - Beware of iMonkey

Post by Monk »

I was on the melloware site and was treated to some disturbing information. If you are considering purchasing the iMonkey app from the iTunes store to remotely control Media Mokey please read:
http://forum.melloware.com/viewtopic.ph ... 600#p11600
Reading this saved me $6.00.

MM developers - You may want to investigate who you are indirectly being associated with. You guys need protect your good reputation and watch your associations, no matter how indirect. He is still using your logos and good name.

If you guys at MM ever decide to come out with a native iPhone app of your own, please put me down to give you my $6.00.

Thanks.
nohitter151

Re: iPhone Users - Beware of iMonkey

Post by nohitter151 »

Hi Monk,

I read your post at the Melloware forum and it is really unfair. You took a number of quotes out of context and made some invalid claims especially considering you never even once asked for any support regarding the application (or even tried to use it as I understand).

As a member of the MediaMonkey tech. support team, I will personally vouch that the App has worked brilliantly since I first installed it all of the issues with the application that I brought to Melloware were resolved extremely quickly.

To anyone else reading this, take Monk's post with a grain of salt. He has never even installed the application. :roll:
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Melloware

Post by Melloware »

Monk,

It is a shame you decided to flame me and ask the MM developers to blacklist me for an application you have not even bothered to try? I would think the MM developers would be ashamed to have a user like you rather than a developer like me. I see you have a grand total of 3 posts on these MM forums while NoHitter has 7000+ posts. Hmmm....let's see who's opinion the MM community might listen to.

If you have bothered to read any of my threads you will see I fully support my app and have satisfied the MM community and filled a void. Not only that feel free to search my posts here on the MM forums where I have been more than helpful answering other developers questions about MM COM Objects and other subjects.

Please save your $6.00....I certainly don't want it. It's just a shame you decided to take the the troll/flamer stance without even trying the application. Hopefully the MM user community will see you as the flamer/troll that you are.

I invite the entire MM community to view any of the iMonkey threads and see that I bend over backwards to help people out....

http://forum.melloware.com/viewforum.php?f=10
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
MonkeyTunes - DACP Server for MediaMonkey
Intelliremote - Take Back Control of your HTPC!
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

I have had no problems running iMonkey on my iTouch.
I think Monk is being unfair and blinkered to the difficulties of dealing with Apple or any large corporation when they have the deck so stacked in their favour.
I am very happy with my decision to buy iMonkey and fully support Melloware regardless of where this app goes from here, though of course I hope the issues are resolved and iMonkey continues to develop.
MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304 Gold Lifetime
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.33GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2tB Internal Storage, 2tB External Storage (USB & eSATA)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, FireFox v3.6.x, ThunderBird v3 x64, MailWasher Pro v6.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
Backups by Karens Replicator v3.5.12,
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

well i was going to tell monk that you were a member here melloware.

but since you posted i guess he knows that now.

monk on your thoughtfulness to tell us that you had some issues with the program. thank you.

on your some what rough posts about it well that can be understood when you have issues you will get mad. :-?

but next software you find that might be made for use with monkey to connect some other program.?
look around here first and see if the the author has in fact joined this forum and posted progress reports
on his software, that way you can see if you have a direct contact with the author. :)

which you do now know you have with melloware. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Monk918

Post by Monk918 »

All,

Yes, I have tried the software and I personally found it to be very buggy. If you'd like to compare iMonkey to iRemote, you will understand that iMonkey is nowhere near as polished or capable. Apple is not charging for their application, but melloware is. Yes, I can appreciate the little guy needing the funds to develop, and I fully support that. I went to Melloware's forum to find some answers to questions that other users had. What I was met with was derogatory comments about Apple and his customers. I also found reason to believe he was abandoning the project and was going to the 'competition' over at Google and Android. All signs pointed at this, as there were multiple comments and examples.

