MediaMonkey-Like photo organizer?

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

wto605

MediaMonkey-Like photo organizer?

Post by wto605 »

Hey,

I've been a religious user of media monkey free for a while now. And as I'm nearing the end of organizing over 12000 songs I need another excuse to spend countless hours at the computer organizing files. So of course I thought of my pictures folder which is 50 gigabyte birds nest. Since I loved MM for organized my music so much I figured who better to suggest an organizer than other MediaMonkey lovers!

Any suggestions you have are much appreciated, thanks for you time!

Will
ashishg

Re: MediaMonkey-Like photo organizer?

Post by ashishg »

I think Picasa is quite good.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i like the old freeware PAW Photo organizer viewer program.
:D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
twinbee

Post by twinbee »

Good topic.
Which of the above mentioned have the MM-style "text columns and rows" view for maximum tag text display. Also it must support custom tags, along with a decent search that could scan immediately through all tags like MM does. Are there any which meet this rather demanding criteria?
MegaDJ v2 - Lightning fast and easy to use search to replace the standard AutoPlaylist. Features include random jukebox style playlists, along with syncing, weighting options, and logic complete querying.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

A picture is worth a thousand words, isn't it?
I don't see the interest of displaying pictures in "tags format".
Like Ashishg, I use Picasa too. It's made by Google and it's free.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
wto605

Post by wto605 »

Thank you for the great answers... I guess I should clear up some of the confusion in terms of what I mean by MediaMonkey-like.

The biggest thing with media monkey that I've liked is the control it gives me over the music files themselves. MediaMonkey is not the only program that I (let alone other people) use to access my music, so stuff like organizing the music exactly how I want it, synchronizing tags, etc. is a must.

Beyond that I have actually gone back and forth with myself on the issue of interface.

Like twinbee suggested I would mostly be using this to as a way of processing my pictures, not viewing them.

On the other hand, I feel like whenever I'm looking for a picture I switch from xplorer2 (a file explorer that is a lot like MediaMonkey in twinbee's sense) to windows explorer for thumbnails (x2 can handle thumbnails, but it doesn't cache them).

But then, if my pictures were organized I wouldn't need to go digging around and thumbnails wouldn't be necessary (and I hate those annoying thumbs.db files).

Regardless of this dilemma, my reason for asking here at MediaMonkey forums was actually to find both types so I could try out a few different programs.

Thanks again!
Will

P.S. Free is a big plus, but not necessary

Post by Guest »

Adobe Photoshop Elements is pretty much standard. You can try new version of it using free trial period. You can still get older versions relatively cheap.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i got one question and it is the main reason i won't use the google photo library program.

that question is.

How does google get all those personal photos when you search on google for a certain photo? :-?

some of those images that show in results look like they came from a personal album on someones computer.
:(
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

rovingcowboy wrote:i got one question and it is the main reason i won't use the google photo library program.

that question is.

How does google get all those personal photos when you search on google for a certain photo? :-?

some of those images that show in results look like they came from a personal album on someones computer.
:(
Because people uploaded them to the internet to share with family members, relatives, etc. It's one of the features of Picasa actually, that you can easily share your photos with others. Of course they don't get uploaded unless you want to share them!

PS - I don't use Picasa, just telling the facts.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

Made by Google doesn't meen it's working on internet. Picasa is a standalone application and personally I never used any photo sharing/publication. I use it because it simple, intuitive and powerful.

I don't think such a big corp like Goggle can permit itself to steal people's photos without their consent. (Unless it is written in very very small in the license agreement which I challenge anybody to read!) :lol:
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

just didn't know nohitter151 so i got really untusting of google when i seen all them photos that looked like they should not have been found.. :)

i don't think i'll read that long lic agreement for now there eyal its too boring and toooooooooo looooooonnnnnngggg. :lol:
Gershwin04

Post by Gershwin04 »

I am also a huge fan of the MediaMonkey philosophy concerning organizing music files (in my own favourite structure).
In that matter I am also looking for a MediaMonkey like way to organize my pictures and maybe in the future also movies and ebooks....
In the past few weeks I tried several other photo organizers, both free and commercial.
Picasa soon was found nog fulfilling my needs, I was unable to group my pictures (albums) like the playlists in MM.
Also I want my collecion to be read-only so I can sync and keep a consisten backup.
Adobe Phohoshop elements is a real overkill and many others just don't have it or have a very bad performance with 12.000+ pictures on an NAS.
The only one close to my needs is FotoAlbum from FotoFime (http://www.fototime.com/pages/faprointro) but whe MediaMonkey PhotoEdition comes to market.... :wink:

Regards,
Gershwin
mccstumble

Post by mccstumble »

@ Gershwin04

Couldn't agree more. There are tonnes of programs for photo management and they all have thier own pro's and cons but somehow I think if the Mediamokey Team put their mind to it and had the same success as we currently enjoy with audion and video files it would be a killer programme. Can't wait until MM is looking after my photos and also streaming them to DLNA device and syncing to my smartphone.

Ideally if it owrks it will be like when they took all the hard work out of managing audio files - I still shudder at all teh grief of having to tag them and associate album art etc etc before they were eventually dropped into the audio library. Then - MM came along and simplified everything.

Bring on MM photo management..........
Music & Video Management: Mediamonkey Ver 4.0.0.1436Gold Lifetime
Music Server: Logitech Media Server (LMS) 7.7.0-33512
AddOns: MonkeySqueeze Ver 2.0 http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=59515
On Demand Music: LastFM, Spotify via LMS
isabelle

Post by isabelle »

I use Picasa as well (swithcing to Lightroom when i need to edit my photos) but i would love to see image management in MM :)
connie64

Post by connie64 »

I would love to see Picasa have a similar 'Automatic File Organizer' that MediaMonkey has (and probably iTunes but I don't know cause I don't use it). But MediaMonkey will create folder levels of your choosing AND also rewrite file names in forest City HS Class of 1975 any style you want with variables. For example the file name structure could be: <Artist> - <Album> - <Track #> and MM will do all of this in the background on your hard drive.
Last edited by connie64 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.