Other skinning tutorials?

If you want to contribute MediaMonkey skins, themes, icons, etc...

Moderators: Morten, Gurus

Fraxav

Other skinning tutorials?

Post by Fraxav »

Hello everyone,
I searched this forum and it seems the only tutorials are the ones in the wiki.
I'm definitely trying to learn some skinning and, I must confess, these tutorials are (though certainly useful) somehow confusing to me. Rowingcowboy's one misses punctuation a lot (but I somehow reached the end of it), while Morten's tut. keeps refering to an image I cannot find and it looks like is missing some parts (e.g. the whole theme.mskn part).
So, is there any updated version? Or do you know any other tutorial that helped you and could help me too?
I'd like to say that I REALLY thank you people for the effort of writing a tutorial on such an hard subject, but I'm not that newby and still I cannot understand it all.
Of course, you could say I'm a bit stupid :wink: .
Thank for your welcome tips...
I don't have no time for no MediaMonkey buisness...

Fraxav uses a Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on an Acer Aspire 5670 laptop with an Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66 GHz) processor, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 512 MB, 100 GB Hard Disc and 1 GB DDR2 Ram.
nohitter151

Re: Other skinning tutorials?

Post by nohitter151 »

While a skinning tutorial seems like a nice idea, I'm really not sure how helpful it would really be. I think that the easiest way is to just start playing with the Theme engine and see what changes when you make changes. Its better to learn by doing, in my opinion.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

no man your not stupid,

i get too layed back and lax in my typing, its just the way i talk and i don't say coma and period at the end of my talking, :wink: 8)

i thought i did a new copy of it with the correction for typos in it? maybe its around here and forgotten to upload it?
but in short all my fast newbies one is saying to do.

is use the way of what nohitter151 suggested to do.
and mess with a skin to over lay images with ones you want,
making a skin the same size as the one you started with,
but that looks totaly different since you made new images.

the lesson only tells you how to change the theme. if you want some more info on changing player mskns.
i put some of that in the one for converting a mm 2 skin to a mm 3 skin.

hey i see your in italy thats where macmaster is at check his site for his skins he might be able to help in your own language, so the punctuations will be better for you. thats presuming italian is your main language. :)

i just went to post the corrected one on the wiki. but when i was doing it nothing was changing, so it is already the corrected one up there, which means if there is any grammer errors in the lesson then open office grammer checker did not see them. the spelling was not changed either. so that makes me at a loss to know why your viewing of it was bad ? unless its caused by an online language translator :-? :(

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Fraxav

Post by Fraxav »

Sure, the empirical method is good. Actually I use to spend time messing with functions, but since I'm really new to skinning (while not to image editing) I think I need something more. A good step by step guide is the best written thing I could imagine.
You hit it, I'm mother-toungue, so it' s harder to me to guess out what's not in the clearest english (or at least what I think it's not) :( (mind, it's not a matter of mis-spelling, just stops in the middle of sentences mess it all up...but I finished it anyway).
However, thanks again for your tutorials because I'm learning how to modify objects here and there. Still, I'd like to create a skin from scratch someday and a complete tutorial on this subjects is missing (morten's one lacks the theme part, maybe the most important?).
I'll check macmaster, thanks.
Meanwhile, other liks are welcome, if any.

Fraxav uses a Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on an Acer Aspire 5670 laptop with an Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66 GHz) processor, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 512 MB, 100 GB Hard Disc and 1 GB DDR2 Ram.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

There's nothing else available than what's at the wiki. I have contributed some sections to Morten's guide but after working on it, I really don't think it would be all that helpful. There are so many different ways to do it that the best way to learn is really just to play with it and use this: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... and_higher to figure out what some things stand for.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Fraxav wrote:You hit it, I'm mother-toungue, so it' s harder to me to guess out what's not in the clearest english (or at least what I think it's not) :( (mind, it's not a matter of mis-spelling, just stops in the middle of sentences mess it all up...but I finished it anyway).I'll check macmaster, thanks.
Meanwhile, other liks are welcome, if any.
thought it might have been the mother toungue, messing you up. yes macmaster will be of great help to you.

