Podcast Playlist?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

3rugger

Podcast Playlist?

Post by 3rugger »

Is there a way to have MM create a podcast playlist when syncing to my device? I have a Blackberry 8130 and would like the playlists to go in the same directory as other playlists.
m1kesy

Re: Podcast Playlist?

Post by m1kesy »

I'd like an option to auto-create and copy over a playlist for new podcasts that are being synch'ed to the device (mine's a Creative Zen V). This would mean no more manually choosing which files to remove and add to the Zen's "Now Playing" list. I could just wait until I've caught up with the old podcasts before starting to listen to the new ones, and ensure I hear them in the right order.
Signatures are for wasting space on forum pages and for distracting others from your stupid posts
My H/W: BlackBerry PlayBook, Blackberry Curve 9360, Blackberry Curve 8520 (retired), Sansa Fuze 4GB (retired), LG Cookie KP-500 (retired), Creative Zen V 2GB (fried), Motorola V3 RAZR (retired) Creative MuVo TX 1GB (retired), Creative MuVo 128MB (loaned to father-in-law)
Wife's H/W: Blackberry Curve 9360, Creative Zen Mosaic 4GB, Blackberry Curve 8520 (retired), LG Cookie KP-500 (retired), Creative Zen Stone Plus 2GB (retired)
S/W: MediaMonkey 4.03 Gold Lifetime on Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Can't you just create an autoplaylist where Genre = Podcast and Playcount = 0?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
m1kesy

Post by m1kesy »

No.

I don't listen on the PC, only sync the podcasts for listening on my commute, so the playcount never changes. If there was a flag for having been previously sync'ed I could use that, but I don't know of one and don't want to use a custom field which I would have to manually update for any files I auto-sync.

I now have a system using two auto-playlists for podcasts:
  • #1 - podcasts added less than 15 days ago (for identifying newly downloaded files)
  • #2 - publish/recording date is on or after dd/mm/yyyy (the date I last sync'ed)
I use #1 to identify any new podcasts, then do a clean-up (when the podcaster hasn't tagged it with a full date or a bad artist/album/etc). When I'm happy that all the podcasts I want are included, I sync using #2 then edit the title and parameters of #2 to record the date I did it.

It's not too time-consuming and I mostly get the files I want, but I can miss one if a new or updated podcast with an old date downloads and I don't spot it. Or if I forget to update the auto-playlists to reflect the sync date.

I would prefer to be able to either:
  • sync files that were added since a specific date (not just in last N days)
  • sync files that have sync count = 0 (and it increments automatically like the played# field)
Perhaps a script could increment the played# field (or a custom field if necessary) during a sync? I know I should figure it out myself but perhaps a generous and benevolant code king will take pity on their very grateful but busy/stupid/lazy subjects ... pretty please?
Signatures are for wasting space on forum pages and for distracting others from your stupid posts
My H/W: BlackBerry PlayBook, Blackberry Curve 9360, Blackberry Curve 8520 (retired), Sansa Fuze 4GB (retired), LG Cookie KP-500 (retired), Creative Zen V 2GB (fried), Motorola V3 RAZR (retired) Creative MuVo TX 1GB (retired), Creative MuVo 128MB (loaned to father-in-law)
Wife's H/W: Blackberry Curve 9360, Creative Zen Mosaic 4GB, Blackberry Curve 8520 (retired), LG Cookie KP-500 (retired), Creative Zen Stone Plus 2GB (retired)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Autoplaylist has criteria Synchronization Status
m1kesy

Post by m1kesy »

Sorry for the delayed response, guess I was embarrassed to find the status field just after I posted my last message.

So now I have an autoplaylist that has these criteria:

Date >= a few days before the last time I synchronised
Genre equals Podcast
Synchronisation Status Isn't synched to SANSA FUZE

I use the old date in case any podcasts are released after I synchronised that have dates from before (ie they are out of sequence or just very late). In practice this rarely proves necessary but it can and does happen on some of my subscribed feeds.

This then tends to give me a playlist with some podcasts I've already synchronised to / listened to / deleted from my player, followed by the new files I've yet to hear. Before I sync, I always check that recent downloads have a valid <DATE> tag (using my other autoplaylist of podcasts added in the last 14 days).

My podcasts are renamed during sync with a filename starting with their date. This allows me to listen to them in approximately the intended order. I'm not as
bothered as I was with having them grouped together or in separate folders. This is the path I find works for me for all the stuff I tend to sync:

\$if(<Genre>=Podcast,Podcasts\<Date>-<Album Artist>-<Title>,$if(<Genre>=Audiobook,Audiobooks\<Album>\<Disc#:2>-<Track#:3>-<Title>,Music\<Album Artist>\<Album> [Disc <Disc#>]\<Track#:3> <Title>))
m1kesy

Post by m1kesy »

And getting back to the original post's subject, none of the devices I've used so far works well with playlists for anything other than music.
DickDiver

Post by DickDiver »

Hello

can you or some one else please tell me which USB Filter in MM works with the given code?

If I try your line MM tells me it can not create those files on my Sansa Fuze. I got the generic USB filter.

Thank you!
Joe Dell Dell