Now Playing plugin for Mediamonkey Unicode

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

nathanzz

Now Playing plugin for Mediamonkey Unicode

Post by nathanzz »

Hello I don't know if this question has been asked but is anyone aware of a **working** Unicode supported now playing plugin for windows messenger etc. for Mediamokey?

thanks,
nathan
Lowlander

Re: Now Playing plugin for Mediamonkey Unicode

Post by Lowlander »

You might want to search the forum as there are many topics dedicated to a MSN/Windows Live messenger Now Playing plugin.
nathanzz

Post by nathanzz »

Lowlander wrote:You might want to search the forum as there are many topics dedicated to a MSN/Windows Live messenger Now Playing plugin.
I have looked on the forum and other sources extensively and tried a large number of now playing plugins none have worked. I am aware of 2 plugins with unicode support for WinAmp but they are not compatible with mediamonkey so I was thinking there could be on out there that I wasn't aware of if any can help me it'd be greatly appreciated
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

nathanzz wrote:
Lowlander wrote:You might want to search the forum as there are many topics dedicated to a MSN/Windows Live messenger Now Playing plugin.
I have looked on the forum and other sources extensively and tried a large number of now playing plugins none have worked. I am aware of 2 plugins with unicode support for WinAmp but they are not compatible with mediamonkey so I was thinking there could be on out there that I wasn't aware of if any can help me it'd be greatly appreciated
You may want to post here which plugins you have tried.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
nathanzz

Post by nathanzz »

http://www.myplugins.info/msn-messenger-plugin.php
gen_msn.dll v0.31 supports Unicode but doesn't quite work mediamonkey.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

Windows Live Messenger 8.5 + Messenger Plus! Live 4.70.334 + Now Playing 1.3.4 (Script)
Windows Live Messenger 2009 + Messenger Plus! Live 4.79.0.353 (BETA) + Now Playing 1.3.4 (Script)

The Now Playing script appears to work with Unicode (or rather, I copied a character from the list of Unicode characters on Wikipedia, placing it in a title, and it correctly showed it, so...). It also offers a few other interesting features, but it requires the Plus! extension. It "works" with Windows Live Messenger 2009, sorta. It will show it everywhere (the dashboard thing on the main window, in the conversations windows under your name, and the features to insert the information into the chat work), but it doesn't properly show on the contact list (showing only " - "), but the script author is working on a fix for 2009.

EDIT: Forgot too that Plus! is on the last leg of Beta Testing, as the official 4.80 release is expected by the end of the month.
nathanzz

Post by nathanzz »

Mizery_Made wrote:Windows Live Messenger 8.5 + Messenger Plus! Live 4.70.334 + Now Playing 1.3.4 (Script)
Windows Live Messenger 2009 + Messenger Plus! Live 4.79.0.353 (BETA) + Now Playing 1.3.4 (Script)

The Now Playing script appears to work with Unicode (or rather, I copied a character from the list of Unicode characters on Wikipedia, placing it in a title, and it correctly showed it, so...). It also offers a few other interesting features, but it requires the Plus! extension. It "works" with Windows Live Messenger 2009, sorta. It will show it everywhere (the dashboard thing on the main window, in the conversations windows under your name, and the features to insert the information into the chat work), but it doesn't properly show on the contact list (showing only " - "), but the script author is working on a fix for 2009.

EDIT: Forgot too that Plus! is on the last leg of Beta Testing, as the official 4.80 release is expected by the end of the month.
Thanks it worked perfectly!
coolyajets

Post by coolyajets »

Thanks for this, worked like dream :) Been trying to get something like this working for ages. I thought i might've run into some problems installing Plus! as my msn has been A-patched, but so far its all working normally ;) Cheers
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

I'm glad the two of you found what you're looking for in this script. I've been using it for some time now, even back before the script author implemented MediaMonkey support (it sorta worked when Winamp was selected, glad I finally bugged him enough to write up MediaMonkey support though). I used to use the other Gen_Plugins to accomplish this, but most simply show the information in the format "Title - Artist" which bothers me, so I finally ran across this script and haven't used anything else since.

EDIT: One drawback is if you close MediaMonkey while Messenger is still running, you'll get a prompt about closing the "COM" Something or other. Not that big of a deal, but just thought I would let you know.