The letter that Apple sent Melloware, which he publicly posted, asked him to simply fix the bugs in his program. I don't know of a conscientious developer who wouldn't just appreciate the feedback. You can't test everything yourself. Why not just simply fix the issues in question and send the corrected version back? What Apple is doing is looking out for the consumer to ensure buggy half-developped software is not offered by their store. You'd think that Media Monkey would have the same concerns about quality level associated with their name.

I know of no business that will succeed by alienating it's customers and biting the hand that feeds it. I had a glimpse of the maturity level over at Melloware and I was made to feel nervous. Someone more concerned about ratings and nonsense instead of properly and competently selling software and supporting what they sell.

If no one appreciates my comments, I will accept that. I fully support Media Monkey and I was simply horrified to read what I had read, and I felt it was my duty to share. Yes, by all means, take my comments with a grain of salt. Come to your own conclusions. I have just been hit too many times by software developers promissing something, not delivering, refusing to offer support, and making off with my hard earned money.

I stand to ground with my original concerns over at Melloware. I don't feel comfortable. Everything is within context. Your customers are your customers, no matter what particular application you may be discussing at the moment. You are making money from them and also from Apple, who gives you a fantastic global platform to market your wares. If that is met with beligerance and derogatory comments about the people who have thus far supported you, I have very little respect for you, sir. No one appreciates being called a "moron", least of all someone who has just given you money. I personally don't care if it is $.99, $6.00 or $100.00 - I deal with quality companies with quality products and quality service. That is my personal preference.

Take of this what you will. MM, if you find my comments to have no place on your forum, I am not adverse to you removing them. It is at your discretion. I assume this is why you have moderators.

Thank you.
Melloware

Post by Melloware »

I really didn't want to get into a flame war, but I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror if I didn't respond. I have tried to explain the situation as best I can point by point.
Monk918 wrote: Yes, I have tried the software and I personally found it to be very buggy.
Yet you still have not explained any of the problems you are having or tried anything to work with me to help you get your issues resolved have you? If you read my forums I have helped dozens of users work through the issues they are having. As you can see from other users both here and on other forums they are not having the issues you might be having. Every environment is different. Every Windows PC a Jungle. In fact, I have stated that I test my software thoroughly using MP3's on MM 3.0.4 on both Vista and XP and have no issues which is why I submit my software to Apple.
Monk918 wrote:If you'd like to compare iMonkey to iRemote, you will understand that iMonkey is nowhere near as polished or capable. Apple is not charging for their application, but melloware is.
Ummm, I won't insult you by calling you ignorant....but maybe you should think about that statement again.... Apple is not charging for their application??? How much was your iPod/iPhone 200-400$? How much were the songs you paid for through ITunes at 99 cents each?? How do you think Apple earns the money to pay their developers to give this software away for "free" It's like saying you bought the iPhone but the OS that runs it is "free".
Monk918 wrote: I went to Melloware's forum to find some answers to questions that other users had. What I was met with was derogatory comments about Apple and his customers.
My derogatory comments toward Apple stand. I submit a fully tested application. I wait 4 weeks and I get a rejection letter from Apple stating "we couldn't install MediaMonkey because we don't have a license". Well, MediaMonkey is completely available without a Gold License. No phone number, no contact name, no person at Apple to email to discuss the problems they are having. Just an anonymous rejection letter. I post those letters on my forums so my users have complete transparency as to the situation and how hard I am trying to submit updates to Apple. I have to RE-Submit my application to Apple....wait 4 more weeks to get another rejection letter from a different anonymous reviewer saying the following which you can read here. http://forum.melloware.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6701 This is a company taking 30% from every sale.