oh not mis - spelling, just my lax slang style of grammer, and pausing to think about the next line as i type. sorry. :(

:)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
DreadM

Post by DreadM »

Greetings

Intresting Discusion,I thougt also to make a skining help ,but i disided to let it because of my bad english.But i think a good way to do something like this is to work with images
(a image says more then 1000words)
Maybe it can Look like this:
You see this menu in a skin needs 3 objects and more,i think this is a good way to show this.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

DreadM wrote:Greetings

Intresting Discusion,I thougt also to make a skining help ,but i disided to let it because of my bad english.But i think a good way to do something like this is to work with images
(a image says more then 1000words)
Maybe it can Look like this:
You see this menu in a skin needs 3 objects and more,i think this is a good way to show this.
This method would certainly encourage me to want to try skinning, or at least modify a skin or two.

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
Fraxav

Post by Fraxav »

Yup, images are missing, too. Let's just mention the "image" in Morten's tutorial, to wich the reader is often sent to and that isn't in the tutorial at all :-? .
Too bad.
I still agree with you nohitter, but I think there's something too much specific to learn just with trials and errors. Again, images would help a bit.

Fraxav

Post by Fraxav »

Short off-topic: How can I rename the forms in themeeditor (Morten says to, but not how :wink: )? And, is the new name a standard or I can choose every name I like?

spacefish

Post by spacefish »

nynaevelan wrote:This method would certainly encourage me to want to try skinning, or at least modify a skin or two.
Same here!
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Fraxav wrote:Short off-topic: How can I rename the forms in theme editor (Morten says to, but not how :wink: )? And, is the new name a standard or I can choose every name I like?

the form he is talking about is the object, in order to rename the form you must select it in the left side of the editor.
then on the right side of the editor you will see the name of the form, if it is just called form then that will be what it is on the right side of the editor, click that word and type the new name you need.
as in his example type playerbackground. then click on the word object on the left side of the editor again
you will then see the name of the form has changed.

thats a lot of work making all the different forms, i found it easier to just use an already working skin's mskn file.
you will see all the form's with the names that way, and all you have to do is then change all the information the forum is using such as what images it needs to use and what size to show them.

and that leaves you only tons of artwork to change out. which means you need to import all the image maps you over layered with your images.,

also in using the already working skin's mskn file you can use the editor to export all the images in the mskn file
so you can then see what is needed to be change image wise for that mskn file then you just re add your changed images to the mskn file and it will show your skin when you use it.

in my lesson i thought about an image for doing teaching with, but when i did the one for creation of another project it took more space on line then was able to put on one site. so i decided to use the thousand words instead of the images. but i did put a few up for you. 8)
Fraxav

Post by Fraxav »

rovingcowboy wrote: in order to rename the form you must select it in the left side of the editor.
then on the right side of the editor you will see the name of the form, if it is just called form then that will be what it is on the right side of the editor, click that word and type the new name you need.
Already tried, but not working. I cannot rename the form... Tips?

P.S. I see that making a new skin from scratch is hard, but I wanted to know if I can rename the form as 'Sfondo' insted of 'playerbackgroud' without having problems. Don't know, maybe the program needs to see that name and not others...

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Fraxav wrote:
rovingcowboy wrote: in order to rename the form you must select it in the left side of the editor.
Already tried, but not working. I cannot rename the form... Tips?

P.S. I see that making a new skin from scratch is hard, but I wanted to know if I can rename the form as 'Sfondo' insted of 'playerbackgroud' without having problems. Don't know, maybe the program needs to see that name and not others...

as far as i know you need to keep the english names you see in the list.

that is strange you can't rename that? you should be able to click in there select the name that is in there now, delete it and then type in your new name for it.

the tree on the left should have the objects on top. then you should have the list of objects under it.
you select that item from the sub list of objects then go to the right side and click on the name of it and change the name. that is how it is done, if you can not do that you might have got a bad download of the theme edtior.
try to get it again and install it a second time. maybe that will fix what ever did not get set up the first time? :-?

8)
Fraxav

Post by Fraxav »

OK, got it working ;)