Post by Guest »

Mizery_Made wrote:EDIT: One drawback is if you close MediaMonkey while Messenger is still running, you'll get a prompt about closing the "COM" Something or other. Not that big of a deal, but just thought I would let you know.
Yea its not a big deal this script its far better then any of the other plugins I was using thanks again.
Breydel

Post by Breydel »

Mizery_Made wrote:Windows Live Messenger 8.5 + Messenger Plus! Live 4.70.334 + Now Playing 1.3.4 (Script)

Hmm I'm trying this as well but so far haven't gotten it to work yet.
* I got Media Monkey 3.0.6
* Upgraded my Live Messenger from 8.5 to 2009
* Installed that v4.79 beta Plus! Live package
* Installed the Now Playing 1.3.4 script in Live Plus.

When I go to Live Plus Preferences & Options and then to scripts I can see that the Now Playing 1.3.4 script is running. I don't see any button to configure it though.

Am I missing something here? Or do I need to do something on the MM side as well?

<- newbie script / plugin user. :)

Post by Guest »

Breydel wrote:Hmm I'm trying this as well but so far haven't gotten it to work yet.
* I got Media Monkey 3.0.6
* Upgraded my Live Messenger from 8.5 to 2009
* Installed that v4.79 beta Plus! Live package
* Installed the Now Playing 1.3.4 script in Live Plus.

When I go to Live Plus Preferences & Options and then to scripts I can see that the Now Playing 1.3.4 script is running. I don't see any button to configure it though.

Am I missing something here? Or do I need to do something on the MM side as well?

<- newbie script / plugin user. :)
I might be able to help there is a little icon which kind of looks like blocks stacked on top of each other on the main toolbar of messenger same as where email, messenger plus features are at. If moused over says scripts click it go to Now Playing and configure. Although this is for 8.5 the icon I would assume looks the same or in the same general location. hope this helps.
Breydel

Post by Breydel »

Ok that helped a little but it's still not working. When I go to where you say I should look I got this :

Under Now Playing format :
NP: [if_artist]{artist} - [/if_artist]{title} [{elapsed}/{length}] [{bar}] {status}

(!WAT) format :
[if_artist]{artist} - [/if_artist]{title}

Main Player:
MediaMonkey (this was set to WinAmp, I changed it but still doesn't work)

Language:
English

Then when I go to tools > options > personal should I put on "Show song information from Windows Media Player as a personal message" or not? I tried both but it still didn't work.

Are you guys sure I don't need a plugin for MM as well? Or doesn't it work with MM v3.0.6? It seems to me everything is ready on the Live Messenger side but I got a feeling I need to do something on the MM side as well. :)

Another question, I think I read somewhere you can update your display picture with your album art as well. How do I do that?
tKm795

Post by tKm795 »

go to PSM->Update PM. hope this helps, it's what I did.(in the now playing configuration window)
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

You need to have "Show what I'm listening to" enabled, as well as the script correctly set up. As mentioned, in the script options, click the "PSM" tab and make sure that's checked off. Check under the "Display Picture" tab, that's where you can set it up to use the cover art as your Dispaly picture. I do believe though that it uses the "folder.jpg" from the folder the song is in to find the cover art, otherwise it searches... amazon?... for the cover.

Now if you're using WLM2009, then that could be where the problem is. A lot has changed in WLM2009, and one of the things that has changed has broken the scripts ability to update the PSM, so you're left seeing " - ". The script author has said he was working on a fix, but there's still no sign of another version from him. Another script has offered a work around, but it comes with it's flaws too.
For those wanting a quick fix for WLM9, change line 237 of main.js to:

Code: Select all

setNowPlaying(true, "Music", "{0} - {1}", player.CurrentTrack().Title, player.CurrentTrack().Artist);
Note that this doesn't allow for custom formatting and just displays the default following:

Title - Artist
You can switch "player.CurrentTrack().Title" & "player.CurrentTrack().Artist" around to get the "Artist - Title" display (which I prefer). However like mentioned, this is a set format, so you won't have "Now Playing: " or the Album or anything else in your PSM. Another downfall is the Playing/Paused/Stopped state doesn't work anymore and thus the PSM will display the song you have "playing" in MediaMonkey, even if you pause it for hours or even if you choose to stop it. *Shrugs*