As you can tell from me and my 4 iMonkey BETA testers that this does not happen on our setups. So I want to work with Apple to resolve the problem...but once again they provide no contact info only a flat rejection and another 4 week turnaround time. This is the company you are defending? This is the company who you say and I quote: "May I suggest you suck it up and fix what apple has told you is wrong with your application?". So clearly you are a Mac Fanboy who can't believe Apple would treat developers this way and they can do no wrong. May I be correct in that assumption?
Monk918 wrote:I also found reason to believe he was abandoning the project and was going to the 'competition' over at Google and Android. All signs pointed at this, as there were multiple comments and examples.
Once again this is false statement. Those comments were posted on a DIFFERENT FORUM than iMonkey. Would you agree the word "customer" implies that they paid for something? So how can insult a customer if they have paid for nothing? You will find no evidence on any of my forums where I have insulted a customer who has paid for one of my products.
Monk918 wrote:The letter that Apple sent Melloware, which he publicly posted, asked him to simply fix the bugs in his program. I don't know of a conscientious developer who wouldn't just appreciate the feedback. You can't test everything yourself. Why not just simply fix the issues in question and send the corrected version back? What Apple is doing is looking out for the consumer to ensure buggy half-developed software is not offered by their store. You'd think that Media Monkey would have the same concerns about quality level associated with their name.
Once again see above. Apple is looking out for the consumer? By hiring college interns who couldn't even figure out how to install MediaMonkey in their Apple Lab to test on. This is what you call quality? I have begged borrowed and stolen to try and work with Apple. They are taking a 30% cut you think they would want to work with me to help get problems resolved. Of course I can test it myself and I have on multiple setups using multiple iPhone OS's. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't test the software before releasing it. But I can't debug a problem on another user's setup that is different than mine if they won't work with me to help me figure it out. I use MM 3.0.4 Gold and iPhone OS 2.2 and it works rock solid on my setup. I think you will see above that other MM users also don't have many issues with iMonkey.
Monk918 wrote:I know of no business that will succeed by alienating it's customers and biting the hand that feeds it. I had a glimpse of the maturity level over at Melloware and I was made to feel nervous. Someone more concerned about ratings and nonsense instead of properly and competently selling software and supporting what they sell.
Not only am I not alienating them....I created those forums to help solicit user feedback and bug reports. Feel free to peruse the forums for yourself and see how I work very hard to help users out. Some examples where i worked with a user to resolve an issue...

http://forum.melloware.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6465

http://forum.melloware.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6553

Monk918 wrote: I have just been hit too many times by software developers promising something, not delivering, refusing to offer support, and making off with my hard earned money.
Considering you still have not asked for any support or submitted any bugs how can you accuse me of "refusing to offer support" as you very clearly are quoted here. As for making off with your hard earned money...I am sorry you feel this way. Please ask Apple for a refund as they do not allow us developers to have direct contact with customers or offer refunds. That is Apple, you know the company you are clearly a fanboy for and is perfect in your eyes. I am sure they will resolve your refund quickly. Please post back after your request your refund from Apple and how the process went. I will be very interested to see how quickly they resolved your issue. Since Apple is perfect my guess is it should be less than 24 hours for your refund to be placed back in your account.
Monk918 wrote:Your customers are your customers, no matter what particular application you may be discussing at the moment. You are making money from them and also from Apple, who gives you a fantastic global platform to market your wares. If that is met with beligerance and derogatory comments about the people who have thus far supported you, I have very little respect for you, sir. No one appreciates being called a "moron", least of all someone who has just given you money.
Once again, I have not called any of my paying customers morons. For those of you that don't know what Monk is referring to it is this thread related to my software Intelliremote which is given away FREE on the Itunes AppStore. So they are not paying customers. They have not paid for anything.

And that angry post was based on the Rate On Delete feature Apple introduced in OS 2.2 that cause many developers and not just myself to rise up and revolt. Apple didn't think it all the way through, and they should be called a moron for that. It speaks to Apple's incompetence. They take 30% of the profit so if I want to call them out on a bad design decision that is my right. I am the one earning them 30% profit, they can hear my criticism. Many many developers are upset by Apple actions including many longtime Apple fanboys like yourself! PLEASE EVERYONE READ THE THREAD THAT MONK IS REFERRING TO HERE AND DECIDE FOR YOURSELF:

http://forum.melloware.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6584

After you have done reading through all that....I invite the MM community to decide for themselves who is the more credible one here.
Melloware Inc.
Peke

Post by Peke »

@Monk
No Comment, I wont even bother. Except I'm not surprised that iTunes Testers find MediaMonkey confusing.

@Melloware
:( So much time wasted from making new features and improving Server side and MM 3.1 will give you more power and control to work with.
Have you been able to get something from my code or you keep secrets? ;) 8) :roll: :wink: :)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
tinana

Post by tinana »

I've bought iMonkey and appreciate its utility. I've read Melloware's postings both here and in his forum and find him to be responsive and helpful. I'd like iMonkey to be further developed but realize at this point that that's beyond Melloware's control to a certain extent.

Monk918 appears to be overly sensitive when faced with criticism of Apple, to the point that this reeks of sockpuppetry.
MM Gold/Lifetime member
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

to be fair now.

apple techs might be talking about the lic for some other program like wine to run windows programs on their mac.
yes they are to allow windows programs run on their new os. and they might be having trouble with that.

also lets remember that apple is in business to make money, so they might be trying to make a better version of the imonkey, so they can get all the money for it. if they are doing that then they might also be trying to make their own mediamonkey knock off, by adding the features of mediamonkey in to their itunes program. so why would they want to make any software to connect to mediamonkey instead of theirs.

if none of the above is their reason then they are talking about the lic, for the gold version of mediamonkey.
and they don't want to buy it, but they want to test with it so they can cover all the code in mediamonkey
to make sure their is no other hidden errors. but they won't buy software from their competitors.

when thinking in those lines of thought you can see the reasons for the way they do things. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Here an interesting article from Ars Technica on the EFF asking for an exemption to allow jailbreaking of iPhones.
khaji00

Post by khaji00 »

i've tried and actually use the app often and it works fine on my iPod Touch.

Not sure what issues you're running into. Any issues i had were resolved very quickly on the melloware forums.
Melloware

Post by Melloware »

Apple has finally accepted iMonkey 1.2 and is pushing it to the AppStore in the next 24 hours! Thanks to everyone for their patience and bug reports and testing!

http://melloware.com/products/imonkey/

1.2 Release Notes
----------------------------------
- OS 2.2.1 required (compiled with OS 2.2.1 to work out all the weird quirks Apple introduced)
- Landscape Mode: Fixed white line that appeared in OS 2.2 and added Elapsed Time counter below song position bar
- Portrait Mode: Double tap album cover to Play/Pause instead of single click which annoyed many users
- Portrait Mode: Swipe right on album cover to go to the next song
- Portrait Mode: Swipe left on album cover to go to the previous song
- New Server EXE 1.2
- Fixed bug with UT8 Playlist names like like å, ä, ö or ü not working properly (thanks to andreas)
- Fixed memory leak in iPhone app not releasing playlists and songs (thanks to andreas)
- Fixed Apple UI design guideline by having a selection on the Playlist or Smartlist tab take you to the Now Playing screen
- Fixed bug in EXE breaking when ID3 Album Cover image was invalid (thanks to mjstrong)
- Fixed manifest in EXE not elevating to the correct permissions on Vista if possible (thanks to coloradomer)
Melloware Inc.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

con grats..!!! :D they also raised the price on all the songs there. and now allow other mp3 hand helds to buy there. sounds like jobs is out and now the second in command is putting a crack in the door. 8)
sn0skier

Post by sn0skier »

Monk918 wrote:I also found reason to believe he was abandoning the project and was going to the 'competition' over at Google and Android.
I wish I could find reason to believe this. Us android users would love to have such a dedicated programmer on the winning team.
last.fm signatures don't work anymore, which is sad. Any easy replacement?